Cyber-bullying

Spectre
Fledgling

Cyber-bullying

Post by Spectre »

Did anyone see this on Castanet? Just wondering about opinions out there that might have a comment or two on the subject. I anticipate those with teenage children will have some stories to relate.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Re: Cyber-bullying

Post by whitecandle »

Criminalize cyberbullying, teachers urge feds
National group represents 220,000 teachers
Jul 12, 2008 05:53 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONCTON, N.B. – Delegates representing 220,000 teachers across the country have unanimously voted in favour of pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offence.

The Canadian Teachers' Federation is calling on the federal government to take a tougher stand on cyberbullying, and 100 delegates endorsed the move at the group's annual general meeting in Moncton, N.B. today.

"We're going to be lobbying MPs to look at any and all kinds of legislation, including the Criminal Code, where there needs to be some updating and strengthening," said federation president Emily Noble.

http://www.thestar.com/article/459332
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

I'm sorry, can somebody explain to me what 'cyberbullying' is?
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

FreeRights wrote:I'm sorry, can somebody explain to me what 'cyberbullying' is?

Jeez, are you that dumb? Do I have to beat it into you with my keyboard? Sheesh. Idjit.

nothing serious, just a visual aid
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Kidding aside, check this out:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyber-bullying
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

FreeRights wrote:I'm sorry, can somebody explain to me what 'cyberbullying' is?

Did you ride the short bus to skewl?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

All form of bullying are bad this I will not argue, but part of the issue we have these days is that the newer generations are being coddled far to much and need to learn to have thicker skin in my opinion. Yes bullying can make a kid feel bad, but teach your kids who they are and why they can be proud of it and not give a crap about some other 12 year olds opinion about it. Teach em some wit as well.

I've found that from about grade 7-12 kids will be at the cruelest they will ever be, and have seen shocking changes in some people after school is done as they realize the world doesn't care and to function they better buck up and stop being an idiot. Some never change but many do, but less and less are.....why? Because we allow it and enable it, we a making everybody a victim somewhere at sometime....as long as you show people as victims they will be predators who will hunt them.

We've also striped teachers of all authority in the school system to deal with troublemakers and what not, so they ask for laws to be made and police to do it. Guess what police can do to kids who have shot, abused, and stolen, and vandalised when under the age of 18......oh yeah. Zip. You think they will be able to put any sort of funtion for a bully. No, not anything useful at least.

We offer up victims, and no penalty for preying on them, and people wonder why this happens. To make a law for this that won't be enforced is simply passing the buck to make it someone elses problem.

I understand where this is comming from, it just won't do anything but let more people look the other way because it's not their problem.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

whitecandle wrote:Criminalize cyberbullying, teachers urge feds
National group represents 220,000 teachers
Jul 12, 2008 05:53 PM
THE CANADIAN PRESS

MONCTON, N.B. – Delegates representing 220,000 teachers across the country have unanimously voted in favour of pushing to make cyberbullying a criminal offence.

The Canadian Teachers' Federation is calling on the federal government to take a tougher stand on cyberbullying, and 100 delegates endorsed the move at the group's annual general meeting in Moncton, N.B. today.

"We're going to be lobbying MPs to look at any and all kinds of legislation, including the Criminal Code, where there needs to be some updating and strengthening," said federation president Emily Noble.

http://www.thestar.com/article/459332

BUMP

Did anything come out of this? I believe I heard a recent news article lately about criminalizing cyber bullying.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Veovis wrote:A
We've also striped teachers of all authority in the school system to deal with troublemakers and what not, so they ask for laws to be made and police to do it. Guess what police can do to kids who have shot, abused, and stolen, and vandalised when under the age of 18......oh yeah. Zip. You think they will be able to put any sort of funtion for a bully. No, not anything useful at least.

We offer up victims, and no penalty for preying on them, and people wonder why this happens. To make a law for this that won't be enforced is simply passing the buck to make it someone elses problem.

Aside from your comments, parents no longer have the time to parent in some cases. The kids have no respect for anyone, and are never held accountable. We are really missing it.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis wrote:All form of bullying are bad this I will not argue, but part of the issue we have these days is that the newer generations are being coddled far to much and need to learn to have thicker skin in my opinion. Yes bullying can make a kid feel bad, but teach your kids who they are and why they can be proud of it and not give a crap about some other 12 year olds opinion about it. Teach em some wit as well.

I've found that from about grade 7-12 kids will be at the cruelest they will ever be, and have seen shocking changes in some people after school is done as they realize the world doesn't care and to function they better buck up and stop being an idiot. Some never change but many do, but less and less are.....why? Because we allow it and enable it, we a making everybody a victim somewhere at sometime....as long as you show people as victims they will be predators who will hunt them.

I understand where this is comming from, it just won't do anything but let more people look the other way because it's not their problem.

There is thicker skin but then there is the effects of long term, unrelenting, 24/7 bullying that kids are not subjected to via social media. It's no longer a matter of going to school and then getting away from it all back at home.

Unfortunately some children do not get perspective, that all this can be remedied in the real World outside of school. And sometimes "school" never really goes away.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For example, if someone wrote something really filthy about your daughter, I mean, demeaning in the worst way, how do you now repair the damage?

How old is she?
How old is the perpertator?
To whom was it in front of? As in her fb friends? Or Snapchat or somewhere else?
How does she react and what are the long term consequences?

Back when this thread was started, I'm not sure there was as much attention to these questions as there is now, here's an up-date.

https://www.getcybersafe.gc.ca/cnt/cbrb ... cs-en.aspx

Return to “Canada”