"Tax-free" savings account costs investors

Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: "Tax-free" savings account costs investors

Post by Queen K »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#186462

Dead money or safe from being scammed by a white collar psychopath who is draining a company?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Queen K wrote:http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story-186462-6-.htm#186462

Dead money or safe from being scammed by a white collar psychopath who is draining a company?

1% safety accounts as a long term savings plan/ retirement tool, which the TFSA is meant to be, is a bad return, I would agree that is a bad route to keep your money for a savings plan.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Of course, financial planners don't make big MERs off cash accounts, so naturally their "minds are boggled" when they see people using them as savings account vehicles.

Having to drive a 2014 BMW around is just so yesterday for them!

Of course TFSAs should be used for wealth-generating activities to fund one's retirement. Anyone holding cash is losing to inflation.

However, different people have different risk tolerances, and with volatile markets, some prefer to park in safety for a while until they are comfortable investing it. That's okay, as long as they understand the downside.

It's the financial planner's job to explain this clearly to those who set up the TFSA in the first place. Those interviewed in the article should be looking at themselves and their peers for adhesion to professional diligence, and stop blaming their clients.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So does no one take into account the tax savings of the TFSA?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Bsuds wrote:So does no one take into account the tax savings of the TFSA?

A balanced approach to all accounts like TFSA, and RRSP is best, and to a part RESP. But to put everything as just a cash at low % will not earn any real advancement in a lifetime. Age, time, risk aversion etc etc should all be looked at and then a proper investment plan worked out.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

A TFSA only provides a tax savings IF you are generating a return. Pure cash in there with no return generates no tax savings.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

hobbyguy wrote:A TFSA only provides a tax savings IF you are generating a return. Pure cash in there with no return generates no tax savings.

In fact, you're paying MORE tax this way because you're probably taking money that you'd be otherwise putting in an RRSP (which is tax sheltered), paying tax on it, and then putting it in your TFSA.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”