18%
Not sure
2%

Total votes: 44

mountainmama
Fledgling

Re: Should Quebec Leave?

Post by mountainmama »

IMO, Quebec should not be separated from the rest of the country. Quebec belongs to Canada. On the other hand, any Quebeccors that want to separate should surely be encouraged to do so. The Federal Government should supply all Quebeccors of such mind, with a one-way ticket to France. This country has been protected and supported by ALL taxpayers, of which , Quebec gets the hogs share. To let a bunch of second and third generation , questionable, French people try to tear apart the country that our forefathers fought and died for would be ludicrous. Get real ottowa, Quebec belongs to all Canadians :sleepdeprived: .!
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

While I enjoy Quebec, and especially Montreal, when I see these guys speak I just laugh.

They are a minority and though they work to make it sound like the majority they really are not. Voter turn out is as appalling in Quebec as it is everywhere else in Canada, so the real feeling you get from them is not what actually exists in that part of the country.

Every province has it's extremists, just Quebec is the loudest. Between Quebec-Bloc and the natives we basically have our two laughing stocks of greed. Ignore them and they will go away, or get their just desserts.

If you think the Bloc would force separation, you've never spent an amount of time in Quebec.
angel980

Post by angel980 »

Quebec needs to go! Remember those T-shirts with the beaver wrapped in a canadian flag booting a Quebec frog in the *bleep*. Those were funny.
Shrapnel
Fledgling

Post by Shrapnel »

I wonder how many people, that have posted on this thread, believe that if you don't like it, then leave it be.

I'm from B.C. I love B.C. for its scenery, not for its people.

B.C. should be the Province that separates. After all, this is where the most hate comes from. I've traveled a lot of Canada, this Province has got to be the most hateful Province I have ever been to.

In my opinion, we should rename it from a Province, to a State. British Columbia of America. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

I've been to Quebec a number of times. I do not know how to speak French. But If I show them just a tiny little bit of effort, they try 10x harder than I to communicate.

The Bloc, well, it sucks to put it plainly. That doesn't mean we should give up on our fellow Canadians.

If anything, we should vote to get rid of the Bloc, not Quebec.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Shrapnel wrote:I wonder how many people, that have posted on this thread, believe that if you don't like it, then leave it be.

I'm from B.C. I love B.C. for its scenery, not for its people.

B.C. should be the Province that separates. After all, this is where the most hate comes from. I've traveled a lot of Canada, this Province has got to be the most hateful Province I have ever been to.

In my opinion, we should rename it from a Province, to a State. British Columbia of America. That has a nice ring to it, doesn't it?

I've been to Quebec a number of times. I do not know how to speak French. But If I show them just a tiny little bit of effort, they try 10x harder than I to communicate.

The Bloc, well, it sucks to put it plainly. That doesn't mean we should give up on our fellow Canadians.

If anything, we should vote to get rid of the Bloc, not Quebec.

Wow Shrapnel, sounds like you need to travel in different circles and make some new friends in BC, but then again I've found in life we often see and receive what we EXPECT to see and receive....
angel980

Post by angel980 »

then you have been extremely fortunate in your visits to Quebec. Others have posted how Quebecers detest you if your in their province and speak english. You are lucky.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

coffeeFreak wrote:
Shrapnel wrote: B.C. should be the Province that separates. After all, this is where the most hate comes from. I've traveled a lot of Canada, this Province has got to be the most hateful Province I have ever been to.

Wow Shrapnel, sounds like you need to travel in different circles and make some new friends in BC, but then again I've found in life we often see and receive what we EXPECT to see and receive....

:129: Well, as of 9:07 am this morning, 59% percent of respondents here have voted for Quebec to leave while only 42% want our fellow Canadians to remain a part of our country – just saying.
Shrapnel
Fledgling

Post by Shrapnel »

I do apologize if I came off as saying every British Columbian is rude. I know that's not the case, and I didn't mean it that way.

It's just in my experience, Quebec is a great place. I've heard from a number of people who have never stepped foot out of B.C. want Quebec to separate, or that they hate Quebecers. For what? Because of something they heard?

@CoffeeFreak: I expect to receive what I give, and that's respect. I admit, rarely I can be a jerk, but it's because I let something drive me that way. We all do, we're human. There are nice people here, but from what I personally have seen, is far and few between. The farther East you go, the nicer people get.

@Angel980: You may be right. I'm not bilingual, I can say hello and a few other basic phrases in French, but that's about it. I had an easy time in Quebec. You hear any and every language in Montreal, sometimes you may not even hear French or English. Either way, it's easier to get along with people there than you may think. I was staying in Valleyfield, a town that's as French as French can be. I was still able to get along with people easily. It's just my experience, I don't know why it was so easy. Maybe it's because I don't impose on others, maybe it's because I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, I don't know.

Other people have been less fortunate in their experiences there. Do you know the whole story? The true story? Chances are when someone's getting the cold shoulder, it's because they did something to deserve it. Not always, but chances are. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have a lot of (insert explicit word) there too, what place doesn't?

Like I said in my previous post, vote to get rid of the Bloc, not a part of Canada itself. I'm proud to be Canadian, and that includes having Quebec as part of my.....OUR country.

