Que. chief prosecutors quit over back-to-work law

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

CBC News
Posted: Feb 21, 2011 12:21 PM ET

At least 10 chief and assistant chief crown prosecutors have resigned to protest Quebec's special back-to-work legislation, tabled Monday.

The imposed settlement, which would end a crippling two-week judicial strike, offers provincial government lawyers an average six per cent raise over five years.

The increase falls short of the 22 per cent pay increase held out earlier by Quebec Treasury Board President Michelle Courchesne.

'We consider this work is important, and they need this support. That is why we have responded.' —Quebec Treasury Board President Michelle Courchesne

The Liberal government tried to calm tempers over its settlement, by announcing it will go on a hiring spree to ease existing workloads.

Courchesne said the government would hire 80 more Crown prosecutors, 40 support staff and 25 ministerial lawyers in an effort to improve lawyers' working conditions.

"We consider that this work is important and they need this support. That is why we have responded," she said.

Individual lawyers who defy the back-to-work legislation face daily fines from $100 to $500.

Quebec's national assembly is debating the legislation Monday afternoon.

Prosecutors fed up with pay discrepancy

The chief and assistant chief prosecutors who tendered their letters of resignation Monday asked to be reintegrated as regular lawyers.

They say the Liberal government's offer is paltry, given that Quebec prosecutors are paid about 40 per cent less than their counterparts across Canada.

In what was billed as a Canadian first, some 1,500 lawyers and prosecutors walked off the job about two weeks ago to protest their salaries and working conditions.

The job action virtually paralyzed Quebec's legal system and led to some unexpected acquittals because of lack of staffing.
Negotiations between the government and the Association of Crown Prosecutors of Quebec broke down on Friday.

Quebec Premier Jean Charest expressed his frustration that the government couldn't reach a negotiated deal with the Association of Crown Prosecutors of Quebec as it has with its other public sector workers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... ebate.html
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Re: Que. chief prosecutors quit over back-to-work law

Post by flamingfingers »

Aw, come on!! Why does the Premier not simply legislate them back to work and rip up their contracts! Campbell did it, why not Quebec?
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

flamingfingers wrote:Aw, come on!! Why does the Premier not simply legislate them back to work and rip up their contracts! Campbell did it, why not Quebec?

The difference of course is that it appears the folk in Quebec are prepared to give up their jobs when push comes to shove, while their equivalent in BC don't have the bells to do that.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:Aw, come on!! Why does the Premier not simply legislate them back to work and rip up their contracts! Campbell did it, why not Quebec?

The difference of course is that it appears the folk in Quebec are prepared to give up their jobs when push comes to shove, while their equivalent in BC don't have the bells to do that. Nab

Of course, giving up your public service job is not such a daunting prospect when you know you can easily find comparative work in the private sector with even greater remuneration. Contrary to the opinion of some, it is not money or perks that inspires people to work in public service but rather purpose. Still, people can only be pushed so far before saying “screw it” and deciding instead to go for the money.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

steven lloyd wrote:
NAB wrote:

The difference of course is that it appears the folk in Quebec are prepared to give up their jobs when push comes to shove, while their equivalent in BC don't have the bells to do that. Nab

Of course, giving up your public service job is not such a daunting prospect when you know you can easily find comparative work in the private sector with even greater remuneration. Contrary to the opinion of some, it is not money or perks that inspires people to work in public service but rather purpose. Still, people can only be pushed so far before saying “screw it” and deciding instead to go for the money.

So when are you going to give up your cushy public sector union job and head out into the real world? Do you have the "bells" for it?

Ooops, no defined benefit pension plan in the private sector, and one has to perform satifactorily for his employer or face disciplinary measures - better stay where you are [insert shrinking "bells" emoticon here].
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

I won't be eligible for health benefits or pension until I've been working as a paramedic for 7 years.
It's been 8 months so far, I'm already considering going private.

So yeah, got the "bells" for it... I think?
(Not sure, can ladies have "bells"? Despite taking a lot of anatomy I'm unclear on this :dyinglaughing: )
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

RichardWede wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: ... , giving up your public service job is not such a daunting prospect when you know you can easily find comparative work in the private sector with even greater remuneration. Contrary to the opinion of some, it is not money or perks that inspires people to work in public service but rather purpose.

So when are you going to give up your cushy public sector union job and head out into the real world? Do you have the "bells" for it?

:coffeecanuck: Ah dickie, how did I miss this outstanding piece of commentary? Will you ever tire of embarrassing yourself? As stated many times, I’ve spent more than thirty years in your so-called “real world” (almost twice as long as you’ve been alive?). As far as elucidating you on how “cushy” things are in my present position, why bother? While only minimal capacity for reading comprehension would be required, obviously in your case that is still far too much to expect. And speaking of “bells’ – shouldn’t you be paying attention to ones that are telling you it is time to get to class?

RichardWede wrote: Ooops, no defined benefit pension plan in the private sector, and one has to perform satifactorily for his employer or face disciplinary measures - better stay where you are [insert shrinking "bells" emoticon here].

Oops, many private sector positions have defined benefit pension plans (I know because I had one while employed in the private sector), but those positions normally require at least high school graduation - if not post-secondary.
[insert “class dummy sitting in the corner” emoticon here].

Don't be a fool - stay in school.

Return to “Canada”