Lord of the Board

Re: Happy Canada Day !

Post by wthwyt »

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

canada-day.jpg
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
GWH237
Fledgling

Post by GWH237 »

[img]
3dflags-can1-3.gif
[/img]
Attachments
3dflags-can1-3.gif
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

:crocodiletears: I had to miss Canada Day downtown this time but we are going out to a gig later to celebrate and should be home in time for the fireworks.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

We are so good ...

Canadian gadgets and scientific breakthroughs
By David White

Celebrate our national holiday with a look at some notable made-in-Canada tech toys and homegrown scientific achievements.

http://www.sync-blog.com/sync/2011/06/c ... oughs.html
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

DO YOU KNOW YOUR CANADIAN TRIVIA?
By Megan Siegel (canadianliving.com)

Do you think you're a Canadian trivia buff? Take our quiz to find out!

Canadians have a strong identity separate from any other nation... but it's not all about poutine, Beaver Tails and Celine Dion! We've created a series of trivia quesions on culture, history and sports that can make the most patriotic Canuck sweat. Test your knowledge of Canadiana with our challenging quiz -- you may be surprised at what you learn.

http://lifestyle.sympatico.ca/canada/qu ... trivia.htm
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

You answered 4 out of 12 questions correctly. Your score is 33%

Not bad.

For your information, you did better than 0% of all respondents.

Thank you for taking our quiz.

LOL - too many sporting and hockey questions ... like who cares if Gretzke had 2,857 points in his career??? He's a has-been now. Not every Canadian is into sports! And the question about the CN Tower is very misleading - I knew the Dubai tower was the world's tallest freestanding structure so answered differently - but they went with that answer and then qualified their answer as "it used to be". That wasn't what they asked.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote: LOL - too many sporting and hockey questions ... like who cares if Gretzke had 2,857 points in his career??? He's a has-been now. Not every Canadian is into sports! And the question about the CN Tower is very misleading - I knew the Dubai tower was the world's tallest freestanding structure so answered differently - but they went with that answer and then qualified their answer as "it used to be". That wasn't what they asked.

Ya, i got the CN Tower question wrong for the same reaon you did grammy, and also had no clue how many points Gretzke had. I also answered the bilingual province question wrong (New Brunswick? Who woulda figured?), but got the rest right - although I admit I had a couple of lucky guessses.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

steven lloyd wrote:
grammafreddy wrote: LOL - too many sporting and hockey questions ... like who cares if Gretzke had 2,857 points in his career??? He's a has-been now. Not every Canadian is into sports! And the question about the CN Tower is very misleading - I knew the Dubai tower was the world's tallest freestanding structure so answered differently - but they went with that answer and then qualified their answer as "it used to be". That wasn't what they asked.

Ya, i got the CN Tower question wrong for the same reaon you did grammy, and also had no clue how many points Gretzke had. I also answered the bilingual province question wrong (New Brunswick? Who woulda figured?), but got the rest right - although I admit I had a couple of lucky guessses.

I knew it was either New Brunswick or Nova Scotia ... but I jumped left when I shoulda jumped right - or something like that. I got that one wrong, too. Two of my four right answers were lucky guesses - one of which was the Gretzky question :D The other was the population of Canada - based on the census 5 years ago!!! Like, how factual is that any more! Sheesh!

The bar I used to frequent had a Trivial Pursuit arcade-type game - that's why I went there. I used to always be the high scorer and could put my quarter in and play all night. But then, it didn't include half-truths and tricky questions - just the facts!

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Canada's national anthem, as proclaimed in 1980, is a slightly modified version of the first verse of a poem written by Judge R. Stanley Weir in 1908.

O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North, strong and free!
And stand on guard, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.

Refrain
O Canada, glorious and free!
We stand on guard, we stand on guard for thee.
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

O Canada! Where pines and maples grow.
Great prairies spread and lordly rivers flow.
How dear to us thy broad domain,
From East to Western Sea,
Thou land of hope for all who toil!
Thou True North, strong and free!

Refrain
O Canada, glorious and free! etc.

O Canada! Beneth thy shining skies
May stalwart sons and gentle maidens rise,
To keep thee steadfast through the years
From East to Western Sea,
Our own beloved native land!
Our True North, strong and free!

Refrain
O Canada, glorious and free! etc.

Ruler supreme, who hearest humble prayer,
Hold our dominion whithin thy loving care;
Help us to find, O God, in thee
A lasting, rich reward,
As waiting for the Better Day,
We ever stand on guard.

Refrain
O Canada, glorious and free! etc

Original Poem by Judge, R. Stanley Weir, 1908

Music by: Calixa Lavallée

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

You answered 12 out of 12 questions correctly. Your score is 100%

This is excellent!

For your information, you did better than 95% of all respondents.

Good thing I read about the national anthem the other day or I would have gotten it wrong. Helps when you and a couple of friends try stumping each other with trivia questions every day and you have to search for the answers.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We got to see the fireworks from the Westside tonight, WOW! Loved them yet again.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

And tomorrow you can watch the Westside Daze fireworks from Kelowna unless you manage to grab a spot on this side of the bridge beforehand.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I got all the questions right on my second attempt.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Canada”