Police vs the media

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Police vs the media

Post by Ken7 »

Benjamin (Monty )Robinson , Russ Mirasty , and Geoff Mantler who were each subject to a report in the CBC news paper and also Castanet have one thing in common they are active RCMP members.

Above are the names of three RCMP members which have all come to light in the recent year. As the media reports upon each story I’d find it interesting what you know by the names I’ve provided.

Why such an exercise you ask. I won’t refer to the individual stories, just Google them.

Each has done something which was notable, yes some good and some not so. The point I make is if a Police Officer does well, the story is very brief. If the member fails to uphold the image the story is very grand, including photos, years of service and a history of their career to date and continued stories for weeks.

Yes, the story I reference is Officer Russ Mirasty. How many know who Russ, where did he come from and where is he now? How many years has he proudly served and where did he serve?

The final question I pose is why do the media go hunting for stories of failure? Very rarely do we read of stories of success anymore? If we do it is a short story, and no effort put forth by the reporter without photo as in Mirasty’s achievements.

Is it me seeing it wrong? Is our world failing before us to the point of everyone is so jealous of others achievements, their success or are we all becoming hungry to see others fail?

What is your take on this one??
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: POLICE VS THE MEDIA

Post by cutter7 »

The job of the police is to uphold the law not take it into their own hands or break it themselves.

I googled russ"s name what did he do besides get a promotion?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Police vs the media

Post by Fancy »

Mirasty, a member of the Lac La Ronge First Nation in northern Saskatchewan, has taken over as the commanding officer of F Division — becoming the first aboriginal person to lead an RCMP division in the force's history.
Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/saskatchewan/s ... z1Ae1MhF00

Certainly an achievement. The media always goes for the sensationalism - nature of the beast.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

Hardly newsworthy though. Not sure how many people would be interested in hearing when somebody gets a job promotion.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

the RCMP, are somewhat desperate for anything that resembles good news. they take what they can get
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

The fact remains, the media sometimes can't settle for an individual causing a crime against another person. They seem to need more. The crime committed from the person gets over overshadowed by the police doing something, which for some, may seem a little excessive or not right (is: punching, kicking, choke holding, whatever upon apprehension). What about the person who commits the crime? Should we focus on that first?

Police are a necessity, and most of the time, their welcome and get respect. Sure they have their dark moments, but society as a whole has darker ones.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

[quote="cooldude"]The fact remains, the media sometimes can't settle for an individual causing a crime against another person. They seem to need more. The crime committed from the person gets over overshadowed by the police doing something, which for some, may seem a little excessive or not right (is: punching, kicking, choke holding, whatever upon apprehension). What about the person who commits the crime? Should we focus on that first?

Police are a necessity, and most of the time, their welcome and get respect. Sure they have their dark moments, but society as a whole has darker ones.[/quote]

I'm with you we definitely need a watch-dog so to speak and no-one, police officer or not will agree more.

My observation and the point I wish to make is that when something good happens involving the Police, the Media fails to cover the story with any real effort. Now if someone does wrong, like blood hungry wolves they are there!! That's my point, chances are you would not recall Russ Mirasty's name.

The story they covered was actually very brief considering the facts that Mirasty will become a part of history with his achievements. I had a interest as he comes from Northern Saskatchewan, the small LaRonge paper had more coverage than Regina Leader Post ( RCMP training ) or CBC which they pride themselves on getting the story.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

don't blame the media - if the police didn't give the media something to run with it would be a non-issue.

taking any incident covered by the media, whether it involves police or civilians, it is not the job of the media to report stories in a certain light. If the police (or a civilian) do something that the media deem newsworthy, it will be reported. i have not noticed the media digging up any good samaritan stories for ANY induvidual accused or implicated in a crime.

i hear about cops for kids and other such "good" acts on behalf of police. i also frequently hear of grow ops being busted (even when the real world knows the grow op's that were busted are mostly small potatoes). The good stories get posted too.

the bad stories are the ones that stick in everyone's mind though - its one of these hotheaded, power hungry, itchy trigger, above the law police that NONE of the general public want representing their safety or police organization. maybe the police need to re-think their screening ( I have heard a while back that the rcmp were having trouble finding recruits - perhaps the standards for acceptance have dropped?)

i applaud the media for shining a light on the police ( if they don't NO ONE ELSE WILL) - maybe this will be the catalyst for the changes OBVIOUSLY needed to "earn" the respect of the general public again.
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

cooldude wrote:The fact remains, the media sometimes can't settle for an individual causing a crime against another person. They seem to need more. The crime committed from the person gets over overshadowed by the police doing something, which for some, may seem a little excessive or not right (is: punching, kicking, choke holding, whatever upon apprehension). What about the person who commits the crime? Should we focus on that first?

Police are a necessity, and most of the time, their welcome and get respect. Sure they have their dark moments, but society as a whole has darker ones.

It has less to do with the media's choices and more to do giving the public majority what they want. It seems as if people prefer to be more riled up and outraged than they do appreciative and thankful.

Return to “Canada”