18%
Not sure
2%

Total votes: 44

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Should Quebec Leave?

Post by grammafreddy »

C'mon, Dave ... if it wasn't for the French on packaging, most Canadians would have no French at all!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

The French should go. The last separtist referendum was a close call if I remember correctly. They wanna go let em go, but we cut them off the teat forever!! The fact they have no other real Quebec opposition to the Bloc Party says enough and where their hearts lay. Not to mention every French man I've worked with in construction, from Quebec, are nuts!!!
I hate how we are forced to read and endure the French language on a daily basis, yet in Quebec, their laws dont force them to use english on signage and merchandise. They are not bound to the same language laws we all are, so if we wanna play fair is fair we should be allowed to eliminate French from our signs and merchandise. Its only fair.
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

grammafreddy wrote:C'mon, Dave ... if it wasn't for the French on packaging, most Canadians would have no French at all!

Which would be just fine by the majority of Canadians I would wager....
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Russ79 wrote:They are not bound to the same language laws we all are, so if we wanna play fair is fair we should be allowed to eliminate French from our signs and merchandise. Its only fair.

I naively visited quebec a couple times in the last few years and was a little surprised at the lack of English EVERYWHERE - this Canadian double standard is absurd. I have no problem with helping to support and continue the french traditions as a culture but where is the line drawn? You're a minority - you lost the battles in the 1700/1800's which would have kept you relevant (which is why you are a minority) - since when do the losers dictate to the controlling party what they are "entitled" to???

IMO - to keep things "fair" the french Canadians of history should have been offered the same deals as the Native Americans (not that I agree with everything the natives got or are currently getting) but at least the french would be put on the same playing field that they earned themselves pre 20th century
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

I used to be horrified at the thought of Quebec separating from the rest of Canada. Now, I would welcome the idea ... I see no reason for that NOT to happen. It has become far too militant and hardly worth the effort to make Quebec happy being a part of Canada.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

glassmaster wrote:I used to be horrified at the thought of Quebec separating from the rest of Canada. Now, I would welcome the idea ... I see no reason for that NOT to happen. It has become far too militant and hardly worth the effort to make Quebec happy being a part of Canada.

I completely agree - either you are a team player or you are on your own. We have "entertained" quebec long enough!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

As in all things, the radical frenzied zealots in Quebec are being seen as the voice of all Quebec residents/voters/whatever. I think once you get out of the strongholds of the zealots, the people are just like you and me and I don't think they all support that radical non-English-anything mentality. I also doubt most of them want to separate, either.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

grammafreddy wrote:As in all things, the radical frenzied zealots in Quebec are being seen as the voice of all Quebec residents/voters/whatever. I think once you get out of the strongholds of the zealots, the people are just like you and me and I don't think they all support that radical non-English-anything mentality. I also doubt most of them want to separate, either.

They speak with their votes. And to be frank, if i was a citizen of quebec i too would probably vote for the party that would benefit my province the most (who wouldn't?). As long as there is the threat of separation and the feds keep pandering to the notion by offering perks not afforded the other provinces - the separatist parties will continue to hold power and continue to bleed the rest of the country for more than if they were bargaining on a level playing field.
kristina386

Post by kristina386 »

If they did separate, where would they get all their gas, oil, fresh water, and 6/49 lottery winnings from? If they want to go, let them. Like every obnoxious teenager that just messes up your stuff, eats your food, and leaves.....Good bye, good luck.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

I would be very sad to see Quebec leave confederation and I believe the majority of Quebecers would be sad to leave. Not these guys though:

Graeme Hamilton Apr 4, 2011 – 2:17 PM ET

REUTERS/Mohammed Salem

The Bloc Québécois published its electoral policy statement Monday. And the picture it paints of life within Confederation is so relentlessly grim it’s a wonder the spirit driving the Arab Spring has not yet hit the shores of the St. Lawrence.

“Denying our aspirations, indifferent to our interests and opposed to our values, the Conservatives have permanently turned their backs on Quebec,” Bloc leader Gilles Duceppe writes in his introduction. A Conservative majority would mean “the complete negation of what we are,” he continues, and the other parties are hardly better: “In Ottawa, Quebec and its difference are a bother. The Canadian parties would like us to be a province like the others,” subjected to policies tailored for the other provinces.

The document remarks that the other parties are glad to hand over billions to Ontario’s automobile industry but leave “crumbs” for the forestry sector in Quebec. Clean energy projects dear to Quebecers hearts are ignored “so as not to displease Calgary.” And the Conservatives, Liberals and NDP are “lukewarm” about investing in research and development “since it is in Quebec that these state-of-the-art sectors are concentrated.”
Apparently the only malaise not attributable to the feds is the Canadiens’ late-season swoon. (Then again, it was one of the Bloc’s cousins in the Parti Québécois, Pierre Curzi, who last year blamed plotting federalists for excluding Quebec-born players from the Habs; stay tuned in the event of an early exit from the playoffs.)

It would be enough to make a Quebecer start looking for a safe haven, except that this Bloc platform, like the others before it, is really just an excercise in creative writing. The Bloc is a political party, and parties run on platforms, so it it has to be done. But the toughest job for the platform’s authors is not deciding where to stand on the death penalty (against) or money owed to Quebec (its “fair share,” or roughly $5-billion.) The real challenge is coming up with new ways of pretending the Bloc can actually do anything about the problems.

