"We don't need any grounds. We're the United States."

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Re: "We don't need any grounds. We're the United States."

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I do agree with you Merry that things at the border definitely are tenser than in the past. I definitely detect that the guards are deliberately asking questions now designed to provoke responses rather than just the standard "Where are you going, where are you staying" variety, which is kind of baffling given how much dough Canadians spend in the US on a daily basis for tourism - why give us an attitude.

Case in point - crossed last year at Abbotsford (Sumas) on a trip to Seattle - the US border guard says "So why aren't you working today - it's a Thursday" which I found a bit odd of a question - but designed to get me to explain whether I had a job or not, I guess. It was just the way it was said too - with a bit of snide in the tone - that threw me off. But rather than get all weird and yell at the guy, I just responded "taking a holiday from work" and that was it - I was through the border. No big deal, just have to accept that you'll get questions designed to push your buttons.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

The Green Barbarian wrote:No big deal, just have to accept that you'll get questions designed to push your buttons.

That doesn't make it right, or even effective.
If they've resorted to simply pushing people's buttons and aggravating people with veiled insults and threats, they've lost control and are merely to keep the appearance of control.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Merry wrote:However, that said, it IS ridiculous for a border guard who has just been told the people are going to a mall to then ask them WHICH store they're going to visit. I think this particular border guard was looking to create some kind of confrontation.

No, it's actually a very common and simple tactic used to weed out liars. Most people know what mall/which stores they're going to and will pop a few names at the guard without thinking too much. If somebody starts saying "ohh, I don't know" or "why do I have to tell you?" that is a red flag.

For my own part, I've heard so many stories about unfriendly, harrassing border guards that I've made a resolution to spend my money anywhere EXCEPT in the good old US of A.

Online shopping is nice too.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Out of the 2 the Canadian is biggest idiot here, reason is he's asking for permission to enter another country. So its important
to do your homework just incase your asked, as well drop the a** H attitude until your passed border guards hear & eyes.

Homework for this name of the mall (maybe even address) and 2 or 3 stores of interest, pretty damn simple.

Just be yourself, less the attitude.

Maybe in the husband defence he really did not want to go shopping. Then he's doing the right thing. :dyinglaughing:
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

If he had light-heartedly said "Probably all of them. My wife can't say no to a good deal" the guy probably would have smiled and said have a good time.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Merry wrote:The Canadian Guy was wrong to lose his temper the way he did, because its true you can never win an argument with a border guard. However, that said, it IS ridiculous for a border guard who has just been told the people are going to a mall to then ask them WHICH store they're going to visit. I think this particular border guard was looking to create some kind of confrontation. Maybe he doesn't like Canadians, I don't know, but I do know that I've heard several of my friends who frequently cross the border say they also have run into unusually belligerant border guards recently.

One would think that, given the current state of the US economy, that they would welcome Canadian tourists who want to spend their money in the US. But while the US Federal and State govenments may feel that way, it would appear there are some border guards who have some sort of a chip on their shoulder regarding Canadians.

He may very well been looking for some type of reaction to see if something of concern would be revealed. This is a pretty common tactic used to see if people are hiding something. We use it ourself in our work. In spite of the state of the US economy, I suspect these border guards have even more significant fears that they worry about when filtering people through.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Mr. Personality wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:No big deal, just have to accept that you'll get questions designed to push your buttons.

That doesn't make it right, or even effective. If they've resorted to simply pushing people's buttons and aggravating people with veiled insults and threats, they've lost control and are merely to keep the appearance of control.

Actually, it is a very effective strategy and variations of the startegy are used in numerous diverese enforcement environments (from very authorative to less authorative venues) with great success. Rarely is control lost.

Return to “Canada”