Mounties to spend millions on promoting its brand

KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: Mounties to spend millions on promoting its brand

Post by KL3-Something »

my5cents wrote:So minimum service is two years ($73,126 a year minimum) + plus benefits X 36 riders. Just the gross wages for the riders, minimum (forgetting benefits) is $2,632,536.00

The way I read the news item the RCMP will be spending $11.3 million a year "pushing the RCMP brand". I don't see that saying that the cost of the ride is part of that "pushing", this I think the $11.3 is over and above that.

In other areas, it seems to indicate the budget for the ride was around $3.5 million, but if the bare wages for just the riders is $2.6, someone if fudging something.

The 11.3m includes the salaries.

And there's a lot more to it than the ride. The ride is only one (albeit significant) example. Red serge duty and other PR related function requests come in across the country every day for all kinds of situations. Citizenship ceremonies, hockey and baseball games, Canada Day celebrations plus marked vehicles leading parades and when the helicopter makes an appearance at things like Rutland Maydays to name a few. Has anyone ever been to a sunset ceremony in Regina in the summer? While some of these things are done on a volunteer basis by members on their own time, members are compensated for some functions. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are paid overtime to go but when they are away from active duty for a few hours those few hours are accounted for and come out of a separate fund so that the city/province isn't paying for a member, who should be policing the community, to be out PR-ing.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

my5cents wrote:McDonalds doesn't spend my tax dollars.

You're putting about 25 cents a year towards it out of your tax dollars. Tell me where you want to meet, I'll flip you a twonie and we can call it square for a few years.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

KL3-Something wrote:

You're putting about 25 cents a year towards it out of your tax dollars. Tell me where you want to meet, I'll flip you a twonie and we can call it square for a few years.

:rate10:
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I'm happy enough supporting this, but damn those quarters add up...
Your bias suits you.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

when they are away from active duty for a few hours those few hours are accounted for and come out of a separate fund so that the city/province isn't paying for a member, who should be policing the community, to be out PR-ing.

Not trying to poke or anything KL but just for interest, how much of that "separate" fund comes from the monies collected from licencing fee's ?. I've seen so many red surge "rip off's in movies ,TV, etc, that I wonder how much those fees bring in every year ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
cutter7
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by cutter7 »

KL3-Something wrote:

That toonie came out his tax dollars too........just saying
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Post by kelownalongtime »

How about asking the charities that the RCMP put thier support behind?

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/depot/news-no ... cc-eng.htm
kelownalongtime
Board Meister

Post by kelownalongtime »

Capture.JPG
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

KL3-Something wrote:

Perhaps prior to resorting to flipant responses, you'd care to read the posts that resulted in my comment.

My post was in response to kelownalongtime making the point that other organizations, the example was McDonalds, also spend lots of money promoting their product. My post was pointing out that a private company could spend money anywhere they liked, but that the RCMP were spending tax dollars and as a result are responsible to answer to Canadians for those expenditures.

kelownalongtime wrote:They may be promoting their version of the CANADIAN brand that has become well known throughout the world. How many countries have the same claim? How does the USA stand out? How about Hong Kong, Uruguay, Iraq, China, Cambodia, just to name a very few? What kind of recognition and respect do these countries have on the international stage?
Are you not PROUD of the Canadian way of life and one of the institutions that got us here? Do we not have bragging rights? What kind of image does the USA gain for their Blue Angels? Our Snowbirds may be really great but, they pale in comparison to other countries' military flying skills.
The RCMP Musical Ride is a Canadian institution that sets us apart from all others. Put a $$ figure on that. How much does McDonald's spend every year for their big M?

I have seen, first hand on many many occasions, RCMP administrators crying poor, excusing their inaction on projects that were worthwhile, because of a lack of funds. As you say $11 million + isn't a lot across Canada, but when criminals are left to ply their trade at the expense of the tax paying citizen, it is repugnant to see an increase in police budgeted funds going towards trying to clean up the image of the "great RCMP" and it's traditions at the expense of Canadians who could be prevented from becoming victims of crime.

KL3-Something wrote:You're putting about 25 cents a year towards it out of your tax dollars

So your issue is that $11 million+ isn't a large sum since every Canadian tax payer only contributes a few cents ?

When someone is caught illegally with a large sum of Federal funds, they shouldn't be prosecuted since it's only a few cents per Canadian ??

Perhaps this attitude you're displaying is one of the reasons the RCMP needs such a large PR fund.

KL3-Something wrote:The 11.3m includes the salaries.

And there's a lot more to it than the ride. The ride is only one (albeit significant) example. Red serge duty and other PR related function requests come in across the country every day for all kinds of situations. Citizenship ceremonies, hockey and baseball games, Canada Day celebrations plus marked vehicles leading parades and when the helicopter makes an appearance at things like Rutland Maydays to name a few. Has anyone ever been to a sunset ceremony in Regina in the summer? While some of these things are done on a volunteer basis by members on their own time, members are compensated for some functions. That doesn't necessarily mean that they are paid overtime to go but when they are away from active duty for a few hours those few hours are accounted for and come out of a separate fund so that the city/province isn't paying for a member, who should be policing the community, to be out PR-ing.

I don't think for a second that the $11.3 includes the budget for the ride, which is in the area of $4 million.

… and the "Red serge duty" that includes "Citizenship ceremonies, hockey and baseball games" ???

Here's and example of the Red serge PR with national exposure :

http://www.globaltvbc.com/video/index.h ... on3DllkQnW
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I have seen, first hand on many many occasions, RCMP administrators crying poor, excusing their inaction on projects that were worthwhile, because of a lack of funds. As you say $11 million + isn't a lot across Canada, but when criminals are left to ply their trade at the expense of the tax paying citizen, it is repugnant to see an increase in police budgeted funds going towards trying to clean up the image of the "great RCMP" and it's traditions at the expense of Canadians who could be prevented from becoming victims of crime

A very good point..... How much to replace those crappy "cop cams" ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

grammafreddy wrote:I have no problem with this. The RCMP "brand" is an instantly recognizable symbol of Canada and every Canadian kid should have an opportunity to see the Musical Ride.

Past tense should be used here.

They used to have a brand, tall, fit and in red Serge wearing a Stetson. Not so now!!

They should have just said "NO" If do not fit the standard, sorry. You would never be hired to be a lawyer without the education, why hire those who do not meet a set level of standards?? Beyond me!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Kenyo wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I have no problem with this. The RCMP "brand" is an instantly recognizable symbol of Canada and every Canadian kid should have an opportunity to see the Musical Ride.

Past tense should be used here.

They used to have a brand, tall, fit and in red Serge wearing a Stetson. Not so now!!

They should have just said "NO" If do not fit the standard, sorry. You would never be hired to be a lawyer without the education, why hire those who do not meet a set level of standards?? Beyond me!!

Oh, I don't know, Kenyo ........ there's some mighty hunky RCMP officers out there.

... just something about a guy in a uniform :D especially if it is red serge with high browns.

*drool*

However ... has anyone ever seen an RCMP member in the Musical Ride wearing a turban?
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Come to think of it ... is when Inkster was in charge that it all started to go downhill?

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Yeup...And then there was Zacardelli(sp?)

Return to “Canada”