Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients

WhatThe

Re: Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients

Post by WhatThe »

Captain Awesome wrote:And that's why I think it's just a feel-good effort made for political gains. Good for headlines, that is all.

I agree.

Not everyone is going to behave as well as we would like, or there wouldn't be crime.
So why do we pretend to think that people will?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

WhatThe wrote:So why do we pretend to think that people will?

I'm sure a lot of drug users receive welfare funds. I'm sure the proportions are quite high in comparing to other population layers.

But demanding drug tests for the entire system because of some savings is like spending 10 dollars to realized $1.50 in profit.

Then again, govt isn't known for its fiscal brilliance.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

WhatThe wrote:I'm curious about the tests themselves. Blood samples, urine samples, saliva ?
And if I eat a poppy seed bagel I'll test positive for opiates, of course if the tests are done within 48 hours. Will I be denied benefits? What now, don't eat poppy seed bagels? Lie detector test to prove I'm lying or not?
I could smoke crack for 28 days, let it pass through my system and collect the cheque on the 31st.
This idea has so many holes...

Exactly!
Hair analysis is a more accurate way to drug test...of course if you are bald, you have to wait until your hair grows out to at least an inch. No, pubic is not used for this kind of test. :127: (So no financial benefits for you until then!) If you have longer hair, it can be tested in segments and you can confirm your drug use (or not) for at least the past year. Of course, cost varies depending upon number of segments and number of drugs tested for, including alcohol. Prescription drugs are noted at the time the hair is taken and the test can separate prescribed painkillers and the like.
Florida also expects the applicant for "temporary benefits" to pay for their own drug test and if it comes back clean then the state will reimburse them for it. Those that I know here in Canada that apply for GAIN (welfare), are at the end of their financial teather. They don't have money to pay for a drug test. A hair analysis can cost several hundred dollars and even the other types of drug tests wouldn't be cheap, because BC Medical wouldn't cover the process, nor the completing of a report.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Canada”