Hilarious CBC "infiltration" by Sun TV

Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Re: Hilarious CBC "infiltration" by Sun TV

Post by Bagotricks »

Mr. Personality wrote:CBC is a bloated dinosaur.

Just for fun!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... mpact.html

CBC/Radio-Canada contributed $3.7 billion to the Canadian economy in 2010, according to an economic impact study by Deloitte and Touche. The study, commissioned by the CBC and released Wednesday, attempts to measure the value of having a publicly funded broadcaster in Canada.CBC/Radio-Canada's annual parliamentary allocation is $1.1 billion.

Spend 1.1 Billion, and the economy gets 3.7 Billion.

What a bloated...oh wait.

Oh edit in :

In calculating CBC's overall impact, Deloitte considered the effect of a CBC that did not have a public mandate or a parliamentary allocation and was forced to rely on advertising and other commercial revenue streams. This kind of broadcaster would contribute much less to the economy because it would be forced to buy more foreign programming, would crowd out private broadcasters and would contribute less to creative communities across Canada, the study says.
Last edited by Bagotricks on Sep 1st, 2011, 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Omnitheo wrote:One day i'll even be a breeder, but not for the sake of breeding, so much as attempting to introduce more open-mindedness and critical thinking into the world.

Please, do some work in the mirror before breeding. It'll be tough to teach open mindedness when you don't even have that down yourself.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Bagotricks wrote:

Just for fun!

CBC/Radio-Canada contributed $3.7 billion to the Canadian economy in 2010, according to an economic impact study by Deloitte and Touche. The study, commissioned by the CBC and released Wednesday, attempts to measure the value of having a publicly funded broadcaster in Canada.CBC/Radio-Canada's annual parliamentary allocation is $1.1 billion.

and how much would the CBC generate for the economy if they were given nothing? Perhaps more, perhaps less, but even without our subsidies they would still be generating money for the economy. The logic you are using that the CBC couldn't exist and generate economic benefits for the Canadian economy without their $1.1 billion a year sucking at the government trough is flawed and just plain wrong. I seem to say that a lot when responding to your posts Bago.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
and how much would the CBC generate for the economy if they were given nothing? Perhaps more, perhaps less, but even without our subsidies they would still be generating money for the economy. The logic you are using that the CBC couldn't exist and generate economic benefits for the Canadian economy without their $1.1 billion a year sucking at the government trough is flawed and just plain wrong. I seem to say that a lot when responding to your posts Bago.

Check my edit in. Less.

Its not my study. Take it up with them.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bagotricks wrote:
Anyways, end of the line for me. It is boring at this point. Nobody wants to talk about how private broadcasting serve their McCain Superfries masters vs Public broadcasting and the benefits to society. I'm done.

are you really done? You keep saying this - then back you come with more stuff that just makes me shake my head and howl with laughter. Seriously though - if you had the guts to enable PM's a lot of the back and forth between us could go offline. It's too bad you don't or won't do it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Bagotricks wrote:
Anyways, end of the line for me. It is boring at this point. Nobody wants to talk about how private broadcasting serve their McCain Superfries masters vs Public broadcasting and the benefits to society. I'm done.

are you really done? You keep saying this - then back you come with more stuff that just makes me shake my head and howl with laughter.

I'm done talking about anything else except the CBC, SUNTV and the benefits/drawbacks of public broadcasting.

But you knew that - you were doing so well ;)
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Mr. Personality wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:One day i'll even be a breeder, but not for the sake of breeding, so much as attempting to introduce more open-mindedness and critical thinking into the world.

Please, do some work in the mirror before breeding. It'll be tough to teach open mindedness when you don't even have that down yourself.

you need a license to buy a gun, but they'll let anyone procreate. Sigh.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Bagotricks wrote:

Just for fun!

Oh edit in :

In calculating CBC's overall impact, Deloitte considered the effect of a CBC that did not have a public mandate or a parliamentary allocation and was forced to rely on advertising and other commercial revenue streams. This kind of broadcaster would contribute much less to the economy because it would be forced to buy more foreign programming, would crowd out private broadcasters and would contribute less to creative communities across Canada, the study says.

So, in essence, they still need that $1.1 Billion to operate.
My question is, that other $2.6Billion...does it really go to anything useful, or is it just used to pay the wages of people no one will watch?
Se, you're going by $3.7billion - $1.1Billion, but it doesn't quite work that way if that extra money is going back into the cost of running the network.
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Mr. Personality wrote:So, in essence, they still need that $1.1 Billion to operate.
My question is, that other $2.6Billion...does it really go to anything useful, or is it just used to pay the wages of people no one will watch?
Se, you're going by $3.7billion - $1.1Billion, but it doesn't quite work that way if that extra money is going back into the cost of running the network.

I guess you didn't even read the article, because it clearly answers to your questions.

CBC gets 1.1 Billion - that's how much it costs to run the CBC - wages and all. It *creates* 3.7 Billion in additional offshoot economic stimulus for the country. Minus the initial investment those are numbers even Warren Buffet would kill for.

