Retired RCMP blood splatter expert gets conditional sentence

goatboy
Guru

Re: Retired RCMP blood splatter expert gets conditional sent

Post by goatboy »

If we use this case as an example. He was a member with 32 years service. Not sure how recruiting,training and upper management could have changed how this member acted.

Also, keep this in mind, if 1% of Mounties are bad, that's 180. 2% - 360, 3% 540. I think you'd be hard pressed to come up with 180 members that have been guilty of negligence. That also means 99% are good. Perception is not always reality. It's also a far cry from GD's assertion that the RCMP is nonfunctional.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Just because it's mostly good we shouldn't fix the parts that aren't working?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

goatboy wrote:If we use this case as an example. He was a member with 32 years service. Not sure how recruiting,training and upper management could have changed how this member acted.

Good point.

Was there a massive outrage against the RCMP back in the 80's or 90's when this guy worked? The cries against RCMP failing the public are fairly recent (last 5 years or so) and this guy had already been on the job for 25 years. An overhaul would have had to happen 30 years ago in order to "save" this guy.
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Mr. Personality wrote:Just because it's mostly good we shouldn't fix the parts that aren't working?

That's not what I'm saying. Fix what needs to be fixed. As any organization the RCMP should always be looking at how to do things better. I just don't think it's as broken as some make it out to be.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

goatboy wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:Just because it's mostly good we shouldn't fix the parts that aren't working?

That's not what I'm saying. Fix what needs to be fixed. As any organization the RCMP should always be looking at how to do things better. I just don't think it's as broken as some make it out to be.

No, but it's not as functional as others make it out to be.
There are problems, this much we know. It may be a small percentage of the population but given the authority these guys have, should we not demand better from them?
goatboy
Guru

Post by goatboy »

Mr. Personality wrote:
goatboy wrote:

There are problems, this much we know. It may be a small percentage of the population but given the authority these guys have, should we not demand better from them?

I guess it depends on what you're demanding. Is it attainable? Is it realistic? We can say we should never have a police officer break the law, be negligent or unprofessional, but that isn't going to happen, anywhere.

What, specifically, do you think should change?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Mr. Personality wrote:There are problems, this much we know. It may be a small percentage of the population but given the authority these guys have, should we not demand better from them?

Yes, we should. Most definitely.

As Goatboy and myself have both said, we are not enamored with the RCMP. We realize there are problems, problem members, etc... and we don't blindly trust the RCMP or it's members. But blasting them without merit and/or exaggerating claims does nothing but push people away. It does more harm than good.

Hell, neither of us like the RCMP that much but we are apparently "cheerleaders" because we want the subject broached accurately and fairly.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

goatboy wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:
goatboy wrote:

I guess it depends on what you're demanding. Is it attainable? Is it realistic? We can say we should never have a police officer break the law, be negligent or unprofessional, but that isn't going to happen, anywhere.

What, specifically, do you think should change?

I don't know exactly where the problem is. Is it in the training? Maybe. Is it in the recruitment? Maybe. Is it in the perceived smugness of RCMP members when they do run afoul of the law and expect to be immune because of their standing? Maybe. Is it a mixture of all 3? Probably.
Obviously there are always going to be some problem officers and things will go awry. I just think that over the past few years there have been enough problems to warrant looking for the root cause. Until then I will not be able to trust the RCMP and neither will a great many Canadians.

Return to “Canada”