Ambulances getting speeding tickets

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Ambulances getting speeding tickets

Post by Amarow121 »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/2010/12/24/edmonton-ambulance-ahs-speed-limits-memo.html

As a paramedic who both sits in the passenger seat and also drives, I am baffled by this announcement.
However, being that I am a paramedic, perhaps I am biased.

What are your (the public) experiences with ambulances driving with lights and sirens? Are the drivers of ambulances irresponsible? Are potential (but avoided) collisions due to our driving or due to the inattentiveness of other drivers sharing the road? Are ambulances different from Fire or Police in how they drive when responding to emergencies?
What have you folks noticed as drivers, pedestrians, cyclists, skateboarders, rollerskaters, dog walkers and hitchhikers?
kompili
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Ambulances getting speeding tickets

Post by kompili »

I have been driving for many years and I have not once had to complain about any ambulance. First off no one knows where they are going, and for what reason, most time I am guessing it is for a life and death situation. What I can see is that they do a heck of a job to get through all that traffic without hitting something. I think giving them speeding tickets is ridiculous under the circumstances.
Last edited by kompili on Dec 29th, 2010, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We Have Been Conditioned To See Only What They Want Us To See.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Dumb dumb dumb. How is that gonna work, cop gonna write a ticket while the EMS is responding ? Or after?
Who thinks up this crap?
If I'm waiting for an ambulance I expect it to get there quick not dilly dally. The golden hour should prevail over all other considerations. Within reason of course.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Perhaps we should have police writing speeding tickets to other police officers going to a scene of an accident.my life may very well be saved by the ambulance driver arriving as soon as possible any police officer hindering that ambulance should be charged with obstruction. And if the person dies because of it that officer should be charged with manslaughter.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Good grief. Didn't anyone actually read the article?

in some instances and when it's safe — to break the speed limit.

"There are times, in extenuating circumstances, were we need to get somewhere as quickly as possible. In those circumstances, absolutely speed may be elevated," Rougeau said.

She added that time is crucial in only a fraction of EMS calls.

Edmonton paramedics are also getting ticketed for going through red lights and speeding. The union said that started happening after AHS took over ambulance services last year.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

I thought it was only cheesy, second rate lawyers that chased ambulances. Now the cops are doing it too?
Too much time on their hands, or are they cheesy, second rate cops?
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

We are the only place in the world where people do this right now. It's going to take us, in some cases, half an hour to respond to a choking baby or something like that."
The man requested anonymity because Alberta Health Services forbids paramedics from speaking with the news media.
The ambulance service already experiences times when vehicles are in such short supply, only one or two units are available for a new call, so it's not uncommon to drive from the station downtown to the outskirts for an urgent call, he said.
If someone has a heart attack, "every minute takes 10 per cent from the chance of survival. In those cases, every second matters. You can imagine if we have to drive across the city driving 50."
"This is just ridiculous," added Scott Pattison, spokesman for the Health Sciences Association, the union representing paramedics.
"We're talking about people who are paid to get out there to the scene of an accident and transfer people who are extremely ill."
In the memo, AHS regional director Dale Weiss wrote, "there is no literature that proves that the potential savings of seconds in a response is beneficial over the increased risk of driving at high speeds.
"All Edmonton Metro EMS staff are to respond within the posted speed limits, even when responding with lights and siren," he wrote.
He also warned paramedics to stop at every red light before going through intersections.
"Please drive safely," he wrote, "the death or injury that may result in not doing so is too high a price."
Weiss declined to comment Thursday night.
"It doesn't make any sense, the memo that went out," said another paramedic who also requested anonymity. "Having the lights and sirens (on while driving) at the speed limit is not normal practice."
Spokeswoman Sheila Rougeau said AHS doesn't have a policy on whether paramedics should speed on urgent calls. Instead, paramedics are governed by a patchwork of guidelines across the province left from when ambulance service was controlled by municipalities.
Consolidation happened April 1, 2009. Whether paramedics should speed is a hotly debated topic, she said. AHS is working to develop a common policy.
"People might think it's sexy driving at high speed in crazy traffic, but there is a risk to high speed. This is about safety," she said.
"Edmonton is a large city and it is a congested city. Speed can be a factor in a collision and we want to mitigate the risks as much as possible."
Since the city lost control of the ambulance service, Edmonton police have been giving tickets to paramedics who go through red lights or speed past photo radar.
It was a policy change, Rougeau said. "Under the new EPS policy, nobody is exempt from photo radar or red light tickets. This applies to fire, EMS and police." EMS reviews each ticket to determine if the speed was reasonable under the circumstances and if they should be waived, Rougeau said.
The number and cost of tickets paid each year was not available Thursday evening.
But tickets have nothing to do with the disputed memo, Rougeau said.
"This is about safety."