I post a article showing that your "bloated dinosaur" CBC gets 1.1 Billion in tax dollars, re-invests it in Canada and creates 3 times stimulus as the original investment - giving Canadians jobs, buying Canadian content instead of Jersey Shore (that means everyone from Canadian caterers to Canadian actors get jobs!), promoting new technologies that smaller companies then pick up and use and creating little mini-economies in major CBC news hubs (CBC contracts out and creates alot of work for other industries) - and all you can say is basically "Yeah but their shows suck"

Of course let alone the social benefit to having a public broadcaster - Such as private broadcasters not telling the whole story about the middle east or airing any documentaries on the subject because this months big advertising account is Shell Oil - but then again we are just Americans that eat Poutine and listen to Ann Murray right?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Bagotricks wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:So, in essence, they still need that $1.1 Billion to operate.

I guess you didn't even read the article, because it clearly answers to your questions.

CBC gets 1.1 Billion - that's how much it costs to run the CBC - wages and all. It *creates* 3.7 Billion in additional offshoot economic stimulus for the country. Minus the initial investment those are numbers even Warren Buffet would kill for.

I post a article showing that your "bloated dinosaur" CBC gets 1.1 Billion in tax dollars, re-invests it in Canada and creates 3 times stimulus as the original investment - giving Canadians jobs, buying Canadian content instead of Jersey Shore (that means everyone from Canadian caterers to Canadian actors get jobs!), promoting new technologies that smaller companies then pick up and use and creating little mini-economies in major CBC news hubs (CBC contracts out and creates alot of work for other industries) - and all you can say is basically "Yeah but their shows suck"

Of course let alone the social benefit to having a public broadcaster - Such as private broadcasters not telling the whole story about the middle east or airing any documentaries on the subject because this months big advertising account is Shell Oil - but then again we are just Americans that eat Poutine and listen to Ann Murray right?

To put it another way, why Can CTV pump out the same quality news programming AND have decent programming without resorting to 24/7 Jersey Shore and Springer, as you claim would be necessary for the CBC?

Also, what were CTV's profits last year?
Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Post by Bagotricks »

Mr. Personality wrote:To put it another way, why Can CTV pump out the same quality news programming AND have decent programming without resorting to 24/7 Jersey Shore and Springer, as you claim would be necessary for the CBC?

Also, what were CTV's profits last year?

They don't have the "same quality news" whatsoever. As mentioned, the CBC can run news stories and programs without worrying about annoying the corporations that own and advertise on CTV.

CTV buys mostly American content. Not specifically Jersey Shore - but they buy whatever shows sell the most McCain Superfries.

Again this idea of "quality programming" is in the eye of the beholder. I'm sure if you went to the New York Art gallery , perhaps 50% of the art of the walls you wont like - does it make it bad art?

However in saying that, at least with CBC the focus is on content and quality before "sellability to advertisers". Millions and millions of people watch "Real Housewives" and "TMZ" - does that make it a good show because its popular?

Google can answer CTV profit questions, not me. I do enough leg work.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Bagotricks wrote:CTV buys mostly American content. Not specifically Jersey Shore...

Like Corner Gas, Hiccups, Dan For Mayor...Terrible American programming. CBC would never show non-Canadian programming, just good Canadian shows like Jeopardy, Wheel of Fortune and Coronation Street.

Bagotricks wrote:They don't have the "same quality news" whatsoever.

That's your opinion and, I imagine, quite biased one.

I'm not going to look it up, but suffice it to say CTV can put on quality programming that is also popular and still make a profit without sucking off the government teat.

Judging by the way you talk about CTV, I'd venture a guess that you're thinking of Global.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bagotricks wrote:
They don't have the "same quality news" whatsoever. .

truer words were never spoken - anyone who has had to suffer through watching Evan Solomon salivate all over an NDP stooge or George Strombo get in a lather over yet another social "activist" can attest -CBC's quality of news is abysmal. That being said, Rick Mercer is great - there's a guy that could make a show without needing the government teat, if he wanted to.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Bagotricks wrote:
Google can answer CTV profit questions, not me. I do enough leg work.

if by "leg work" you mean "make stuff up" then you are correct Bago - you definitely do more than your fair share of "leg work" all right. :dyinglaughing:
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

WTHWYT wrote:
Sun = Fox news north.

This is your opinion, and you are entitled to it. But then....

WTHWYT wrote:I've mentioned to Shaw they shove this channel were sun does not shine.

excuse me? So you don't like this network, so your solution is censorship? What? Hey - I don't like the CBC, in fact other than HNIC and Lang and O'Leary I think most of what they produce is unwatchable. But even I don't want them to "shove it where the sun don't shine". I am not even sold on cutting their funding, as I understand they do have some "value" to Canadians, though I wish they weren't so vociferously left-wing in their reporting and policy, and that's the part that burns me, they take ALL of our money, yet only speak for the fool-ridden segment of our society. But anyway - back to the point - censorship - not the answer here. The only answer, in a supposedly "free" society is - if you don't like it, don't watch it.

Censorship :200:

I don't watch it, trust me. I have a list of 26 channels I don't watch or even want, only because they part of the package.
Which is load of BS.
(Shaw Kelowna digital: 11-14-15-18-20-22-26-31-32-44-53-54-65-66-67-70-91-92-110-111-114-115-116-135-166-177

Were else do to you purchase stuff with crap you do not want or even asked for.

Return to “Canada”