Women's marches in Canada today

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Women's marches in Canada today

Post by The Green Barbarian »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216782

Women across Canada are heading out in force today to protest the treatment of women in Iran and the Middle East. Good to see these women finally getting it that action needs to happen, and action needs to happen now! Wait, what's that now? They aren't marching about that?? Why not?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Women's marches in Canada today

Post by JLives »

Well what time does your march start? You seem really concerned about this. So do something about it instead of complaining that other people have other issues.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-216782-4-.htm#216782

Women across Canada are heading out in force today to protest the treatment of women in Iran and the Middle East. Good to see these women finally getting it that action needs to happen, and action needs to happen now! Wait, what's that now? They aren't marching about that?? Why not?

People are entitled to support or not support whatever causes they wish. Most people only support causes which have some reasonable impact on their lives or the lives of people close to them.

Anyway, let us know when you are going on your march in protest of the treatment of women in Iran and the Middle East.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

I felt the sarcasm before checking the link, lol.

I think this woman’s march is more of a snowstorm.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Verum wrote:
Anyway, let us know when you are going on your march in protest of the treatment of women in Iran and the Middle East.

as expected, just nonsensical apologist garbage from the usual apologist suspects. Just so sad.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Verum wrote:

as expected, just nonsensical apologist garbage from the usual apologist suspects. Just so sad.

So, never then. Just as expected. You'll whine about other's not protesting for a cause but won't do so yourself. Good to know
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Verum wrote:So, never then. Just as expected. You'll whine about other's not protesting for a cause but won't do so yourself. Good to know

And all you do is respond with even more apologist garbage. So freaking sad. Rather than post nonsense like this, what do you think? Actually add some value to the discussion. Do you think that there should be some kind of marches and awareness about how women are treated like dogs in certain cultures (actually, dogs have it better). Or do you just want to stay within your strict echo chamber and never ever disagree with the narratives you've been forced to swallow, no matter how bitter and stupid? Do you have an opinion at all? Can you show some capacity to think outside this incredibly tiny box you seem to want to live in?
d0nb
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by d0nb »

As one who has never had the slightest interest in being part of a mob of any kind, I always find it astonishing that people are so easily herded.

A need to feel a part of something, I guess. Even if that something is based on erroneous assumptions.
The biggest problem of censorship is that it tends to be the last resort of the ideologically arrogant and intellectually lazy … A day spent in defense of freedom of speech is a day spent in the company of bigots and hate mongers. – Omid Malekan
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Verum wrote:People are entitled to support or not support whatever causes they wish. Most people only support causes which have some reasonable impact on their lives or the lives of people close to them.

The marchers and media aren’t quite sure what to call the events since they are not cohesive. Some media say It is a March against Trumps inauguration, but that makes it difficult for women in other countries which don’t have a Trump, so they say it is for women’s rights, or MeToo, or equal opportunities, or a mix of other things. The March appears like an incohesive mixed feminist anger bag. Women are not missing on equality or opportunity according to JP.

Before Trump was president, he might have grabbed a p*ssy. Maybe there is someone you know who heard Trump say this and now they are devastated for life because somehow it made a reasonable impact on their life. Maybe there is someone you know who had a family member chopped to bits by machete in Iran or Saudi Arabia for a much smaller infraction, and that family is understandably devastated by their actual loss, rather than imaginary loss. Depends what you consider reasonable. You are right though, you can protest whatever you chose, and many protest dumb things at the expense of ignoring important things.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

It's a mish mash of ideas, causes and whatever. Some I am sure have no clue why they are there. You wouldn't want to be standing next to someone with a sign supporting Islam if maybe you were waving a rainbow flag. Just sayin.

Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
Verum wrote:So, never then. Just as expected. You'll whine about other's not protesting for a cause but won't do so yourself. Good to know

And all you do is respond with even more apologist garbage. So freaking sad. Rather than post nonsense like this, what do you think? Actually add some value to the discussion. Do you think that there should be some kind of marches and awareness about how women are treated like dogs in certain cultures (actually, dogs have it better). Or do you just want to stay within your strict echo chamber and never ever disagree with the narratives you've been forced to swallow, no matter how bitter and stupid? Do you have an opinion at all? Can you show some capacity to think outside this incredibly tiny box you seem to want to live in?

Simply more deflection.

This thread was started by you whining about people not protesting some cause you thought they should be protesting. I simply think that everyone is entitled to protest whatever cause they want to and it is not up to either me or you to judge them for doing so. If nothing else, at least they are getting out there and doing something, no matter how ineffective it might be. But I guess that's because I support freedom of expression and all that. Also I think it is a bit hypocritical to complain about others not doing what you won't do.

I will happily protest for the causes I feel appropriate to protest and I don't feel the need to complain that other's do or don't want to join with me. I guess I just support people having the liberty to have their own opinions, causes and to protest what they wish to protest.

I assure you that I have never been forced to swallow any narrative and I borrow from all over the political spectrum for my opinions, which cover many topics, most of which I just don't feel the need to share with someone like you.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Once again, I was at work today during the Women's March event sweeping North America.

I was contemplating all the stories women told me about through-out 27 years of working with elderly women of a certain age, women who remembered things that no one should have to.

The usual stuff about growing up in a closed World, where people didn't call it abuse, they called it "life."

