Some interesting comparisons between countries

NAB
Buddha of the Board

Some interesting comparisons between countries

Post by NAB »

"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Some interesting comparisons between countries

Post by steven lloyd »

That’s a very interesting table Nabs. I’m interested to find out more about Harper’s so-called “get tough on crime” initiatives. Maybe we can soon compete with the United States for being among the worst of the worst when it comes to prison population per 100,000 citizens. Can you say "new black hole in social spending" ?

* gotta love fiscal conservatism :127:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Life in Singapore looks lovely all of a sudden.

Except for income inequality, but that never bothered me...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

steven lloyd wrote:That’s a very interesting table Nabs. I’m interested to find out more about Harper’s so-called “get tough on crime” initiatives. Maybe we can soon compete with the United States for being among the worst of the worst when it comes to prison population per 100,000 citizens. Can you say "new black hole in social spending" ?

Not very fair, Steven. At least the U.S. can say it's the best at something.

I'm interested to know why the land of the free rated lower for 'level of democracy' than us Timmie's lovers up here.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:That’s a very interesting table Nabs. I’m interested to find out more about Harper’s so-called “get tough on crime” initiatives. Maybe we can soon compete with the United States for being among the worst of the worst when it comes to prison population per 100,000 citizens. Can you say "new black hole in social spending" ?

Seems obvious to me Steven that when you compare Canada's prison population per 100,000 against the USA, we would REALLY have to get tough on crime to match them.
\
Edit: Or even the UK or Israel or Singapore for that matter.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Sep 19th, 2011, 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

And we'll have to overtake such brutal police states on the way to the top as New Zealand and Luxembourg.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Hell, to get like the USA we would have to add something like 600 prisoners per 100,000 to the rosters Steven, or around 200,000 new prisoners - while what we are talking about in our get tough on crime initiative is probably no more than 4 or 5 thousand tops. Talk about making mountains out of molehills LOL.

Even Australia will probably still stay ahead of us. Besides, we/ve been far too slack in that department for far too long IMO.

Nab
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I find it hard to believe that with our slack, push everyone through school system, that our math and science scores were higher than most European countries.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Well, we know the Greeks can't add.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

Nebula wrote:Well, we know the Greeks can't add.

:coffeecanuck:

... and the Israelis suck at math & science.
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote:

Seems obvious to me Steven that when you compare Canada's prison population per 100,000 against the USA, we would REALLY have to get tough on crime to match them. Nab

Whew, well that is a relief. Damn the contraindications and predicted negative repercussions then. Let’s start introducing some new ineffective and counterproductive laws and start throwing some of those gobs of tax money around everywhere.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

If you take away the ridiculous colour scheme everything is where you would expect it to be. The colours just add a visual shock, but really none of this is suprising.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

steven lloyd wrote:
NAB wrote:

Seems obvious to me Steven that when you compare Canada's prison population per 100,000 against the USA, we would REALLY have to get tough on crime to match them. Nab

Whew, well that is a relief. Damn the contraindications and predicted negative repercussions then. Let’s start introducing some new ineffective and counterproductive laws and start throwing some of those gobs of tax money around everywhere.

Well, those laws, and amendments to current laws, have started to be rolled out this morning, so hopefully you are paying attention to the detail. Once passed into legislation we will see I guess whether those long preached "contraindications and predicted negative repercussions" actually hold up in reality. nPersonally speaking, I have been looking forward to us having a government who would "get tough on crime" for years now. Unfortunately, what I am hearing so far is no where near that overall concept. The victims of crime deserve far better.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Sep 20th, 2011, 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I"m somewhat surprised that the U.S. outperforms Norway in Science... As for the income inequality, there should be a category subset because the amount of money the poorest have is probably more important than income inequality.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

UnknownResident wrote:If you take away the ridiculous colour scheme everything is where you would expect it to be. The colours just add a visual shock, but really none of this is suprising.

Yes, I'm not keen on the colour scheme as far as the statistical data goes.

For the maths & science bit, the source is here.

For the democracy stuff, the source is here.

That was as far as my interest went.

Return to “Canada”