Time to boycott travel to Mexico.

westbankkid
Übergod

Time to boycott travel to Mexico.

Post by westbankkid »

:1419: The way the Mexicans are killing and jailing innocent Canadians it's about time we stop all tourist travel to that 3rd world bananna republik. If you don't bribe an official you are either jailed or murdered.
The only way to straighten out their justice system is by hitting them in the pocket book by Boycotting travel to Mexico.

Go anywhere else but Mexico on your next holiday
Dolores
Board Meister

Re: Time to BOYCOTT travel to Mexico.

Post by Dolores »

westbankkid wrote::1419: The way the Mexicans are killing and jailing innocent Canadians it's about time we stop all tourist travel to that 3rd world bananna republik. If you don't bribe an official you are either jailed or murdered.
The only way to straighten out their justice system is by hitting them in the pocket book by Boycotting travel to Mexico.

Go anywhere else but Mexico on your next holiday

I am in total agreement with you on this one. I used to spend a great deal of time in Mexico City for work and the police corruption is crazy. They can arrest you for something as small as jaywalking and put you in jail too. The only way out is to bribe them and then hope that if you offer the bribe that it is enough because now your going to jail and having Jose do a cavity search with him and his buddies waiting in the wings. (guy or girl doesn't matter in fact I have heard they prefer the guys over the girls)

CANADIANS......STAY AWAY FROM MEXICO IF YOU ENJOY YOUR FREEDOM OR BETTER YET YOUR LIFE!!!!
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Here's a good site for Canadians to check such things (and this is the page for Mexico):

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/dest/report-en. ... try=184000
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

Have you people actually stopped for second and considered that Brenda Martin might actually be guilty? I don't know what evidence was used to convict her but I do know for a fact that she was in Mexico illegally and also working there illegally so she wasn't beyond bending the rules when it suited her.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

:1419:
Centurion wrote:Have you people actually stopped for second and considered that Brenda Martin might actually be guilty? I don't know what evidence was used to convict her but I do know for a fact that she was in Mexico illegally and also working there illegally so she wasn't beyond bending the rules when it suited her.

Maybe you should read this URL and it will open your eyes to what Mexico is all about. It is a corrupt 3rd worl bananna republik with crime running rampant and most Police Officers on the take.

Wake up and smell the coffee.

By the way... The above URL is the Canadian Government posting of warnings to Canadians travelling to Mexico.
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

:1419:
I don't know what evidence was used to convict her but I do know for a fact that she was in Mexico illegally and also working there illegally so she wasn't beyond bending the rules when it suited her.

Regardless of whether what you say is true or not, there are millions of ******* in the US illegally and they don't throw them in jail. Actually most of them were given Citizenship during the last amnesty.
Centurion
Board Meister

Post by Centurion »

westbankkid wrote::1419:

Regardless of whether what you say is true or not, there are millions of ****** in the US illegally and they don't throw them in jail. Actually most of them were given Citizenship during the last amnesty.

Don't you think we have evolved beyond using derogatory names to describe other peoples and cultures?
I realize that Mexico has it's corruption but that still doesn't excuse any alleged illegal activities that may have been engaged in by Brenda Martin.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Anyone who did not already know of these problems is asleep at the wheel. None of this is new. It your responsability to know what is going on before you visit any country.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Why does the conviction of a person in Mexico that has been found guilty of a serious crime serve as a warning to others about going to Mexico for a peaceful, respectful holiday. What has happened to this women is great. She is actually going to serve time in a prison for a crime she committed. It does not effect the rest of us as we venture to our resort destinations.
Here is a little advise that yes in this country you do not need to respect but in others you do.
... do not act like an idiot and draw attention on yourself, dont get completely drunk, do not break their laws and ways and respect them and their country in every way. Yes, there is still those stories of people doing absolutely nothing and getting into trouble, but I have never heard of anyone doing nothing and getting into trouble for it, but hey, the less of you that go on a holiday there the cheaper for me. By the way, dont ever go to Thialand if you cant follow the basic's of life.
Zazzle

Post by Zazzle »

Its not like the RCMP or all the great either.
Now because I don't know all the facts that were presented I don't know if she was guilty or not. So I can't say if the Mexican authorities followed THEIR judicial system correctly. But it does say in the CTV article that you are guilty until proven innocent (much like Canada it just isn't as blatant).