Running only in Quebec, the Bloc is eternally in opposition. So while other parties make promises and generally attach dollar figures, the Bloc, as its latest slogan indicates, talks. According to the policy statement, the Bloc “will demand” some things and it “undertakes to faithfully represent” other things. The party will be “keeping watch,” “proposing,” “showing its determination,” “putting forward,” “defending” and “continuing to say clearly what it thinks.”

Of course, having already established that all the other parties are lined up against Quebec, it might as well save its breath.

National Post
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

Under no circumstance should we allow a large chunk of our country to just leave...I know canadians get type cast as polite pushovers but that is just too much. If they leave we should tell them what land they can have, hey Nunavut you are moving err south in the the world and Quebec here you go enjoy your new northern digs. Or maybe just dissolve Quebec entirely and widen Ontario, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick...hell even toss P.E.I a piece.

I suppose maybe we could treat them like a spoiled teenager, fine you can move out on your own but it won't be long before you are crying to come home.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
Russ79
Board Meister

Post by Russ79 »

I'm sick and tired of hearing Quebec whine. Us non quebecers should hold our own referendum and vote to kick Quebec out of our Confederation. Wouldn't that shut them right up right quick! Soon as the money teat dried up they'd be crawling back so fast and have that Duceppe guy (However you spell his name) hangin from a tree.
What I find amazing is how a society that has no surviving members from the days when our nation was first born can still point the finger at us and demand something from us. I wasnt around back then... why should I even listen to your complaining? I dont owe Quebec a damn thing. Make it or break it like everyone else and shut up. Same goes for the Natives, my family came here from Europe, worked hard and earned everything they got in life. I dont owe natives a damn thing, I never took anyones land, yet my taxes go to supporting them and my government panders to their every whim. None of them have surviving members from the treaty days. They drive our cars, use our gas, live in houses, use electricity, have running water, have T.V, can own property, can work to earn money. I no longer see why they still complain, make it or break it like the rest of us. They dont like it they can get back on the horse, unplug the T.V, turn off the water, rip up the roads and sell us back the cars and break out the teepees. Will Canada EVER be done paying everyone back, who are no longer alive? People are holding these old grudges about things and they werent even born yet when they happened. Keep your cultural heritage alive, but its time to move on and join the rest of us.

Its funny we conquered Quebec back in the day and defeated the French, and we ended up with the whiniest little province in the world, we shoulda let France keep Quebec.... ohhhh thats right even France turned their backs on them too.
Hmmm I wonder if we can sue France for creating Quebec and causing us all grief. Hey why not! Quebec is doing it to us... so are the natives.. So Canada should be allowed to open old wounds and demand money from France!! This just might work...
:sleepdeprived:
If you are reading this thank your teacher.
If you are reading this in english thank a vet.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

The Bloc is just a protest party. Just think Alberta Wild Rose party. Quebec had enough of electing faceless suits, only to turn their back on a province when they go to Ottawa.

Yes there are some separatists. Lets be real. Quebec could NOT separate. Its more about a idea/sentiment than reality. So that whole sentiment is just for show and any validity to them actually leaving is pure bunk and political flak.

Instead of WHINING about Quebec - maybe listen to what they are saying? After all - they ARE Canadians and are unhappy with the current choices in out politic system ( big surprise ) People in Quebec would vote for the Cons, Libs or NDP if they felt their needs were going to be properly met by the people that get elected. Steven Harper makes it a point to FURTHER ISOLATE Quebec with his constant threats of a coalition and his fear mongering speeches. No wonder they are dissatisfied as voters!

You could easily say the Conservative hold on Alberta might as well be a Bloc of its own. Alberta has more money (and thus power and political sway) than people think. You really think anything gets done in the energy department in Canada without Alberta's stamp of approval? You really think those tailing ponds were "OK" to most Canadians - the ones you can see from space? Sick of catering to Quebec - why aren't you sick of catering to Alberta? What about ALL the other provinces with ALL their needs? Why don't we all just separate completely, regress society back about 1000 or so years and form little tribes of 5-10 families - who needs governments? Its time to get completely right wing, give up everything and do it ALL ourselves - sink or swim. If you break you leg at work, you will either starve or learn to do your job on one leg. YEE HAWW!

Lets not forget the Steven Harper's "Lets build a Firewall around Alberta" letter, back when he was President of the NEOCON conservative lobby group, the National Citizens Coalition. The NCC is against other Canadian things like the national health act - what a "Canadian" bunch of boys eh?

He's the Prime Minister currently and wanted Alberta to separate pretty much up until 2001 - now he's trying to win a election by demonizing people that want to separate! Its almost as if lowbrow voters can't pick up a old newspaper or a history book.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

My solution is just give Quebec to the Natives and one giant final land claim and the problems will be solved. Both of them. It's a win win for Canada. Think about that real hard now.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Russ79 wrote:Hearing that Bloc Quebec guy speak lately has re-inspired my dislike for Quebec. My personal feelings are that Quebec should separate from Canada and take their share of the debt with them. Lets be done with them once and for all and we can get rid of all the stupid french written on everything and abolish it from our schools, you wanna learn french go to french immersion.
Thats my thoughts.... What does everyone else think??

I like Quebec. I don't like her politics. Unfortunately they come part in parcel.

Mind you, most of us out west don't like our politicians either.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.

Return to “Canada”