US/CDN border "security perimeter"

zudnic

US/CDN border "security perimeter"

Post by zudnic »

A few months back it was announced that Canada and the United States would be working on a security perimeter agreement. Basically from what I've gathered via media is that "we" are working on a border around Canada and the U.S to be jointly managed.

By working closely with the U.S. to develop a security perimeter around both nations while easing passage across the common border, Canada can enhance its economic competitiveness, improve travellers' cross-border experience and keep the trade dollars flowing.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/business/Ca ... z1PBid0yNI

and more:

Prime Minister Stephen Harper and U.S. President Barack Obama are seeking a sweeping deal to establish a North American security and trade perimeter, opening talks Friday that could lead to jointly operated Canada-U.S. border facilities, an integrated entry-exit system to track travellers and the deployment of "cross-designated" law enforcement officers to intercept terrorists and criminals.

Harper touted the plan as vital to both the safety and prosperity of Canadians, even as critics expressed concerns a future agreement with the U.S. could compromise the nation's sovereignty.

"This declaration is not about sovereignty. We are sovereign countries who have the capacity to act as we choose to act," Harper told reporters following an hour-long White House meeting with Obama.

"It is in Canada's interests to work with our partners in the United States to ensure that our borders are secure and ensure that we can trade and travel across them as safely and as openly as possible, within the context of our different laws. And that is what we're trying to achieve here."

The ambitious border declaration — the product of several months of behind-the-scenes preliminary work — foresees the most significant changes in the Canada-U.S. border relationship since the North American Free Trade Agreement.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/business/Harper+O ... z1PBjOY6RP

The above articles fail to mention "we" all ready have integrated law enforcement programs.

info here: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ibet-eipf/index-eng.htm and http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/ibet-eipf/shiprider-eng.htm

We've had NORAD for decades so air is also covered. I'm bringing this up because it seems both governments are doing something major without debating or making it public other than we are planning this and an agreement might be in place. Fine but it looks like its a done deal and know they are "making" it official.

More important what does this mean for our land borders and immigration, etcetera will they close all together. Are we moving towards a merged Canada and United States?

With a combined population of 52 million and a GDP of $2.5 trillion, Alaska, British Columbia, California, Oregon and Washington are poised to emerge as a mega-region and global economic powerhouse driven by innovation, energy, geographic location and sustainable resource management, attracting new jobs and investment while enhancing an already unparalleled quality of life.

On June 30, 2008, the leaders of the five jurisdictions signed the Pacific Coast Collaborative Agreement, the first agreement that brings together the Pacific leaders as a common front to set a cooperative direction into the Pacific Century. Out of this agreement was born the Pacific Coast Collaborative -- a formal basis for cooperative action, a forum for leadership and information sharing, and a common voice on issues facing Pacific North America.
source: http://www.pacificcoastcollaborative.or ... lcome.aspx

It seems Pacific North America thinks so. Not conspiracy because all my sources are mainstream, like the RCMP. Added together just makes me go whats going on? :skyisfalling:
FreeRights
Guru

Re: US/CDN border "security perimeter"

Post by FreeRights »

Your sources suggest two very close allies working together, but it does not suggest anything in terms of merging Canada and the United States. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
zudnic

Post by zudnic »

FreeRights wrote:Your sources suggest two very close allies working together, but it does not suggest anything in terms of merging Canada and the United States. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Does say have common immigration laws, etcetera. Not an official merge but have both countries following the same rules and regulation immigration wise---seems like a move towards an open land border between the two. Kind of like a European Union. I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive into Washington State like going into a province like Alberta. If I can do that, could I also move to a U.S state like I could with a province--by just doing it and no immigration. More curious to see what this new perimeter approach means---stated goal is a more open border for people and goods. I'm just wondering how open.

They say they are in the planning stage of integrated law enforcement, etcetera, but you go to the RCMP and see we all ready have integrated law enforcement at the border. Add in the agreement between British Columbia and the four U.S states, it would seem also all ready have an integrated North American approach in place.

I'm hopeful its an open land border and that I can freely move around without customs or immigration--cause Id live winters in California if I could also freely work.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Right now Predator drones are flying directly over the Canadian border, and see almost 35 miles into our country from 40,000 feet up, and are able to tell emotional responses on your face and other details. Wave!

You voted for a Conservative government, now reap the rewards Canada.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

zudnic wrote:
FreeRights wrote:Your sources suggest two very close allies working together, but it does not suggest anything in terms of merging Canada and the United States. Sounds like a conspiracy theory to me.

Does say have common immigration laws, etcetera. Not an official merge but have both countries following the same rules and regulation immigration wise---seems like a move towards an open land border between the two. Kind of like a European Union. I'm wondering if I'll be able to drive into Washington State like going into a province like Alberta. If I can do that, could I also move to a U.S state like I could with a province--by just doing it and no immigration. More curious to see what this new perimeter approach means---stated goal is a more open border for people and goods. I'm just wondering how open.

They say they are in the planning stage of integrated law enforcement, etcetera, but you go to the RCMP and see we all ready have integrated law enforcement at the border. Add in the agreement between British Columbia and the four U.S states, it would seem also all ready have an integrated North American approach in place.

I'm hopeful its an open land border and that I can freely move around without customs or immigration--cause Id live winters in California if I could also freely work.

It's my opinion that, by "integrated", they mean "cooperative". Increasing trade between the provinces and states that appear to be the next economy boom is just good economics, nothing else.

I also very much doubt that moving between the US and Canada is going to become easy. Looking at it historically since 2001, you'll notice that it's actually become more difficult to visit (Visas, Passports required now) and especially now it's nearly impossible to immigrate.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
zudnic

Post by zudnic »

Some news articles have the PM saying integrated customs facilities, as in Canada and U.S customs becoming one and the same. Not sure if I like that having the American department of homeland security becoming Canada's as well. The reason that Canada is going to adopt the same immigration and customs laws as the USA. This will also lead to easier movement of goods and people between the two countries. I just wonder if that will make travel between the two like having a NEXUS card for all citizens and immigrants? The media is only making it all speculative because both governments have not said what they are working towards. All thats known is its as big as NAFTA!!!!!!!!

Return to “Canada”