Parliament sitting less, doing less, expert says

kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Parliament sitting less, doing less, expert says

Post by kompili »

Urbane wrote:
    kompili wrote:Sure, go ahead, vote for one of the two they give you, but don't come around here complaining after, you made your bed, be ready to lie in it.
Actually you have it backwards. Those like myself who vote are the ones who have the right to complain.

That is what you and they would like you to believe. You can believe me that I would be the first in line to vote on the process of throwing out the ones that are going to be voted in after a very short time when you find out it is the same old thing as usual of the people getting screwed. I don't look at myself as being a complainer, I endeavor to post creative ideas, insights and solutions.

George Carlin Quote

"I have solved this political dilemma in a very direct way: I don't vote. On Election Day, I stay home. I firmly believe that if you vote, you have no right to complain. Now, some people like to twist that around. They say, 'If you don't vote, you have no right to complain,' but where's the logic in that? If you vote, and you elect dishonest, incompetent politicians, and they get into office and screw everything up, you are responsible for what they have done. You voted them in. You caused the problem. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote -- who did not even leave the house on Election Day -- am in no way responsible for that these politicians have done and have every right to complain about the mess that you created."
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Kompili, here's a thought for you: Don't take everything a comedian says literally. Here's another of his sayings:
I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

Urbane wrote:Kompili, here's a thought for you: Don't take everything a comedian says literally. Here's another of his sayings:
I think people should be allowed to do anything they want. We haven't tried that for a while. Maybe this time it'll work.

I didn't need him to tell me that voting is a crock.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

kompili wrote: I didn't need him to tell me that voting is a crock.

The only bigger crock than voting, is being too lazy and complacent to vote and spending all your limited energy coming up with your pathetic, “outside the real world” excuses not to vote. "I need time to research youtube and CT blog sites".

“Ya, they’re all controlled by colluding corporations and power groups and I can make much more of a difference posting on my various blogs. That’s why I’m on welfare. It allows me the time for the important stuff” Damn governments (that support me)
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

steven lloyd wrote:
kompili wrote: I didn't need him to tell me that voting is a crock.

The only bigger crock than voting, is being too lazy and complacent to vote and spending all your limited energy coming up with your pathetic, “outside the real world” excuses not to vote. "I need time to research youtube and CT blog sites".

“Ya, they’re all controlled by colluding corporations and power groups and I can make much more of a difference posting on my various blogs. That’s why I’m on welfare. It allows me the time for the important stuff” Damn governments (that support me)

I am sorry to hear you are on welfare. I hope things get better for you when the new government is elected.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

kompili wrote: I am sorry to hear you are on welfare.

It's good to see you've figured out logical sequence.
Next lesson, use, implications and indications of using of quotes ( " " )

Stick around kompili. We’ll get you back up to grade twelve English reading and writing skills in no time.
And then who knows? Maybe you’ll even start to be able to recognize the tripe you’re reading for what it is and maybe even decide to step outside in the real world and speak face to face with real people. Wow ! I know. One step at a time.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The irony I see here is that we have people complaining about members of Parliament not working hard enough and yet some of those same people can't be bothered to vote.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

steven lloyd wrote:

Stick around kompili. We’ll get you back up to grade twelve English reading and writing skills in no time.
And then who knows? Maybe you’ll even start to be able to recognize the tripe you’re reading for what it is and maybe even decide to step outside in the real world and speak face to face with real people. Wow ! I know. One step at a time.

I never know if you are talking to me or your alter-ego. (symptoms of someone not all there)
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

kompili wrote:I never know if you are talking to me or your alter-ego. (symptoms of someone not all there)

I really hope you're not Steven Lloyd's alter ego.

That would catastrophic for all of us.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

kompili wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

I never know if you are talking to me or your alter-ego. (symptoms of someone not all there)

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Bejvas wrote:
kompili wrote: I never know if you are talking to me or your alter-ego. (symptoms of someone not all there)

:coffeecanuck: right on cue
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

steven lloyd wrote:
Bejvas wrote:
kompili wrote: I never know if you are talking to me or your alter-ego. (symptoms of someone not all there)

:coffeecanuck: right on cue

exactly, CA came right on! :dyinglaughing:
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

steven lloyd wrote:
kompili wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: If you care you will inform yourself of the issues, the position of your local candidate, and get up off your couch and go vote.

I know the issues and I know of the positions of my local candidates, and none of them are right for the job. Why would I want to be played as a fool and vote for someone that cannot do the job just to say that I voted.

