16 scientists to try to figure out how...

Nom_de_Plume
Guru

16 scientists to try to figure out how...

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/09/23/antibiotic-usee-in-animals.html

The experiments on alternative treatments are revealed in a letter signed by Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, and sent to members of the public who wrote letters of concern to the federal government after viewing a Marketplace episode about the overuse of antibiotics in chickens.

In that episode, Marketplace tested 100 samples of chicken from major grocery stores across Canada and found widespread contamination with superbugs — bacteria resistant to antibiotics crucial to human health.

This isn't rocket science ... 16 scientists??? how much is that going to cost??
One woman here in Kelowna can tell you how to cut down on antibiotic use, send the money to me!!!!
Stop over crowding, stop feeding them things they're not able to digest and stop growing these animals in an unnatural way.
Easy! Done!
I've never had to feed any of my animals medicated feed or give them antibiotics. My animals are healthy, happy and eat what they want and have plenty of room to move around and behave in a natural way.
Oh!!! this kinda thing can make me so frustrated.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Oxl3y
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: 16 scientists to try to figure out how...

Post by Oxl3y »

Nom_de_Plume wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/09/23/antibiotic-usee-in-animals.html

The experiments on alternative treatments are revealed in a letter signed by Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz, and sent to members of the public who wrote letters of concern to the federal government after viewing a Marketplace episode about the overuse of antibiotics in chickens.

In that episode, Marketplace tested 100 samples of chicken from major grocery stores across Canada and found widespread contamination with superbugs — bacteria resistant to antibiotics crucial to human health.

This isn't rocket science ... 16 scientists??? how much is that going to cost??
One woman here in Kelowna can tell you how to cut down on antibiotic use, send the money to me!!!!
Stop over crowding, stop feeding them things they're not able to digest and stop growing these animals in an unnatural way.
Easy! Done!
I've never had to feed any of my animals medicated feed or give them antibiotics. My animals are healthy, happy and eat what they want and have plenty of room to move around and behave in a natural way.
Oh!!! this kinda thing can make me so frustrated.

Do you think all of the scientists are together?? Its a 100 samples from different grocery stores all over canada and I assure you its cheaper to have scientists in different places than to fly one guy around to the different cities...
[img] obviously too awesome to be displayed
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

It's all a guise to make us feel like our government is looking out for us, meanwhile....
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

....meanwhile our health suffers so as to allow pharmaceutical suppliers to rake in the bucks. They get you coming and going. Sell antibiotics to meat producers and be a major source of 'superbug', then sell us even more antibiotics to try and fight off the 'superbug'.
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

I think issues like this make it important to actually cook chicken instead of everyone eating raw these days, or are they heat and flame resistant as well?
BriTer
Guru

Post by BriTer »

Veovis wrote:I think issues like this make it important to actually cook chicken instead of everyone eating raw these days, or are they heat and flame resistant as well?

I don't know anyone that eats raw chicken, or if the superbug is destroyed by cooking. You don't have to eat it to be infected...
"Studies have documented that when humans come into contact with those bacteria, they can also become resistant to antibiotics."
"Let there be smoke." And there was smoke. And it was gooooooood.
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

Veovis wrote:I think issues like this make it important to actually cook chicken instead of everyone eating raw these days, or are they heat and flame resistant as well?

Fully cooking the meat will kill the normal bacteria, I'm assuming it will also kill the super-antibiotic resistant bacteria, but will it remove the antibiotics themselves? Will eating antibiotic riddled meat screw with our immune system?
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

food.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray

Return to “Canada”