Aging Prison Population

Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Aging Prison Population

Post by Piecemaker »

So...the boomer prisioners are becoming an expensive issue. Between the aging prison population and "getting tough on crime", what changes will Canada's correctional system need to make and what will be the cost?

Quote from Castanet:
"Aging prison population challenges
by The Canadian Press - Story: 66761
Nov 1, 2011 / 10:08 am

The federal prison ombudsman warns that Canada's inmates are growing old in institutions ill-equipped to meet their changing needs.

Nearly one in five inmates is 50 or older, a reflection of an aging society and the fact more prisoners are entering custody later in their adult life than ever before.

The population of greying offenders has increased by 50 per cent over the past decade, says correctional investigator Howard Sapers.

He told a news conference Tuesday the numbers are much harder to ignore than in the past.

Penitentiaries were not designed to assist prisoners with physical disabilities or those in need of palliative care. Some older inmates are more prone to bullied, Sapers added.

"As prisons become more crowded, there are significant concerns associated with mixing a vulnerable older inmate with younger, more aggressive individuals."

Sapers recently met with a group of aging offenders at a medium-security institution in Ontario.

"They told me that they live in fear for their physical safety. Intimidation and muscling are pervasive concerns amongst older offenders. I heard instances of physically challenged offenders being bullied to the top bunk by cellmates," he said.

Others reported having to give up meals or their prescription medications. "Few of these concerns are ever reported to staff."

Sapers said while the Correctional Service of Canada does not tolerate such behaviour, employees are not always there to see incidents, and many older prisoners simply don't want to rock the boat.

"It's particularly difficult if you're already feeling vulnerable."

Sapers underscored the fact prisons are already operating at above capacity and will only become more crowded, as new federal laws imposing stiffer sentences "will result in more people spending longer in custody."

The federal government plans to spend $2 billion over five years to add 2,700 beds to men's and women's prisons to accommodate the prisoner influx and replace rusting facilities. But Sapers anticipates more crowding in the short term.

"It'll take years for those cells to come onstream."

Sapers' office has asked the Correctional Service to think about building features such as wheelchair ramps, wide aisles and more accessible bathrooms into the new prison ranges.

But the prison service may eventually have to look at creating specialized geriatric units, he added."

Your thoughts...comments.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Aging Prison Population

Post by Rwede »

Maybe people should obey the law. Problem solved.

I have zero sympathy for scumbags in prison. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Pops.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

RichardWede wrote:Maybe people should obey the law. Problem solved.

I have zero sympathy for scumbags in prison. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time, Pops.

I'm with you, what is the problem here??? Possibly do like Texas!! That solves alot of repeat offenders and agining prisoners too!!
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

When I hear about some of the awful violence perpetrated by today's youth, and I think about that being transported into the prison system and applied to some of the older prisoners, I get a chill up my spine.

Violent people have always been in our midst, but these days some of our young people seem to be taking violence to new levels. The causes of this heightened violence have been discussed to death, with no-one being able to give a definitive answer, although de-sensitization due to ever increasing TV, movie and video game violence is often cited as the cause. But regardless of the actual cause, no-one seems to dispute that our society is permeated with ever more violent individuals, particularly among the young.

Not all older inmates are murderers, or violent criminals, and they are already being punished for their crimes. They do not deserve to have to live out their sentences in fear of young punks who ARE violent. If segregating prison populations to protect people from violent bullying is the only way to prevent this type of behaviour, then why not do it?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

It's not just physical safety, which is important, but also increased health costs. Trips to medical professionals, hospitals and the dispensing of medication, medical supplies like wheelchairs...and so on.
And in Canada, prisoners are not "open season" to beat, bully and abuse.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.

Return to “Canada”