Nowhere to go.
How rare divorces were "back then."
How they had no control over the bullying of their children by their husbands.
Now they discovered their bonds were cashed in by with the complicity of the small town bank manager.
How their budgets were drunk away in bars,
Her potato crop money was blown in a bar in one night,
Being shoved to the floor repeatedly, emotional abuse, used for sex every single night,
Being sexually abused by men who were supposed to protect them,
How they got married at 16 to escape being slaves to their parent's and on their parents farms.
How they got paid less, in the specific case that never left me is how the woman got paid five cents per box right beside the guy who got paid ten cents per box,
I recall how at Sun-Rype there was this worker who always "somehow" managed to touch the worker's women's legs while he was taking down boxes of culls, the women sat elevated abit, see,
How the waitress was finally screaming at the cook, "stop it, STOP it" because he kept harassing her sexually,
Being kicked to the floor and being screamed at, "get up, get up" and being repeatedly kicked to the floor.
"I was dragged by my hair down the hallway."
Men sitting in Chai houses while the women worked in the fields <----GB, this one is for you, okay? :D

Did I say this was all in their memories? Kidding, ^^ some of those are mine.

March away ladies, no one else has to understand.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Jlabute wrote:
Verum wrote:People are entitled to support or not support whatever causes they wish. Most people only support causes which have some reasonable impact on their lives or the lives of people close to them.

The marchers and media aren’t quite sure what to call the events since they are not cohesive. Some media say It is a March against Trumps inauguration, but that makes it difficult for women in other countries which don’t have a Trump, so they say it is for women’s rights, or MeToo, or equal opportunities, or a mix of other things. The March appears like an incohesive mixed feminist anger bag. Women are not missing on equality or opportunity according to JP. Assuming you are talking about Peterson, I'd suggest you read other more well informed commentators and experts on the topic, but even still, he did say in that wonderful interview with Newman that one of the components of the pay gap is due to gender (about 6 minutes into that interview), which suggests that there is some measure of inequality, even if small in his opinion. Since Peterson is a psychologist, I wouldn't expect him to be an expert on sociology, and I even suspect that he's a bit weak on his statistics too, based on some of his statements in the past.

Before Trump was president, he might have grabbed a p*ssy. Maybe there is someone you know who heard Trump say this and now they are devastated for life because somehow it made a reasonable impact on their life. Maybe there is someone you know who had a family member chopped to bits by machete in Iran or Saudi Arabia for a much smaller infraction, and that family is understandably devastated by their actual loss, rather than imaginary loss. Depends what you consider reasonable. You are right though, you can protest whatever you chose, and many protest dumb things at the expense of ignoring important things.

Even if what you say is true, which I don't believe, it still is no reason to whine about people protesting what they choose to protest. It's their right to do so. If you think something else is a better cause, then you go and protest it.

Many people believe that the President can influence the people by his attitudes and behaviours. If this is true, it is not unreasonable that Trump's comments, and behaviours, from basically glorifying sexual assault to serial marital infidelity, might actually have some negative consequences on the people. I guess it depends how much you believe that ideas spread from leaders to their people and become part of their lives, but since this is the basic premise of religion and even extremist movements, I suspect that it's a real thing and worthy of consideration. Trump's behaviours help set the tone in society for what is acceptable and if someone wants to protest that, that's their choice. I actually don't think that such is likely to change much as I suspect the worst offenders are likely to belittle the opinions of those who part-take in these marches rather than attempt to hear their concerns and see if there is any reasonable validity to them.
Last edited by Verum on Jan 20th, 2018, 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Queen K wrote:Men sitting in Chai houses while the women worked in the fields <----GB, this one is for you, okay? :D

Thanks! I have seen this with my own eyes, many times, in certain barbaric cultures hostile to women. Does anyone care? It appears if you point this out, you are accused of "whining" by half-wits.

unfortunately, with so many mixed messages, there seems to be a lot of confusion. Hopefully this will change over time.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Queen K wrote:Once again, I was at work today during the Women's March event sweeping North America.

I was contemplating all the stories women told me about through-out 27 years of working with elderly women of a certain age, women who remembered things that no one should have to.

The usual stuff about growing up in a closed World, where people didn't call it abuse, they called it "life."

Nowhere to go.
How rare divorces were "back then."
How they had no control over the bullying of their children by their husbands.
Now they discovered their bonds were cashed in by with the complicity of the small town bank manager.
How their budgets were drunk away in bars,
Her potato crop money was blown in a bar in one night,
Being shoved to the floor repeatedly, emotional abuse, used for sex every single night,
Being sexually abused by men who were supposed to protect them,
How they got married at 16 to escape being slaves to their parent's and on their parents farms.
How they got paid less, in the specific case that never left me is how the woman got paid five cents per box right beside the guy who got paid ten cents per box,
I recall how at Sun-Rype there was this worker who always "somehow" managed to touch the worker's women's legs while he was taking down boxes of culls, the women sat elevated abit, see,
How the waitress was finally screaming at the cook, "stop it, STOP it" because he kept harassing her sexually,
Being kicked to the floor and being screamed at, "get up, get up" and being repeatedly kicked to the floor.
"I was dragged by my hair down the hallway."
Men sitting in Chai houses while the women worked in the fields <----GB, this one is for you, okay? :D

Did I say this was all in their memories? Kidding, ^^ some of those are mine.

Don’t they though? If the march is trying to deliver a message then some sort of understanding is necessary.

Return to “Canada”