CHBC news tonight - Customs

Ironhorse1
Fledgling

CHBC news tonight - Customs

Post by Ironhorse1 »

Wow, CHBC must have really had a slow news day today airing an article about a man complaining that he had his bags searched by Customs. Umm... last time I checked, that was their job and they have the authority to do so. I have been searched lots by both the US and Canada guys and have no problems. They have always been professional, assertive, but professional. Hell, if I was a Customs officer, i'd be sending him in too.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: CHBC news tonight - Customs

Post by Bsuds »

I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Thanks for the link.

My impression from watching the video is that he understands they have a job to do and he is not complaining about being searched. What I got was that he was upset by their methods and the fact his belongings (and dirty undies) were scattered around in a very public place for anyone to see. He was also upset with their attitude ("Gestapo-like") while doing it.

That all might upset me, too.

A separate room or a table off to the side for some semblance of privacy might be better when they want to do an in-depth search. There is no need to embarrass people who are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Gestapo police tactic?!

What a goof.

Slow day in the news for sure.

Everything he's described is absolutely normal.

May be he was embarrassed they found some rubber toys in his suitcase!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
TDogg80
Fledgling

Post by TDogg80 »

Captain Awesome wrote:Gestapo police tactic?!

What a goof.

Slow day in the news for sure.

Everything he's described is absolutely normal.

May be he was embarrassed they found some rubber toys in his suitcase!

Captain, I'm guessing you're about 5 years old. Top notch comment there my friend! Goof!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I see Castanet has now picked up the story ...

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#59179
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

On a second thought, "goof" is the wrong word.

I think "drama queen" is more appropriate.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

from what I've read from the article, the real drama queens were the customs agents.throwing the contents of someone's suitcase open in an area where the general public is , when they believe the person is smuggling something is truly stupid.

just like in a bad movie where the Nazis say...........we have ways, to make you talk :eyeballspin:

If they felt, the man could have been a security risk or was smuggling something taking him into a private room and containing the suspect and the contents of his luggage would make sense. But then again you wouldn't be putting on a big show for the public to see.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Well I've never been in a plane and it looks like it's not happening anytime soon. I'm not willing to submit myself to being treated like a criminal for a vacation. Is a table with a screen and some dignity really too much to ask for?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I agree with the idea of having a screened off portion of the room to search someones luggage. Because in my view, if I haven't broken any laws why should I be subjected to the humiliation of having my dirty underwear scattered around in public for all to see? It's embarassing enough to have the customs officer viewing and handling such items, without having others witness my humiliation.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

Customs agents are always grilling about undeclared items. They should be focusing more on drugs. Then again, there is more money in extra HST collection than a drug bust.
goalie
Übergod

Post by goalie »

grumpydigger wrote:from what I've read from the article, the real drama queens were the customs agents.throwing the contents of someone's suitcase open in an area where the general public is , when they believe the person is smuggling something is truly stupid.

I think they just wanted the extra 12% figured he must have few tequila bottles or something. I had the same thing happen to me, they wouldn't believe I went away for two weeks and did not bring anything back. If i wasn't so tired i would have declared 10 kilos of coke just for the heck of it
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Has this guy never heard about good personal hygeine? Use of sufficient toilet paper, and showering at least once a day would eliminate the problem. Customs people could search my baggage all day long, wherever they wanted to, and I couldn't care less.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
summerphlox

Post by summerphlox »

From what I read, the customs official could have handled this situation much better too. If his belongings were subject to a search it should have been done in private. Yelling out loud is not necessary either. In the end they didn't even find anything and didn't even offer an apology; he was treated like dirt and felt completely powerless to say or do anything. From my experience that traveler is right, you get treated better in Mexico's customs than in your own country.

I bet if he spoke up while getting his bags searched he would have been put into an interrogation room and thrown in jail. When situations like this arise, there should be a third party involved to observe/witness to see if protocol is being followed and to advocate for the traveler when or if a customs official's temper unnecessarily flares up.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Did customs officials follow the rules in this case? If so the rules need to be changed and if they didn't follow the rules they need to be reminded what the rules are. A couple of years ago I had my carry-on taken away from me in Vancouver while I was waiting for my keys and wallet to arrive on the conveyor belt. When I complained I was told my bag was just going off for an inspection. I complained via email to the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority and had a subsequent phone call from a supervisor in Montreal. I was told I was quite right, that my carry-on should not have been removed from my sight, and I was thanked for bringing it to their attention. Further, I was told that reminders would be given to those on duty when I went through. So the rules aren't always followed. Also, security doesn't mean rude and boorish behaviour and the fellow in the CHBC story was certainly the victim of that.

Return to “Canada”