Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients

Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients

Post by Oxl3y »

Florida has instated mandatory drug tests for people that are applying for welfare and I can only hope that Canada starts to do this as well. Applicants have to pay for their own test which gets recouped in their assistance if they pass. A failure means you cannot personally collect benefits (and are stuck with the test bill) but if you have children you can designate someone to collect on their behalf which I imagine would be under a watchful eye.

The state is being sued saying this is unconstitutional and paints all welfare users as drug addicts but that is a load of bull. Some jobs require people to perform drug tests to work there why should receiving money for free be any different? I think this is brilliant it forces people to be held accountable for their own actions, it may get some addicts who were denied to clean up their act. It could also mean a lot of homeless drug addicts but that is their choice there is zero reason that taxpayers should have to pay for their addiction.

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-06-01/politics/florida.welfare.drug.testing_1_drug-testing-drug-screening-tanf?_s=PM:POLITICS
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/05/florida-government-defends-requiring-drug-tests-for-welfare-recipients/
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Re: Mandatory drug tests for welfare recipients

Post by strwbrrydvl »

I think it's good they're ensuring that welfare money goes into the roof over their heads instead of up their noses but it certainly does paint all receipients as drug users. If they're going to test for drugs then they should figure out a way to ensure that welfare money doesn't go towards booze too. Oh wait, buying liquor helps put some of that money back in to the government so of course they wouldn't care if they're supporting alcoholics.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Kind of a catch 22 situation. One way or another the State will end up paying so maybe if the flunk the test they should go into rehab, no choice!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Bsuds wrote:Kind of a catch 22 situation. One way or another the State will end up paying so maybe if the flunk the test they should go into rehab, no choice!

In many instances that would be an enormous waste of money, 'recreational users' don't need rehab.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

But you can be a full blown alcoholic and it isn't an issue? or obese? or a smoke? I would recommend all those Florida folk get extra security systems in place because, I suspect the petty crime rate is about to go up substantially.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I guess then it would depend on what drug was in their system.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

This is going to be a huge and costly mistake, it won't work. Save a few hundred bucks but spend tens of thousands with th associated costs of homelessness- prison, courts, ER and paramedics etc.
If a peson won't stop using drugs for themselves and family what makes you think they will for a pittance of a welfare cheque?
The more desperate we make people the more desperate they will behave, that's been shown.
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

WhatThe wrote:This is going to be a huge and costly mistake, it won't work. Save a few hundred bucks but spend tens of thousands with th associated costs of homelessness- prison, courts, ER and paramedics etc.
If a peson won't stop using drugs for themselves and family what makes you think they will for a pittance of a welfare cheque?
The more desperate we make people the more desperate they will behave, that's been shown.

Well I agree that is not a perfect solution I don't agree with coddling these people either. Why should tax payers have to support a drug habit? Maybe if they test positive they can still get welfare but they have to work for it cleaning trash off highways chain gang style (lol the losers would probably bow out on their own then).

Also it wouldn't save just a few hundred bucks we are talking $250+ a month for however long across who knows how many people, it could be quite substantial.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

What if they grew their own marijuana and tested positive? Throwing them off the system will cost us a lot more in the long run. It's just another attack on the poor, we don't pee test rich people, they can afford bodily integrity I guess.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Oxl3y »

jennylives wrote:What if they grew their own marijuana and tested positive? Throwing them off the system will cost us a lot more in the long run. It's just another attack on the poor, we don't pee test rich people, they can afford bodily integrity I guess.

BS we don't pee test rich people, mine workers making 100k a year have to take drug test, so do lots of blue collar people. Also so called "rich" people are not asking to get money for nothing. Getting welfare should be the most uncomfortable process possible, tons of hoops to jump through, proof that you are not just a lazy sponge.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

So the OP states he wants this in Canada.

Living on welfare you don't even have enough money for rent. Let alone food. This is why we have slum lords, and crack shacks. you cant rent a place when your total income is 400 dollars per month. Thats why 12 people live in a 2 bedroom place on Bernard.

If these people cant get their 400 from welfare because of drug tests, they will just steal BBQ's and car stereos instead to get their drug money. What a great idea! I guess in the long run - we will just put people in jail for being poor!

Meanwhile we give hundreds of millions of dollars in tax breaks to the richest people in Canada - without a SINGLE string attached. Do they *have* to create jobs in Canada? Nope. Do they *have* to set up their next call center in Canada? Nope. Instead of paying their fair share in taxes - they can blow their savings on hookers and blow! Who is going to stop them? Your taxes will go up to pay for these breaks btw.

So lets step on the necks of the poor even more, meanwhile some multi-millionaire doesn't have to pay any taxes and uses his savings to buy a house in Mexico.

Yes - get mad at the people on welfare - their lives are too cushy.
Last edited by Bagotricks on Jul 19th, 2011, 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I think there are better ways to control spendings on welfare system or to improve it than testing for drugs.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Oxl3y wrote:
jennylives wrote:What if they grew their own marijuana and tested positive? Throwing them off the system will cost us a lot more in the long run. It's just another attack on the poor, we don't pee test rich people, they can afford bodily integrity I guess.

BS we don't pee test rich people, mine workers making 100k a year have to take drug test, so do lots of blue collar people. Also so called "rich" people are not asking to get money for nothing. Getting welfare should be the most uncomfortable process possible, tons of hoops to jump through, proof that you are not just a lazy sponge.

See my last post. Fail. No we don't "test" rich people that take from the public purse.

Ask Steven Lloyd about "Getting welfare should be the most uncomfortable process possible, tons of hoops to jump through, proof that you are not just a lazy sponge" - does that include single moms who have been beaten and are now homeless and jobless?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

All the hoops of welfare that already exist mostly serve to turn collecting the money into a full-time job.
CJT84
Board Meister

Post by CJT84 »

here's an idea: Cut the salaries of those who work at the welfare office and start a program for those on welfare to work in the welfare office for minimum wage allowing those with perhaps no skills to earn some job experience and saving a lot of money for the taxpayer in the process. Since many are familiar with how to fill out applications and whatnot, it should be a relatively easy transition.

Once they get 6 months experience or so give them an excellent reference and let them find work in the private sector.

Return to “Canada”