Revocation of Order of Canada Membership of Stephen Fonyo

logicalview
Guru

Revocation of Order of Canada Membership of Stephen Fonyo

Post by logicalview »

Steve Fonyo on Fonyo Beach
Note:No tennis shoes have been found on this beach.

VANCOUVER — Steve Fonyo, the Canadian who lost his left leg to cancer at age 12 and later embarked on a cross-Canada fundraising marathon in the footsteps of Terry Fox, has been stripped of his Order of Canada membership because of his criminal convictions, according to the Rideau Hall Press Office.

Fundraising in the footsteps of Terry Fox.

The termination of Mr. Fonyo's membership in the Order of Canada is related to his multiple criminal convictions, for which there are no outstanding appeals.
Not afraid to say "It".
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: Revocation of Order of Canada Membership of Stephen Fonyo

Post by hellomynameis »

Seems about right.

wiki wrote:Fonyo's brushes with the law have been well documented. In 1996, he pleaded guilty to 16 charges for offences in Edmonton, including assault with a weapon, aggravated assault, fraud for writing bad cheques totalling $10,000 to supermarkets and possession of a stolen vehicle. He has also been convicted at least five times of impaired driving and seven times of driving without a licence, most recently in the fall of 2008. On Aug.13, 2009, Fonyo, who was last known to have been working as a heavy-machinery mechanic, appeared in Surrey Provincial Court charged with one count of assault. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to one day in jail. He was credited for 10 days already served. He was also subject to a one-year probation order. But just five days later, the 44-year-old was back in Surrey court, having breached his conditions. He pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 14 days in jail.

Policy and Procedure for Termination of Appointment to the Order Of Canada wrote: 3. The Advisory Council shall consider the termination of a person's appointment to the Order of Canada if

(a) the person has been convicted of a criminal offence; or

(b) the conduct of the person

(i) constitutes a significant departure from generally-recognized standards of public behaviour which is seen to undermine the credibility, integrity or relevance of the Order, or detracts from the original grounds upon which the appointment was based; or

(ii) has been subject to official sanction, such as a fine or a reprimand, by an adjudicating body, professional association or other organization.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Brian Mulroney should be striped of it also.

Especially when you read the description of the one he has. The Companion Order of Canada

"have demonstrated the highest degree of merit to Canada and humanity, on either the national or international scene."
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

I feel sorry for Fonyo.
He was thrust into the spotlight and people expected Terry Fox version 2.0. I think Fonyo cracked under the pressure. I give him credit: what he did was NOT easy, especially in the shadow of Terry Fox. I think it is sad that the good he did do is largely forgotten.

I am not absolving him for his post run actions though. He did what he did, and he has come out and said he was wrong, which I have to respect.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

It is sad to hear, but not a surprise.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Public support for Fonyo is growing! He's becoming some sort of folk hero.
Quite amazing.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Fritzthecat wrote:I feel sorry for Fonyo.
He was thrust into the spotlight and people expected Terry Fox version 2.0. I think Fonyo cracked under the pressure. I give him credit: what he did was NOT easy, especially in the shadow of Terry Fox. I think it is sad that the good he did do is largely forgotten.

I am not absolving him for his post run actions though. He did what he did, and he has come out and said he was wrong, which I have to respect.

I think you're probably right. A friend of mine worked for them at their restaurant in Vernon.
She said that Steve's dad was very difficult and not a particularly pleasant man. She felt the he pushed Steve into the run.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It might the best thing for Fonyo. He has an addiction problem that is in dire need of being addressed. Maybe this will make him hit the bottom necessary to own up to his problems. He has been rescued over and over again because of who he is...but maybe that has contributed more to his troubles.

There is a saying a lady I used to know who attended Alanon would say (Alanon is a program for family or friends of Alcoholics): "You can care for the alcoholic, but you cannot carry him/her."

So as far as I am concerned, the rules are clearly laid out and are reasonable, thus revoke the Order of Canada from Stephen Fonyo and hope it will force him to be accountable for his lifestyle choices.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Am certainly curious about "why now?" when his brushes with the law have been going on so long. Was there something that happened recently that changed their thinking - or a new person on the decision-making board?

In a way I think it is very mean-spirited to take it away from him. It diminishes his accomplishments and has a way of saying - "what you did was nothing and has no significance to Canada", which is certainly NOT the case.

I think they should give it back.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What a loser. Sounds like somebody couldn't handle the fact that his 10 minutes of fame is over.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Fritzthecat wrote:You're a loser. You probably couldn't run to the end of the block.

On two legs.

Hey, that hurts. Also, that's clearly not me in the picture since I don't smoke.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

MAybe before stripping him from the Order of Canada, have him into rehab of some sort to give him a final chance. Or did he had that already? Lets face it , the run he made was good and raised a lot of money.
logicalview
Guru

Re: Revocation of Order of Canada Membership of Stephen Fony

Post by logicalview »

Fritzthecat wrote:I feel sorry for Fonyo.

Maybe you should feel sorry for his wife too.

Steve Fonyo appeared briefly in B.C. Provincial Court in Surrey Tuesday morning to face a charge for allegedly assaulting his wife.

They were bickering neighbours when they first met because he was ignorant, said Greenwood, 49.

“I hated his guts.”

“He’s not the ugliest man I’ve ever gone out with,” Greenwood said with a laugh. Fonyo said he would take that as a compliment.

After the wedding, Fonyo asked Fitzsimmons how he could ever thank and repay her.

“You stay out of jail, be a good boy. That’ll be all the thanks I could ever ask for,” she told him.
Not afraid to say "It".

Return to “Canada”