Autistic boy, 9, handcuffed by police

fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Autistic boy, 9, handcuffed by police

Post by fvkasm2x »

Mr. Personality wrote:
Dusty5 wrote:Then you or your parents should have got you into college or university quickly rather than keep you in school because they were worried about you being with older kids, or that you wouldn't be able to adjust to college living.

No one is talking about college here. What the hell does that have to do with giving up on a piss-poor school system that held me back.

Dusty has watched too many Doogie Howser episodes. He thinks you could have just jumped into college when you were 10 years old, even though you never actually graduated high school at the time.
Dusty5

Post by Dusty5 »

WhatThe wrote:how about not spending half a million on useless art pieces here in Kelowna?

I don't know about you, but art's a part of life in this world, and it also creates jobs when it's done and when it happens. I suggest that you stop letting Sun TV, The National Pest, and the Sun newspapers (the Toronto Sun in particular) fill your head with balderdash about art wasting people's money-it's complete *bleep*, and it's not true whatsoever. Please tray and really learn about what the arts do contribute to Canadian society before putting finger to keyboard.

Also-and this is for the rest of you here-please try and learn about autism and what it does to a person, as well as the various types of the condition that exist; your ignorance is shocking in the extreme for people who consider themselves smart & well-informed. You wouldn't be demonizing people with senile dementia or Alzheimer's in so rude a fashion, so you shouldn't be saying that young children are to be treated like this, either.

No one is talking about college here. What the hell does that have to do with giving up on a piss-poor school system that held me back.

Mr. Personality (and I'm sorry to say this, but..) I'm not in the least bit interested in your 'oh, look at poor me' storyline. You had a problem because the system (and most likely, your parents) held you back; at least you didn't have a condition like Asperger's syndrome making your life a trial like this young boy's. You think that because your parents and the school board kept you back that you know about being in *bleep*? Sorry, but you don't; at least your brains would take you far no matter what setback happened. This boy is going to have this condition for the rest of his life, with (maybe) something of a learning disability attached, making things hard for him in the classroom unless an arrangement is made with the school board. At least, most likely he'll be getting that; I have the same condition, and I got jack bugger all at his age: a ton of wrong diagnoses, hundreds of aptitude tests, but no real tack on what was wrong with me (to top it off, I was diagnosed with my Asperger's syndrome at the age of 36-after three or four psycho-educational testing sessions starting from when I was 20 [and which should have been started when I was 15-16 years old or younger, not 20.]) Thanks to all of this crap, which is a whole lot worse than what you went through, I've been on social assistance since I was 18 (ODSP for 19 years now since the mid to late 90s.) I'm a burden on society (as most of you here perceive it) NOW because nobody funded proper programs to help me when I was a kid, or figured what was wrong with me in time to get help. That's what's happened to this boy, and will most likely continue because of attitudes towards helping people like me and him. Compared to that, what you went through is piddling at best.

Dusty has watched too many Doogie Howser episodes. He thinks you could have just jumped into college when you were 10 years old, even though you never actually graduated high school at the time.

Many young geniuses have done just that in real life (starting college/university at age 13-14) because they were unusually gifted-it's not something that only happens on Doogie Howser, Kim Possible, or Head of the Class. For that matter, most of the world's children work in factories and don't attend school, or have had to leave school early to find work in history and not get an education; you wouldn't have been any different. What you needed was a gifted class (as on Head of the Class), or at least your parents should have had the sense to let you skip a couple of grades and be in high school. But like I said, what happened to you (Mr. Personality) pales by comparison to what happened to me, what will most likely happen to this young boy, and what happens to kids with any learning disability generally.

And these cuts, as one of the other poster has mentioned, only help people to be on social assistance later on. Which leas back to the same cycle that you hate of people being on social assistance. All told, the cops have no right treating this boy the way they did, nor did the people at this center. Nor do the cops have any right using him (and other disabled people) as punching bags.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Dusty5 wrote:
Mr. Personality (and I'm sorry to say this, but..) I'm not in the least bit interested in your 'oh, look at poor me' storyline. You had a problem because the system (and most likely, your parents) held you back; at least you didn't have a condition like Asperger's syndrome making your life a trial like this young boy's. You think that because your parents and the school board kept you back that you know about being in *bleep*? Sorry, but you don't; at least your brains would take you far no matter what setback happened. This boy is going to have this condition for the rest of his life, with (maybe) something of a learning disability attached, making things hard for him in the classroom unless an arrangement is made with the school board. At least, most likely he'll be getting that; I have the same condition, and I got jack bugger all at his age: a ton of wrong diagnoses, hundreds of aptitude tests, but no real tack on what was wrong with me (to top it off, I was diagnosed with my Asperger's syndrome at the age of 36-after three or four psycho-educational testing sessions starting from when I was 20 [and which should have been ........... [snip]

That's funny. :coffeecanuck: You are not in the least bit interested in Mr Personality's "oh, look at poor me' storyline" and then carry on with your own bleeding all over the monitor. Is that somehow different? Your 'oh, look at poor me' storyline is more important than his? It is somehow different because it is your ailment or because it is related to the OP topic but someone who is gifted can just go suck eggs?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Dusty5 wrote:

Mr. Personality (and I'm sorry to say this, but..) I'm not in the least bit interested in your 'oh, look at poor me' storyline. You had a problem because the system (and most likely, your parents) held you back; at least you didn't have a condition like Asperger's syndrome making your life a trial like this young boy's. You think that because your parents and the school board kept you back that you know about being in *bleep*?

It's very obvious you have no idea what I'm saying in that post.
My point was that depending solely on the public school system for anything is naive and self-destructive. This is especially true, I imagine, with a child such as this. I apologize if I didn't make that clear. I really don't see how you can take offense to it at all. There is no "poor me" to it at all* it was an example from my personal experience of how the school system fails. Nothing more.
Please don't ever mention my parents again. They've been nothing but supportive of me every day I've been alive.

* - Why is it that every time you tell a story from your own life some jackwagon comes up after you and accuses you of whining?
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I removed two inappropriate posts but then noticed that the thread is pretty much just going south anyway. If you guys want to discuss this issue in a reasonably civilized manner, I'll reopen the thread. Otherwise, forget it.

Return to “Canada”