Debit cards to replace welfare cheques

steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Debit cards to replace welfare cheques

Post by steelrules »

I like the debit card Idea,
Saves money for Social Services, leaves a paper trail when and where the card is used, less embarrassment for those that are receiving assistance, "as in those who just need a month or two till they get back to work".
But mostly I like the fact that if "it's set up right"
the cards can't be used at the Liquor stores, video stores, fast food joints and No cash advances.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Wow, sure didn't take long for this thread to get derailed and turn to personal insults....

Anyway, I agree with Steelrules. I think it is a great idea as well. The people that are going to buy things they necessarily can't afford with their cheques are going to do it regardless with the cards. We have to put our trust in the system weeding out the people using and abusing the system. There are people out there that genuinely are in need that don't abuse the system. I imagine it wouldn't be a proud moment for someone who is really trying in life needing a bump up, let them keep some dignity and use a card... however I would assume they would be quite easily distinguished from regular bank cards - which might make it more uncomfortable that using cash.
Hmmmmm...
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fisher-Dude wrote: I'll give the win to RW, who hit a nerve exposing you for whom you are. You can't respond with an intelligent answer, so you keep up with classic deflection to others.

:dyinglaughing: A “win”? So you acknowledge that, like dickie, intelligent discourse was never a concern.
Ah well, I'm sure dickie will be most gratified. See ya little dude :smt039
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

steelrules wrote:I like the debit card Idea,
Saves money for Social Services, leaves a paper trail when and where the card is used, less embarrassment for those that are receiving assistance, "as in those who just need a month or two till they get back to work".
But mostly I like the fact that if "it's set up right"
the cards can't be used at the Liquor stores, video stores, fast food joints and No cash advances.

Setup right? Once again I'll ask what's to stop people from selling the card and pin for say $450 when the value is $500. Or the scenario I suggested earlier. In fact the records would help eliminate that kind of spending. The case worker has the recipients monthly statements and could see where the money is going and work with them as needed.

And again, the more we marginalize the More desperate people become and the worse their lives on the outside become. Ideological ideas generally always contradict what human nature has shown us time and time again. It's counterproductive to force the unenforceable.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

WhatThe wrote:Setup right? Once again I'll ask what's to stop people from selling the card and pin for say $450 when the value is $500. Or the scenario I suggested earlier. In fact the records would help eliminate that kind of spending. The case worker has the recipients monthly statements and could see where the money is going and work with them as needed.

People will always find a way of beating the system, and always will. Take our justice system, computer software, privacy acts, etc... this list can go on but ya get the idea.
It will never be a perfect world.
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Fisher-Dude wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Did you see an intelligently framed question there to answer little dude? Prior to his post there was some intelligent discourse occurring but you might have missed that in your enthusiasm to jump to the defence of your challenged friend. People tend to get what they give and dickie's a bit of a joke. Maybe you should go find your little buddy on the playground so he won't be so lonely and filled with angst. Come on back any time you feel your finally capable of carrying on an intelligent discussion.

Yeah yeah, aren't you the Big Boy. More of the same from you. I'll give the win to RW, who hit a nerve exposing you for whom you are. You can't respond with an intelligent answer, so you keep up with classic deflection to others.

And here I thought you were a psych guy who could recognize this...I guess there had to be someone who graduated at the bottom of his class.

Do you recognize you're doing the same thing? Richard never actually asked anything. Steven did, and you're not answering.
You're deflecting so much you're not even who he was talking to in the first place.
As for "the win" no one gets it. Richard came in doing nothing but attacking steven's character and steven fell for it and allowed himself to be dragged into an irrelevant side argument. Both are things everyone is guilty of (myself included) but they equal a loss on all accounts. Some people here were partially exposed for who they are, but it wasn't because of anything another said about or to them.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Thumbs up mr personality. It happens to me too. It's frustrating when facts are overlooked by rhetoric.

And once again, the realities of what people will do gets lost in ideological dogma.

Return to “Canada”