Radioactive water leak- Pickering power plant

WhatThe

Radioactive water leak- Pickering power plant

Post by WhatThe »

Just saw on the news that 73,000 litres of slightly radioactive de-mineralized cooling water has leaked from a nuclear facility in Pickering Ontario. I don't have a link as I just watched it but the next guy who tells me nuke power is safe and green is gonna get slapped.

Ok here's an article http://www.nationalpost.com/m/blog.html ... ;s=Opinion
nolanrh
Übergod

Re: Radioactive water leak- Pickering power plant

Post by nolanrh »

From the article:
“The radiological risk to the environment and people’s health is negligible,” Canada’s nuclear regulator said in a statement. “The CNSC, along with Environment Canada, continue to monitor the situation.”
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

When I read "radioactive" and "negligible" in the same sentence, I aways think the same thing, the guy calling it "negligible" should get a big glass of water from the leak and told to "take big gulp or a small sip. Don't worry, it's water from the Pickering Plant leak."
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 16th, 2011, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

The water that has leak-out never comes in contact to anything radioactive, it's cooling system for the cooling system. Other words it used to cool down the water used to cool down the rods.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I hear you, but I still think it would be appropiate, or fun. Prolly more fun.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Neglible- ok but radiological damage is cumulative. And it's an accident none the less and no matter how minor is it acceptable? I don't think so. We also had a small (around 4 magnitude) earthquake in Quebec today, eery.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

WhatThe wrote:Neglible- ok but radiological damage is cumulative. And it's an accident none the less and no matter how minor is it acceptable? I don't think so. We also had a small (around 4 magnitude) earthquake in Quebec today, eery.

Yes, I can accept accidents which have a negligible effect.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Its all negligible till someone gets an eye poked out.

Funny, a relative said (about the Japan disaster which "could" affect BC) "You could always move to here "Ontario", I have rooms for ya",,, And when we told them about the leak in lake Ontario the reply was "WHAT????" :dyinglaughing:
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

When I first came to Canada, we rented a house at Pickering Beach, glad I don't live there any more.

I realize that it is only prejudice, but I don't even like driving past the nukes by the highway, North of Portland and North of San Diego.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

I dont like driving by them either, They spook me.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Canada”