Spider scares family out of home!

my5cents
Guru

Re: Spider scares family out of home!

Post by my5cents »

Lizard wrote:You could just leave them alone. Spiders aren't really going to go out of their way to attack you, and they are quite beneficial in controlling other insects in the home and garden.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/cps-spc/pubs/pes ... ex-eng.php
http://www.geog.ubc.ca/biodiversity/efauna/spiders.html

You are correct Lizard. For myself the only ones I kill are black widows. I reluctantly do so for personal safety. It's not like they are out hunting for humans it's just if we accidentally interfere with each other, the bite is too severe to play with.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

I don't think it is the ones you see that harm you... The ones you do not see (until you have interfered with them and have been bitten) are the dangerous ones. I have lived quite happily with black widows on my patio, in my shed, etc. and never have had a problem. But maybe it is just professional courtesy....
Chill
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

flamingfingers wrote:I don't think it is the ones you see that harm you... The ones you do not see (until you have interfered with them and have been bitten) are the dangerous ones. I have lived quite happily with black widows on my patio, in my shed, etc. and never have had a problem. But maybe it is just professional courtesy....

Agreed, but if I kill the ones I see, then they (or their off spring) won't be available to be the one I don't see later.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Lizard
Fledgling

Post by Lizard »

You could relocate them, rather than killing them.
lilbuddy
Fledgling

Post by lilbuddy »

Just wondering was anyone ever bitten around here??
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I've been bitten by two of them, no doubt, I killed them both. Painful bites and a long time to heal, no other problems.
Black Dogs Matter
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

We used to have tons of black widows in our old place. My son loved to watch them build their webs and chow down on dinner. We always have at least one hanging around now as well. One lives under the siding by the water tap in my front yard. If I find one inside the house my son usually takes it outside for me. I hate spiders! Can't stand the creepy little critters. I've never been bitten by one, mostly because I avoid them like the plague, but also because I tend to always wear my gloves when I'm working in the yard.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.

Return to “Canada”