Conrad Black - Renounced Canadian Citizenship

Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Conrad Black - Renounced Canadian Citizenship

Post by Treblehook »

Wondering what most think of the news coverage of late and interviews with the infamous Conrad Black, where he seems to be saying that he would like to come back to Canada after he gets released from prison in Florida. I find it difficult to understand why this criminal is treated with [apparent] deference by the media. Even his criminal conviction and time spent in the US prison system doesn't seem to have diminished any of his arrogance. From my point of view, he has more nerve than a toothache thinking that he ought to be able to return to Canada to live in a home he owns in the Toronto area. I mean, he is a citizen of some other country who has a conviction or convictions for serious criminal offences... so why the hell should he be permitted entry into this country any more than some other common criminal from elsewhere? If there ever was an appropriate case for saying: "You made your bed, so now lie in it."
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Conrad Black - Renounced Canadian Citizenship

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree. He dumped his Canadian citizenship so he could be a "lord" or something in England.

I sure wouldn't entertain having the criminal back in this country. If he was anybody else who isn't rich and famous, he'd be out on his ear!

We don't need any more crooks in Canada.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

He renounced his citizenship, so he is no longer a citizen of Canada. He should have to apply via immigration like anyone else.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

The Americans can keep him & and wife.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

grammafreddy wrote:I sure wouldn't entertain having the criminal back in this country. If he was anybody else who isn't rich and famous, he'd be out on his ear!

I think we should award him the Order of BC.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

steven lloyd wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:I sure wouldn't entertain having the criminal back in this country. If he was anybody else who isn't rich and famous, he'd be out on his ear!

I think we should award him the Order of BC.

Bite your typing fingers.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

It's true that this man, in a moment of pique when he felt Chretien was giving him a hard time about being offered a peership, foolishly renounced his Canadian Citizenship. However, the fact is that he's a Canadian by birth, and I think we should be willing to accept an apology and give him a second chance.

Even though he did something wrong, he will have repaid his debt to society by the time he gets out of jail, and I think he should be allowed to live out his remaining years in the land of his birth. We all make mistakes, but we shouldn't be made to pay for them "ad infinitum". Lets give the man a break!
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

He still needs to enter the country via the proper channels. His wife is Canadian, is she not? I think Canada was unwilling to have him return to Canada while he had an unsettled court matter in the USA or for him to serve out his sentence in a Canadian prison. Unfortunately, regardless of why he renounced his citizenship, he is not entitled to be treated as a Canadian under law.
I would have no problem with him entering the country on a vistor visa and applying for residency. Considering all the places he has homes, he wouldn't likely want to remain in Canada for more than a few months at a time anyway.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Piecemaker wrote:He still needs to enter the country via the proper channels. His wife is Canadian, is she not?

No, she was born in Watford, Hertfordshire, England.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Merry wrote: Lets give the man a break!

Sure, which arm do you want! :127:

I am proud of my Canadian citizenship and would not give it up for anything. I could have when I lived in the US but did not wish to do that. He renounced his and for whatever the reason has to live with that. But he doesn't appear to be very honourable does he.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

oneh2obabe wrote:
Piecemaker wrote:He still needs to enter the country via the proper channels. His wife is Canadian, is she not?

No, she was born in Watford, Hertfordshire, England.

For some reason that makes me feel better! LOL (I've never agreed with many of her political and social views in her columns.
She's intelligent and beautiful, but doesn't have much consideration for the downtrodden...or even the middle class.)

Return to “Canada”