You know the issues and you know of the positions of your local candidates, and none of them are right for the job, and that is the excuse you use to exonerate yourself of your social responsibility to vote. I’ve certainly heard better excuses for being too lazy to leave the house and go vote. You are not being played a fool - you are accepting that role, and if you’re too lazy to be a participating player in the process your criticisms of the process and its results bear no merit. I can imagine you would like to think yourself some kind of agent of change, but you are not changing the world from behind the confines of your keyboard (maybe if you gave up the whackadoodle stuff). To be that agent you have to be participating in the real world.

a statement like that scares me. we have the liberty to vote...or not vote. how is it that people who continue to vote for the status quo feel they can be exonerated due to the fact that they did vote? educate yourself to as many issues as you want. but the issues will never be able to be resolved or changed by the current system we have. especially by most of the people who people vote in. how can people who did vote be so smug in their failure to make changes? after all your vote is a social responsibility isnt it? rather than beheading the leader of a party i think that we should be more angry with ourselves for using the current system irresponsibly by taking what we can get. and we should chastise ourselves and take responsibility for the vote we made. why are people ashamed of who and what they vote like its a secret? because they fear the responsibilty that comes with that decision and would rather be annonymous. at least non voters are fairly flamboyant in their decision. and i think rightly so....as a form of protest. problem is there will always be lemmings that vote and keep the problems we have ongoing. the symbolism of our rights in this country has to be about more than our votes and the political system. it has to be about fighting to make change rather than listening to promises and doing what is deemed "responsible" by casting a vote and then sitting on the couch after and not taking responsibility for what the action of that vote created. if by your vote you are ok with parliament doing less for more....by all means keep voting. for any of the parties out there. because none of the parties will do anything about that. and your vote certianly wont change that either.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

sooperphreek wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: ..., and that is the excuse you use to exonerate yourself of your social responsibility to vote.

a statement like that scares me. we have the liberty to vote...or not vote. how is it that people who continue to vote for the status quo feel they can be exonerated due to the fact that they did vote? educate yourself to as many issues as you want. but the issues will never be able to be resolved or changed by the current system we have. especially by most of the people who people vote in. how can people who did vote be so smug in their failure to make changes? after all your vote is a social responsibility isnt it? rather than beheading the leader of a party i think that we should be more angry with ourselves for using the current system irresponsibly by taking what we can get. and we should chastise ourselves and take responsibility for the vote we made. why are people ashamed of who and what they vote like its a secret? because they fear the responsibilty that comes with that decision and would rather be annonymous. at least non voters are fairly flamboyant in their decision. and i think rightly so....as a form of protest. problem is there will always be lemmings that vote and keep the problems we have ongoing. the symbolism of our rights in this country has to be about more than our votes and the political system. it has to be about fighting to make change rather than listening to promises and doing what is deemed "responsible" by casting a vote and then sitting on the couch after and not taking responsibility for what the action of that vote created. if by your vote you are ok with parliament doing less for more....by all means keep voting. for any of the parties out there. because none of the parties will do anything about that. and your vote certianly wont change that either.

I should take that statement back. You’re right. Because of people who were willing to die for it, we have the liberty to vote. I suppose it is only a responsibility if a person accepts that responsibilty and from considering a number of good arguments on these boards I have come to believe it is simply better that people who do not accept this responsibilty just opt out. Their vote would mean just as much as their political opinion – nothing. Ironically, that is just about as much as non-voting as a form of protest means – nothing. My vote might not mean much, but it certainly means more than complete inaction – or simply bitching on forums and blogs which amounts to pretty much the same thing. Being a lemming might not be much to write home about but it sure beats telling mom you’re a sloth.
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Post by kompili »

steven lloyd wrote:I should take that statement back. You’re right. Because of people who were willing to die for it, we have the liberty to vote. I suppose it is only a responsibility if a person accepts that responsibilty and from considering a number of good arguments on these boards I have come to believe it is simply better that people who do not accept this responsibilty just opt out. Their vote would mean just as much as their political opinion – nothing. Ironically, that is just about as much as non-voting as a form of protest means – nothing. My vote might not mean much, but it certainly means more than complete inaction – or simply bitching on forums and blogs which amounts to pretty much the same thing. Being a lemming might not be much to write home about but it sure beats telling mom you’re a sloth.

:coffeecanuck: I thought they died so people could have freedoms like voting or not voting, if that is what they wished, without having bullies telling them that they had to vote.

Return to “Canada”