"She would also likely be freed from prison after her first parole hearing, because Canadians officials would credit her for the two years she has already served in Mexico.
"In Canada, you can get double credit for time served, so that would mean she has already served four years and four months if she gets the double-time clause," reported CTV's Lisa LaFlamme from Guadalajara."
This was also taken from that same article, she will obviously get double time, and probably house arrest. So its really not that bad (if she was guilty). If she wasn't guilty its a very tough lesson to learn. Working and living in a country illegally is a risky proposition. 5 years does seem like a convenient amount of time though, the Mexicans can say she was guilty and have reason to have had her in jail for so long and when she gets transported to Canada she will be free again in a short period of time.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I can't say whether Martin is guilty or not but I do know my travels to Juarez gave me the creeps and after watching a movie called "Bordertown" a couple of nights ago I would be even less inclined to travel to Mexico.

Though not much emphasis is put on it that movie is based on real events and ongoing problems.

It's very apparent that they have little regard for the lives of their own people so it's no surprise that visitors encounter problems.

There are enough safer destinations to choose from.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
unfazed
Übergod

Post by unfazed »

Isn't that what people said about Canada after the YVR tasering episode?

My feeling is that if you aren't there to get smashed on Spring Break or take part in defrauding innocent people you are relatively safe in Mexico. Yes, there are corrupt cops and other people in positions of authority, just like here (and everywhere).
Glassman1

Post by Glassman1 »

My Family and I have not gone to Mexico for some years now. To much crap going on there. Went to Hawaii(Kauai) instead. Loved it and after going there I will not bother going to Mexico again. I have a friend that lives there(PV) and yes the police are a problem. Just on my side of the family Mexico is loseing out on 14 tourists.
Abu

Post by Abu »

Yes, I agree all of the people who want to boycott Mexico should! I lived in Mexico for 2 years, and witnessed many many stupid tourists. I worked in a hotel where people would get blindingly drunk, flash huge wads of money, be generally rude or ignorant to locals, and much more.

I witnessed on several occasions people drink to excess, and then go swim in the ocean, or jump from one balcony to another on the 4th floor. I've also seen many many times people talking down to locals, or maybe they would have a drink, and decide to pick a fight with a local at a bar. Even better is when they would complain that no one around them spoke English, and then tell everyone how much money they paid, and how much better they deserved. Oh yes really?!?!?! You paid $1000 for a vacation which included your flight, all your meals, and beverages, transportation to and from the hotel for 7 days. Yes, wow we should all have bowed to you, and your greatness.

I could rant and rave for pages on why people who want to boycott Mexico should, it's people like you that give the rest of us a bad name. So please stay away, and tell your friends, because birds of a feather...well you know how the saying goes!!!!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zim wrote:Why does the conviction of a person in Mexico that has been found guilty of a serious crime serve as a warning to others about going to Mexico for a peaceful, respectful holiday. What has happened to this women is great. She is actually going to serve time in a prison for a crime she committed.

Ummm, because she hasn’t been convicted of any crime but is being held pending the outcome of a trial yet to be scheduled or heard. This is great ?!?!? She is serving time in prison for a crime she hasn’t been convicted of, and for which most of the evidence so far strongly suggests she is completely innocent.

Smurf wrote:Anyone who did not already know of these problems is asleep at the wheel. None of this is new. It your responsability to know what is going on before you visit any country.

100% agreement with this point on visiting any country. That’s why given Mexico’s track record over the last few years there is no way that country is getting any more of my tourist dollars. Pretty sad state of affairs for a country that would like to consider itself a member of the so-called “developed” countries in this world.

Return to “Canada”