Ontario farmworkers shocked by decision

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Ontario farmworkers shocked by decision

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/04/29/supreme-court.html
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that a provincial ban on farm unions is constitutional, denying more than 80,000 Ontario farm workers the right to unionize.

Wow I'm shocked too
here is a link to the Ag employees protection act the supreme court is siting http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_02a16_e.htm
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Ontario farmworkers shocked by decision

Post by Oxl3y »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/04/29/supreme-court.html
The Supreme Court of Canada has ruled that a provincial ban on farm unions is constitutional, denying more than 80,000 Ontario farm workers the right to unionize.

Wow I'm shocked too
here is a link to the Ag employees protection act the supreme court is siting http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_02a16_e.htm

Unionize farm workers and all produce sky rockets in price or ceases to be available...good call, however tough by the supreme court.
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

All farm workers should never get more than minimum wages.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

WTHWYT wrote:All farm workers should never get more than minimum wages.

Sounds unfair but you are right, no one should be making a career of farm work and if you are...well that's too bad you work in an industry that cannot support paying its workers higher wages.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Oxl3y wrote:

Sounds unfair but you are right, no one should be making a career of farm work and if you are...well that's too bad you work in an industry that cannot support paying its workers higher wages.

Your Okay that middle man makes a killing, farmer and his/her workers get sh*t on. :smt023
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

WTHWYT wrote:
Oxl3y wrote:

Your Okay that middle man makes a killing, farmer and his/her workers get sh*t on. :smt023

Who said I was?? I'm just saying it like it is. Unionizing the workers would not get rid of the middle man it would just cripple the farm industry so all in all good decision by the supreme court.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Oxl3y wrote:
WTHWYT wrote:
Oxl3y wrote:

Who said I was?? I'm just saying it like it is. Unionizing the workers would not get rid of the middle man it would just cripple the farm industry so all in all good decision by the supreme court.

wow it's not just about wages, it's about working conditions/accommodations and hours the wages are a small portion of how farm workers are undervalued.
I suppose I was more shocked that the rights to form a union were trampled. everyone should have the right to form a group to look after their well being.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Purpose of this Act
1. (1) The purpose of this Act is to protect the rights of agricultural employees while having regard to the unique characteristics of agriculture, including, but not limited to, its seasonal nature, its sensitivity to time and climate, the perishability of agricultural products and the need to protect animal and plant life. 2002, c. 16, s. 1 (1).
Same
(2) The following are the rights of agricultural employees referred to in subsection (1):
1. The right to form or join an employees’ association.
2. The right to participate in the lawful activities of an employees’ association.
3. The right to assemble.
4. The right to make representations to their employers, through an employees’ association, respecting the terms and conditions of their employment.
5. The right to protection against interference, coercion and discrimination in the exercise of their rights. 2002, c. 16, s. 1 (2).

So using thesaurus another word for association is union. That is funny
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

WTHWYT wrote:Purpose of this Act
1. (1) The purpose of this Act is to protect the rights of agricultural employees while having regard to the unique characteristics of agriculture, including, but not limited to, its seasonal nature, its sensitivity to time and climate, the perishability of agricultural products and the need to protect animal and plant life. 2002, c. 16, s. 1 (1).
Same
(2) The following are the rights of agricultural employees referred to in subsection (1):
1. The right to form or join an employees’ association.
2. The right to participate in the lawful activities of an employees’ association.
3. The right to assemble.
4. The right to make representations to their employers, through an employees’ association, respecting the terms and conditions of their employment.
5. The right to protection against interference, coercion and discrimination in the exercise of their rights. 2002, c. 16, s. 1 (2).

So using thesaurus another word for association is union. That is funny

Yes that's why I posted the link to the actual act
~ Terry Pratchett
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

If they put as much effort into finding a better job as they did trying to unionize this would all be a moot point. I used to work on a mushroom farm, I made minimum wage / no OT / long hours / sketchy conditions, no it was not fair but farm work is in a classification of its own because it has to be. Fixing all of those problems would only hurt the farmers that are already struggling leading to massive inflation on produce or just the farm industry shutting down all together in favor of american produce.

So long story short I can sympathize for farm workers but I realized I needed a better job and got out so should they.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Oxl3y wrote:If they put as much effort into finding a better job as they did trying to unionize this would all be a moot point. ... So long story short I can sympathize for farm workers but I realized I needed a better job and got out so should they.

You're right. No one should work on a farm :127:
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

The people who grow our food, can be treated like second-class citizens. Whose main goal Is to leave that life To become Over consuming suburbanites In 9-to-5 office jobs :eyeballspin: it's no wonder our food supply and our economy is deteriorating.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

grumpydigger wrote:The people who grow our food, can be treated like second-class citizens. Whose main goal Is to leave that life To become Over consuming suburbanites In 9-to-5 office jobs :eyeballspin: it's no wonder our food supply and our economy is deteriorating.

:rate10:
~ Terry Pratchett
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

Oxl3y wrote:So long story short I can sympathize for farm workers but I realized I needed a better job and got out so should they.

Tell that to the canola farmers...

Also, I enjoy food, do you? Maybe you should think about how that food gets to you. You'll see the actual problem much sooner.

Return to “Canada”