Some politicians under foreign influence: CSIS

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Some politicians under foreign influence: CSIS

Post by steven lloyd »

China swaying [Canadian] politicians with gifts, sex: MP
Fri Jul 30, 7:16 PM

CALGARY (CBC) - A Calgary Conservative MP is accusing Chinese authorities of attempting to buy the influence of Canadian politicians and government officials with financial incentives and prostitutes, suggesting some officials may have been compromised.

"I know politicians who have done things that I think are antithetical to their character and I know those politicians to have been offered things whether they were lucrative business deals or sexual favours while they were over on foreign trips," Rob Anders told CBC's Power & Politics.

"Now can I give you the smoking gun to say that I definitely know there's a link between the two? Probably not. But can I tell you that I think these things go on and I think it's fairly obvious, yes."
Anders said MPs have told him how they had women follow them back to their rooms in Shanghai and offer them massages.

"I've had members of Parliament tell me about business deals they were offered that frankly were above market rates and that they should have known better, that were, you know, veiled attempts to create or curry favour and influence."

Anders said he wouldn't divulge names and that he didn't want to "engage in a witch hunt" against his colleagues.

Anders said he himself had been offered sexual favours while in China but that he turned them down. He said he didn't address his concerns with the Prime Minister's Office, but that officials have been briefed by the department of Foreign Affairs about the issue.

In an exclusive interview with CBC News on June 22, Canadian Security Intelligence Service director Richard Fadden said foreign governments hold influence over at least two cabinet ministers in two provinces, and are also involved with municipal politicians in B.C. and with federal public servants.

Fadden did not provide any names, but implied that China was one of those foreign governments.
But Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis, who has travelled to China numerous times, called the allegations "ludicrous."

"If Mr. Anders has any evidence, then he should take it and bring it forward to the ethics commissioner and do it now and stop paintbrushing the rest of the parliamentarians with the brush that certainly is not becoming of Canadian parliamentarians."

"To make statements like that, the man has really reached the bottom of the barrel," he said.
Public Safety Minister Vic Toews said he wasn't aware of the specific allegations made by Anders. But he said if those propositions are being made, Anders should bring the details forward to police and security agencies.

Toews added that it's not surprising that there are allegations that governments attempt to influence politicians.

"That has been a constant theme in newspaper articles for the last half century and probably before that. That's nothing new. It's how politicians respond to pressure or influence."

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/100730/c ... ina_offers
RJ2
Fledgling

Post by RJ2 »

Potash up for grabs on world stage, China involved, don't for one moment think someone somewhere in power has not been comprimised, the Chinese and Russians and others have used this type of espionge since the beginning of time, nothing new here. Catch the coverts and lockum up for time immoral, 1 year by Canadian standards cause we can rehabilitate them into good citizens again. China shoots you immediately if caught spying and/or on the take!!!
RJ2
Fledgling

Post by RJ2 »

North American Union develop NTH American security system strategy http://theintelhub.com/2010/12/28/north ... %E2%80%8F/
RJ2
Fledgling

Post by RJ2 »

I applaud CSIS on attacking foreign influence on our Canadian interests, this is a good read and I believe these people are living up to their oaths to protect and defend our unalienable rights to be free citizens of Canada. Polices by principles!!!!!!!!!!!http://news.aol.ca/2011/01/07/foreign-influence-ongoing-threat-csis/19791453
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2011/01/ ... uence.html
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

RJ2 wrote:North American Union develop NTH American security system strategy http://theintelhub.com/2010/12/28/north ... %E2%80%8F/

Isn't North American Union a myth, like aliens or fat-free twinkies?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Isn't North American Union a myth, like aliens or fat-free twinkies?

For now :wink:

p.s. I thought twinkies were fat free :137:

Return to “Canada”