Air Canada to pay $12K for French service lapse

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: Air Canada to pay $12K for French service lapse

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Urbane wrote:
    OneAngryCitizen wrote:Did you see that guy give a TV interview. While his English was not perfect. he was a long, long way from not being to understand English. What a joke.
And even though he'll be getting money from Air Canada right now he can probably still go to the human rights commission and say he was offended. Remember that all you have to do is prove you were offended and voila! More cash courtesy of the taxpayers of Canada. And we know that he and his wife were "offended" enough to take this to court and probably the $12K isn't quite enough to soothe their hurt feelings.

This is the second time this bozo has sued Air Canada - the last time was 2002.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
    Urbane wrote:
      OneAngryCitizen wrote:Did you see that guy give a TV interview. While his English was not perfect. he was a long, long way from not being to understand English. What a joke.
    And even though he'll be getting money from Air Canada right now he can probably still go to the human rights commission and say he was offended. Remember that all you have to do is prove you were offended and voila! More cash courtesy of the taxpayers of Canada. And we know that he and his wife were "offended" enough to take this to court and probably the $12K isn't quite enough to soothe their hurt feelings.

This is the second time this bozo has sued Air Canada - the last time was 2002.
Pretty good scam and he's getting help from the courts.
Loed
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Loed »

How do judges(who are not required to be bilingual) not just laugh this out of court? I don't get that...

Ohh right, politics....
Last edited by Loed on Jul 14th, 2011, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

When you watch the video, you can see that this guy actually thinks he is doing some great service to the country - protecting the lowly Francophone from the horrors of having to speak to a flight attendant in English. This guy is right up there with Gandhi and Mother Theresa in terms of humanitarians all right.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
c2c
Fledgling

Post by c2c »

I have many francophone friends. They all speak English. When we get together, we generally speak French. It is what we do.

I have travelled a number of times with a francophone on Air Canada. We generally get good service. On occasion, we do get a cold “I don’t speak French.” response from an Air Canada employee. The underlying attitude is what turns me blue.

My friends from the east often come to BC to ski. When we hit restaurants and bars, we speak French, even in BC. More often than not, in BC, the waiters/waitresses can’t speak French, but they smile, joke and eventually get our order. This tends to happen in the best restaurants and bars. These places tend to have a service/hospitality attitude that transcends language.

The cold “I don’t speak French” response from service personnel is completely contrary to the service/hospitality philosophy that I appreciate in well run companies. Curiously, my francophone friend and I have never had this response when flying West Jet.

Return to “Canada”