http://www2.canada.com/story.html?id=4021573
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Oh! Thanks Fancy!

Here in BC the policy for ambulances is that they may speed, but only up to 25km/hr over the speed limit. (75km in a 50km zone or 125km in a 100km zone) And obviously that's up to the discretion of the driver.

As for when we are allowed to drive with our lights and sirens, it's only when our dispatcher is sending us on a call, and only when that call is considered to be "critical". (I'm not allowed to skip the traffic line because I need to go pee.) :spinball:

When I was learning how to drive an ambulance with lights and sirens I was taught that the purpose behind driving with lights and sirens was so that we would not have to wait at stop lights or with heavy traffic. This is true. The lights and sirens don't do much of anything on the highway, everyone is already traveling at a good speed. But in the city they make a huge difference.
Even stopping at every red light (which is mandatory under BC law too) it still cuts down on the overall trip.

**Edited to take out a redundant point.

Since Police Fire and Ambulance are all being targeted, is Alberta going to put some sort of addition in it's Motor Vehicle act to allow emergency services to exceed the speed limit and go through red lights?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As a Homesupport Worker, when I call 911, I want you guys to SPEED. Now. But not at risk to your own safety. I mean Duuhhh. Had no idea there were limits and I'll bet most would be shocked to learn it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

The people behind this are such hypocritical hacks. You just know if it was them waiting, or watching their loved one choking, having a heart attack they would he calling to see what's taking the ambulance so long.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

In a small way defeats the purpose of siren and flashing lights, but as some of us who have watched here in Kelowna.
Large amount of people are not sure what they should be doing as a Ambulance comes with siren on and lights flashing.
Last edited by RR24K on Jan 10th, 2011, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robhynes
Fledgling

Post by robhynes »

Wait til some Edmonton government official needs to get to the hospital - the ambulance driver should drag his *bleep* around at 30 kph just to prove a point.

Not long moved out of Edmonton to be honest, and cops are the some of the worst offenders for speeding and distracted driving.
God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Many of you may not realize that the law applies to all emergency vehicles. Just because you have red, or red and blue on with siren you do not have the right of way!!

I was nearly killed by a volenteer firman responding to a grass fire call. The other member had intentions of chasing one other vehicle. I recognized the members vehicle and told the operator to stay put. Just then a second fireman cam screaming through the four way stop and he did not see us.

The has to be more to the story, all emergency personel know the inmportance of rsponding rapidly. The old saying still rings true - "Drive to Arrive." A wrecked ambulance, fire truck or police vehicle is of no value is responding!!

You know why police have blue and red lights on their roofs?????

So fieman can have heros too!!
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

This is ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, emergency vehicles have complete right-of-way and ownership of the entire road. You are on their road. Get out of the way. If you don't see or hear an emergency vehicle coming through an intersection, you are a complete idiot, a hazard to everyone else on the road. You should have your licence revoked immediately and have to prove why you deserve to get it back.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

[quote="old-bushman"]This is ridiculous. As far as I'm concerned, emergency vehicles have complete right-of-way and ownership of the entire road. You are on their road. Get out of the way. If you don't see or hear an emergency vehicle coming through an intersection, you are a complete idiot, a hazard to everyone else on the road. You should have your licence revoked immediately and have to prove why you deserve to get it back.[/quote]

You would be amazed at what you see when trying to make time in an emergency vehicle!!! They sometimes will even chase you to see whatz up! LOL.

On the other hand, I've seen other operators pull to the right of vehicles when lights and siren on. Where are you supposed to move if clear, to the right!!

Safest thing to do if you can’t squeeze right is stop! Then the operator can go right left or curb it if absolutely necessary.

Return to “Canada”