Slave Lake declares state of emergency -- mass evacuations

coffeeFreak
Guru

Slave Lake declares state of emergency -- mass evacuations

Post by coffeeFreak »

This is crazy for so early in the year!

Homes burning down as thousands flee Alberta town following wildfire
SLAVE LAKE, Alta. - Thousands of people are fleeing their homes in a northern Alberta town where an out-of-control wildfire has burned down many homes.
The Town of Slave Lake is urging the community of about 7,000 people to protect themselves by heading for parking lots, beaches or large, green open spaces.
RCMP spokeswoman Doris Stapleton says the town is on fire and many homes have been burned down.
She says no injuries have been reported.
Stapleton says an evacuation is underway and the RCMP have called in all available resources to assist in getting people out.
The town had declared a state of local emergency earlier on Sunday and was taking in evacuees from surrounding communities.
Slave Lake is located about 200 kilometres north of Edmonton.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-evacuated-strong-winds-fan-wildfires-northern-alberta-201504168.html

Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Slave Lake declares state of emergency -- mass evacuatio

Post by Amarow121 »

!!!

How is this the first I've heard of it!?

Guess we're all preoccupied with potential flooding.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Amarow, I was thinking the same thing. A huge news story right under the radar. Too bad waters from Manitoba can't be diverted to Slave Lake. Or our burgeoning flood situation sent up there.

I feel for those people. Don't which is worse, fire or flood damage, but too many people are getting hit hard.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
laurensawyer
Board Meister

slave lake wildfires

Post by laurensawyer »

anyone that has family in Slave lake, Alberta, i feel very sad for you. Can't help but notice no news about it but almost half the town has gone up in flames, police station, library, town hall, literally hundreds of buildings and counting. My own parents live there and think both their business and house are gone. Luckily they were out of town for medical reasons but why is there no news coverage on this?
bottleman
Fledgling

Post by bottleman »

my aunt and uncle lost their home tonight in slave lake. kinda scary reading the facebook updates from out of there, at one point all exits were cut off so people had to wait in the walmart parking lot while the town was burning. mandatory evac from the whole town now... seems like everyone was able to finally get out.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bottleman, I am sorry for your aunt and uncle's loss. It is terrible. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'll bet the big Insurance companies haven't or refuses to, insure people in rural areas up there but the media portrays those folk somehow as irresponsible curs without explaining how they could not get insurance.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Star Light
Guru

Post by Star Light »

How very sad for your Aunt & Uncle Bottleman & for the many others who lost their homes.

QK, I fail to understand how they could not get insurance, as per the norm msm is only giving a wee bit of the story.
Life is what happens while we are making plans for tomorrow
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

This pic is brutal: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid= ... =1&theater

Pretty scary stuff alright. Thankfully there seems to be no serious injuries or loss of life.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
janalta
Übergod

Post by janalta »

I was pretty disgusted with all of the BC news stations last night....not one single word from any of them of the fire situations in AB !!?? More than 50% of a town is gone and it doesn't make the news?
Fires are now spreading south and west....the town of Rocky Mountain House is now in the heart of it as well.
Wise enough to know better.
Old enough to care less.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

reports are varied as to the amount of devastation. It's ranging from:
Mayor Karina Pillay-Kinnee confirmed that the town has lost its town hall and radio station, and a "substantial number" of homes and buildings.

to
"The town is gone," one woman told CBC News. "There's nothing left. There's places where there should have been houses, and they're gone. We lost everything."

Heard they're having a hard time flying over the area due to the winds and updrafts caused by the fire.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

janalta wrote:Fires are now spreading south and west....the town of Rocky Mountain House is now in the heart of it as well.

There's 70 fires currently burning in AB. Heard from one person commenting on the news reports that supposedly they were evacuating the CNRL Horizon plant north of Ft. Mac.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

I know this may be a silly question. But what happens when a gas station is threatened by the fire? As the fire seems to be burning everything.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
cooldude
Fledgling

Post by cooldude »

coffeeFreak wrote:This is crazy for so early in the year!

Homes burning down as thousands flee Alberta town following wildfire
SLAVE LAKE, Alta. - Thousands of people are fleeing their homes in a northern Alberta town where an out-of-control wildfire has burned down many homes.
The Town of Slave Lake is urging the community of about 7,000 people to protect themselves by heading for parking lots, beaches or large, green open spaces.
RCMP spokeswoman Doris Stapleton says the town is on fire and many homes have been burned down.
She says no injuries have been reported.
Stapleton says an evacuation is underway and the RCMP have called in all available resources to assist in getting people out.
The town had declared a state of local emergency earlier on Sunday and was taking in evacuees from surrounding communities.
Slave Lake is located about 200 kilometres north of Edmonton.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/hundreds-evacuated-strong-winds-fan-wildfires-northern-alberta-201504168.html

Actually coffee, it is not uncommon for the north (boreal forests) to combust like this early season. The Black Spruce in conjunction with the foliar dip on the aspen/poplar trees make it ripe for the perfect storm. This is a crucial time for the north in all provinces and territories which will last till late June to early July. Having said that, the threat could extend into the dog days of summer as well. I hope everyone is safe and the crews are doing their best on the ground.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... .htm#62045

Slave Lake is burning to the ground
by Contributed - Story: 62045
May 16, 2011 / 11:09 am

The footage looks like Kelowna fire footage from 2003 except in Slave Lake the whole town maybe lost. Over 120 fire fighters from B.C. are joining Alberta fire fighters to help save what is left of the town.

An evacuation order remains in effect for the 7,000 residents of Slave Lake, after a wildfire has reportedly destroyed about 40 per cent of the town.

Around 8 p.m. Sunday, Slave Lake's town hall caught fire, followed by the library, and the main mall.

The hospital was eventually evacuated, and 29 patients had to be moved to hospitals in neighbouring Westlock, Boyle and Athabasca. One patient was flown to Edmonton.

A state of emergency was declared and residents were told to evacuate town or face being arrested. All residents, with the exception of rescue crews, fled town.

Early Monday morning, officials believed the flames were slowing down as the wind started to die down, but the fire has continued to burn uncontrollably in the east and north sections of town.

Castanet's Kelly Hayes is on his way to Slave Lake to provide coverage of the out of control wild fire.

Edited to fix the quote tags.
Last edited by grammafreddy on May 16th, 2011, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Canada”