The Harper majority. Where Canada will go from here.

Al Czervic
Guru

The Harper majority. Where Canada will go from here.

Post by Al Czervic »

Obviously Harper is now free to put an end to taxpayer handouts for political parties much as he is free to FINALLY put an end to the long gun registry. However those were campaign items in the Conservative platform….my question is what else do you think a Harper majority will do? (And let’s try and be serious in our responses….)
Back with a vengeance
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: The Harper majority. Where Canada will go from here.

Post by GordonH »

For myself it more along the lines of concerns, and may Stephen with the policies he put threw ease those concerns I have. The main one is strong connection to the former Reform Party ties. So he has 4 years earn my full support, I will not freely give it .

Many of those I know and care about are in area's that are first to be hit by cuts, so if these policies and cuts hurt or effect them badly. I will not be happy about it, and will be regretting my May 2, 2011 decision.

Sorry Al, if this was not what you wanted on your thread.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:Sorry Al, if this was not what you wanted on your thread.

no, but it's the truth. As I said on another thread, I'm glad the Conservatives got a majority, I'm just not sure if giving Harper a majority is a good thing.

That being said, I'm truly shocked by the results. I never would have guessed that they would get a majority.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Down hill. We are going to lose face internationally with harpers 21st century imperialist agenda (world stage player) and the lower rungs of society are going to get worse (mandatory minimumsand prisons instead of schools)
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:For myself it more along the lines of concerns, and may Stephen with the policies he put threw ease those concerns I have. The main one is strong connection to the former Reform Party ties. So he has 4 years earn my full support, I will not freely give it .

Many of those I know and care about are in area's that are first to be hit by cuts, so if these policies and cuts hurt or effect them badly. I will not be happy about it, and will be regretting my May 2, 2011 decision.

What cut’s? I was unaware of any cut’s being announced? Perhaps you can clarify?
Back with a vengeance
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

I'm hoping for another look at the YCJA and tightening up the loose ends contained therein. There's too much in the way of inconsistency from one province to the next on how they interpret it.
This signature may be a forgery.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Al Czervic wrote:
hockeyfan1970 wrote:For myself it more along the lines of concerns, and may Stephen with the policies he put threw ease those concerns I have. The main one is strong connection to the former Reform Party ties. So he has 4 years earn my full support, I will not freely give it .

What cut’s? I was unaware of any cut’s being announced? Perhaps you can clarify?

9.9 times out of 10 times any Governments announce tax cuts services are cut as well to make up the loss. Those I am talking about are on fixed income so they have no room for extra expenses or changes to the level of care.
I am aware these people mean nothing to you Al, but to me they family.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:

9.9 times out of 10 times any Governments announce tax cuts services are cut as well to make up the loss. Those I am talking about are on fixed income so they have no room for extra expenses or changes to the level of care.

But you have not even confirmed that a) any cuts are actually even going to take place and that b) even if there were cut’s exactly what it is that would be getting cut. i.e. the first cut may be cutting the taxpayer handout to political parties. Will that hurt “those most vulnerable” ? Given that MP’s are already making a base salary of something like $ 160K a year I submit not.
Back with a vengeance
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

hockeyfan1970 wrote:9.9 times out of 10 times any Governments announce tax cuts services are cut as well to make up the loss. Those I am talking about are on fixed income so they have no room for extra expenses or changes to the level of care.

9.9 times out of 10 times any government announce cuts to services they cut THE GROWTH RATE at which services are being funded. Funding never goes down, it's just the rate at which they shovel more money into the pit slows down.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

WhatThe wrote:Down hill. We are going to lose face internationally with harpers 21st century imperialist agenda (world stage player) and the lower rungs of society are going to get worse (mandatory minimumsand prisons instead of schools)

Your right! When your at the top you can only go down hill. We are surviving the recession, the debt load that was incurred is manageable, its still one of the best places on the planet to live and I don't think we are going to have a problem with our reputation world wide (contrary to your imperialist agenda, which is in your own little fantasy world). Go travel around the planet and you will come back and kiss Harper on the lips!! I also don't have a problem putting criminals in jail!!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

rookie314 wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Down hill. We are going to lose face internationally with harpers 21st century imperialist agenda (world stage player) and the lower rungs of society are going to get worse (mandatory minimumsand prisons instead of schools)

Your right! When your at the top you can only go down hill. We are surviving the recession, the debt load that was incurred is manageable, its still one of the best places on the planet to live and I don't think we are going to have a problem with our reputation world wide (contrary to your imperialist agenda, which is in your own little fantasy world). Go travel around the planet and you will come back and kiss Harper on the lips!! I also don't have a problem putting criminals in jail!!

beefing up the military so we can operate abroad is not imperialist. Ok then. He already cost us security council seat.
And yes. Let's keep perpetuating the status quo cycle poverty and poor education, that's got nothing to do with crime.

Sorry pal, you're in the fantasy world. I'd sooner kick him in the teeth.
I don't even know why I responded to this typical drivel.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I would also like to see him set up an elected senate as he has suggested.

Would also agree with some of his tough on crime policies. IMO our legal system need some revamping to make the punishment fit the crime. It is not right when you can be punished more for killing a dog than a person. Police can save a dog from a hot car but not a child, come on. There should be no double time credit for time served. Hope he works on this.

I agree Al I would like to see the long gun registry disappear.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Just looking at the Bye Bye Block thread. Maybe we can geet Harper to pass a law that there can be no party in the federal parliament that only represents one province. They must run members in so many provinces before they are recognized.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Where will we go from here? Two tier health care. No net neutrality. Increased surveillance of our citizens. Shiny new jets to fight our "enemies" that we don't need. A failed criminal justice system that jails non violent offenders and concentrates more on punishment then prevention which has been a proven failure. I'm very disappointed in the direction we will be heading. I wore black today in mourning.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
CorkSoaker
Board Meister

Post by CorkSoaker »

Smurf wrote:There should be no double time credit for time served. Hope he works on this.

It looks like that has already changed.

http://www.slaw.ca/2010/02/24/changed-time-served-rule-now-in-force/
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things.

It is often said that truth is the first casualty of any war

Return to “Canada”