@Steven LLoyd +1 :)

Take from my posts what you will. It's obvious I feel strongly about my opinions, and for a good reason.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

This picture sums up my feelings:

tumblr_l2xxerimWx1qavf9n.jpg

:sunshine:
Your bias suits you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:smt110 Viva le Quebecois !!!
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

If they want to leave let them and enforce a trade embargo. Confiscate all their social security, CPP and every other federal funded program including all equipment paid by Canadian taxpayers in regards to schools, hospitals, universities, etc.

If the want to separate they should pay the consequences of it.
chronicfisherman

Post by chronicfisherman »

Shrapnel wrote:I do apologize if I came off as saying every British Columbian is rude. I know that's not the case, and I didn't mean it that way.

It's just in my experience, Quebec is a great place. I've heard from a number of people who have never stepped foot out of B.C. want Quebec to separate, or that they hate Quebecers. For what? Because of something they heard?

@CoffeeFreak: I expect to receive what I give, and that's respect. I admit, rarely I can be a jerk, but it's because I let something drive me that way. We all do, we're human. There are nice people here, but from what I personally have seen, is far and few between. The farther East you go, the nicer people get.

@Angel980: You may be right. I'm not bilingual, I can say hello and a few other basic phrases in French, but that's about it. I had an easy time in Quebec. You hear any and every language in Montreal, sometimes you may not even hear French or English. Either way, it's easier to get along with people there than you may think. I was staying in Valleyfield, a town that's as French as French can be. I was still able to get along with people easily. It's just my experience, I don't know why it was so easy. Maybe it's because I don't impose on others, maybe it's because I don't walk around with a chip on my shoulder, I don't know.

Other people have been less fortunate in their experiences there. Do you know the whole story? The true story? Chances are when someone's getting the cold shoulder, it's because they did something to deserve it. Not always, but chances are. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they have a lot of (insert explicit word) there too, what place doesn't?

Like I said in my previous post, vote to get rid of the Bloc, not a part of Canada itself. I'm proud to be Canadian, and that includes having Quebec as part of my.....OUR country.

@Steven LLoyd +1 :)

Take from my posts what you will. It's obvious I feel strongly about my opinions, and for a good reason.

Well said Shrapnel, I actually lived in Salaberry-de-valleyfield for 3 years and I like you can only speak a few key sentences in french however during my time there I met some of the most amazing people in the world who would do everything within their power to communicate with me provided I atleast shows some signs of an attempt.

My now wife is from Montreal and has told me on a huge number of occasions that she is almost depressed by the general attitude of people out here in B.C, their complete lack of compassion and emotional depth. I personally cannot see what she see's but she feels very strongly about this which is most likely the reason we will be moving to a different province ( Most likely not Quebec but who knows at this point).

Keeping on topic however I think it would be *bleep* if anybody would even consider the idea of Quebec as a province gaining soveriegnty - Not only is Quebec a huge part of our national economy it is an even bigger part of our national heritage. If you are saying they should leave and you have never even been there yourself you are in no position to even make a decision - Educate yourselves before makes such drastic assumptions.

On a side note; have you ever been to the pub right on the highway called willy's? I used to spend every Friday and Saturday night there chatting up the staff, I learnt a great deal of french while drinking large bottles of beer and hitting on pretty french girls.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

Well being as Quebec has no major industry other than maybe maple syrup and have a large population I would argue that they are probably more of a cash eating province and put less into Canadas overall economy than they take out of it. All you hear from Quebec is we want more money. It could be said Quebecers want to leave Canada without seeing all of it too. So the arguement of "well if you havent been there dont knock it" is kinda redundant. Quebec started this debate over a hundred years ago, this thread just picked up where THEY left off.
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
chronicfisherman

Post by chronicfisherman »

Russ79 wrote:Well being as Quebec has no major industry other than maybe maple syrup and have a large population I would argue that they are probably more of a cash eating province and put less into Canadas overall economy than they take out of it. All you hear from Quebec is we want more money. It could be said Quebecers want to leave Canada without seeing all of it too. So the arguement of "well if you havent been there dont knock it" is kinda redundant. Quebec started this debate over a hundred years ago, this thread just picked up where THEY left off.

That is a joke right? No major industry? Do you know anything about Quebec? I suggest you do a bit of research before declaring such an assumption.

I could start throwing out a bunch of statistics and facts but they are so readily available that it's actually sad you would immediately make such a false assumption.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

chronicfisherman wrote:
Russ79 wrote:Well being as Quebec has no major industry other than maybe maple syrup and have a large population I would argue that they are probably more of a cash eating province and put less into Canadas overall economy than they take out of it. All you hear from Quebec is we want more money. It could be said Quebecers want to leave Canada without seeing all of it too. So the arguement of "well if you havent been there dont knock it" is kinda redundant. Quebec started this debate over a hundred years ago, this thread just picked up where THEY left off.

That is a joke right? No major industry? Do you know anything about Quebec? I suggest you do a bit of research before declaring such an assumption.

I could start throwing out a bunch of statistics and facts but they are so readily available that it's actually sad you would immediately make such a false assumption.

lol what maple syrup aint their major industry?
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.

Return to “Canada”