Turn down the ads

Roadster
Time waster at work

Turn down the ads

Post by Roadster »

Turn down loud ads
by The Canadian Press - Story: 64588
Sep 13, 2011 / 11:59 am

Canada's broadcasters have a year to turn down the volume on their TV ads.

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission has ruled that commercials are indeed annoyingly loud, and will give broadcasters until next September to do something about it.

They got help in the verdict from over 7,000 Canadians who responded with an resounding "yes" to the question it posed in February of whether they thought ads were too loud.

"The loud commercials drive me crazy, they hurt my ears and make me want to leave the room," wrote one woman from Uxbridge, Ont.

The number of submissions was unusually numerous for a CRTC notice of comment, and 10 times higher than the complaints it received the previous three years combined.

"Broadcasters have allowed ear-splitting ads to disturb viewers and have left us little choice but to set out clear rules that will put an end to excessively loud ads," the CRTC chairman, Konrad von Finckenstein, said in a release on Tuesday.

"The technology exists, let's use it."

The commission says 2009's international standard for measuring and controlling television signals will apply to minimize fluctuations in loudness between programming and commercials.

Under the standard, broadcasters will have to ensure that both programs and ads are transmitted at the same volume.

There were also indications Canadian broadcasters were aware of the problem.

Rogers has written to the CRTC saying it is trying to address the problem proactively in advance of regulations, as did the CBC.

Broadcasters were not immediately available for reaction to the CRTC announcement.

Bout freakin time!
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Re: TURN DOWN THE ADS

Post by AllthatFunk »

Yay..no kidding! Drives me insane I usually change the channel or mute the darn thing. Ads have actually driven me away from TV.
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

A couple years ago I was going to invent a device that would automatically turn the volume off when a certain threshold was exceeded, but then I stopped watching TV so I lost interest.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Agreed, it is absolutely ridiculous. I.m amazed even the advertisers didn't complain. Didn't they realize it was turning people off listening to their adds.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

My equipment at home normalizes between commercials and TV content volume. But in this hotel its very noticeable , its really unbelievable how loud they are compared to the programming .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Glacier wrote:A couple years ago I was going to invent a device that would automatically turn the volume off when a certain threshold was exceeded, but then I stopped watching TV so I lost interest.

Funny I thought the same thing many years ago but I wouldn't have had the time so instead I would call CRTC and tell them "Yer so busy taking stuff away from us to watch,,, why dontcha work on this commercial yelling thing?"

Anyone remember falling asleep during a movie and waking up to Billie Mayes yelling at you to buy some of his crap? I felt bad when he got hit in the head by a piece of luggage and died but maybe he shoulda bin yelling at people to buy some kinda super soft overhead luggage. Sorry Billie, I just dont miss the yelling. RIP.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

I actually thought this was already a law.
Guess I was wrong.
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

Glacier wrote:A couple years ago I was going to invent a device that would automatically turn the volume off when a certain threshold was exceeded, but then I stopped watching TV so I lost interest.

I would have bought one!
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ljjumbles wrote:

I would have bought one!
kidding right? mute button doesn't work, nor the "OFF" button or volume button? really kidding I hope....
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

Fancy wrote:
Ljjumbles wrote:

I would have bought one!
kidding right? mute button doesn't work, nor the "OFF" button or volume button? really kidding I hope....

Some people don't want to hold the remote through every show.
Or, as in my case, once the ad starts (and I mean starts, 1 second in) my baby daughter is already crying because it woke her up from her nap in the next room.
I'm just trying to watch some sports highlights.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Roadster wrote: Anyone remember falling asleep during a movie and waking up to Billie Mayes yelling at you to buy some of his crap?

I remember falling asleep during a movie but was glad when I was woken up for the "Victoria's Secret" commercial :D
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

In the rare case that there is something that I want to watch besides live sports, my PVR has an app for that. Record it, then FF through the bloody ads.
Incidentally, a UK inventor did invent and market a set-top box about 10-12 years ago that would automatically switch channels to a user defined alternative channel when adverts started, then skipped back when they were over. I believe BSkyB(or a broadcasters consortium) sued him and actually won the case. The set-top boxes were withdrawn from the market. Corporate determination wins the day, again!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Born_again wrote: Corporate determination wins the day, again!

Well, in fairness they probably had a case as their advertising is likely paying for a disproportionately large amount of the costs of producing, distributing and delivering the media product. Could you imagine how high our cable or satellite bills would have to be if all our programming was commercial free. On a positive note, I recognize and appreciate the recognition of some advertisers that producing quality commercials (and there are some) make the experience of watching commercials more palatable, even enjoyable, and as a result, are likely more successful at their purpose.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Sep 13th, 2011, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Mr. Personality wrote:
Fancy wrote:
Ljjumbles wrote:

I would have bought one!

Some people don't want to hold the remote through every show.
Or, as in my case, once the ad starts (and I mean starts, 1 second in) my baby daughter is already crying because it woke her up from her nap in the next room.
I'm just trying to watch some sports highlights.

Woke her up from a nap? Can't imagine that - not at all. Sorry you had to deal with that. We worked with those incidents.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Really, I mean is anyone really serious about the ad sound levels?
I think some people have to step away from their TV once in a while!!
What is so important to listen to other than your own family?

Return to “Canada”