Jury duty: Unfair burden or civic obligation?

Roadster
Time waster at work

Re: Jury duty: Unfair burden or civic obligation?

Post by Roadster »

I want to do a bunch of them when I am fully retired, I can donate my time to something I like and they can let me go during jury duty and no one gets hurt,,, I'll do any length of time they need. I'd love to do jury duty, I just wouldn't if it meant making less then welfare pays to those not working at all and I had a huge mortgage to pay and kids to feed.
I know, life is not always fair but that is cruel.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What's the appeal of sitting on a jury? Even if retired? It's akin to writing down the daily temperature - boring, pointless, and anybody with a IQ in single digits can do it, so why waste your time?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Amarow121
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Amarow121 »

Captain Awesome wrote:What's the appeal of sitting on a jury? Even if retired? It's akin to writing down the daily temperature - boring, pointless, and anybody with a IQ in single digits can do it, so why waste your time?

I figured it would be an interesting insight into our legal system.

And maybe I'd try new food if the lunches were provided.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Amarow121 wrote:I figured it would be an interesting insight into our legal system.

And maybe I'd try new food if the lunches were provided.

Probably similar to airplane food...
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

Captain Awesome wrote:What's the appeal of sitting on a jury? Even if retired? It's akin to writing down the daily temperature - boring, pointless, and anybody with a IQ in single digits can do it, so why waste your time?

These people are called judges.. and the make well over 300,000$ per year! :dyinglaughing:
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
Imreal
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Imreal »

Unfair burden or civic obligation?

Both.

A lot of people died so that we could have a (relatively) fair judicial system. Burden, yes. Obligation, yes.
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

It's not about how anybody with an IQ can do it, it's about doing our duty to help the justice system, what I am getting at is I would love to do it several times over while being retired while those who need to work to pay their bills and feed their kids shouldn't have to. I think you are sadly missing the point. There needs to be a better system where we can use those who can without going under. You claim you have a business,,, if so then you get my drift more then you admit.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Canada”