Kids trash motel rooms >>>

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Kids trash motel rooms >>>

Post by grammafreddy »

UnknownResident wrote:
Do you think kids today generally do more or less stupid things (Like this example) then when you were a youngster?

I think today's kids do more stupid things and things that are more dangerous to themselves and to others than they used to. I think they are allowed to get away with more than they used to, as well. In the 60's and 70's there was a huge shift in attitudes and those kids from that era are now adults with kids and grandkids of their own - and that attitude has carried over into modern society. It's not entirely a good thing, IMO.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

grammafreddy wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:
Do you think kids today generally do more or less stupid things (Like this example) then when you were a youngster?

I think today's kids do more stupid things and things that are more dangerous to themselves and to others than they used to. I think they are allowed to get away with more than they used to, as well. In the 60's and 70's there was a huge shift in attitudes and those kids from that era are now adults with kids and grandkids of their own - and that attitude has carried over into modern society. It's not entirely a good thing, IMO.

I see, so then would you say kids today are just as reckless or more reckless than kids, 30 or 40 years ago?
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

I don't if it's more reckless and just as, or maybe even just as but in a different way.
This signature may be a forgery.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Perhaps the "more", "less", "just as" depends on the kind of kid the person expressing the opinion is/was rather than the state of society in any given period of time.

I wasn't a kid/teen that broke the law or challenged it. I had part time jobs and did community volunteer work at a young age. I didn't get the greatest grades in all subjects in school but I did excel in many of them. I didn't do drugs although many of my friends did. I just didn't attend the same events or occasions where drugs and booze was the norm.

However, if those friends who did do those things and broke the law were posting here, they would see those things as normal and acceptable - because that fits with their world. It doesn't (and didn't) with mine.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i grew up in a small town and what one kid did every other kid new about. there is no way in heck even the rottenest kid i knew would do something like this. even out of town. but back then we paid for any wrong doing.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

I cannot believe the police would not do anything, maybe if the owner had got a baseball bat, to knock some sense into those kids the cops would have got involved.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

And some people are wondering why young people get bad rep from landlords.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
dandynick5
Guru

Post by dandynick5 »

Sure because assault is a criminal matter, but 100 000 damage is only a civil matter. A good thing that nobody got hurt while they were ripping a ceiling down, or the motel owner would really be on the hook!
This signature may be a forgery.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

I still don't understand why the police could not stop someone from damaging private property, and even in the criminal court they can make the criminal pay damages.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

GenesisGT wrote:I still don't understand why the police could not stop someone from damaging private property, and even in the criminal court they can make the criminal pay damages.

i don't understand it either. that says to me that if i went to someones home, invited, and decided to tear the place up the cops couldn't do anything about it? isn't that the same thing?

by the way, not blaming the police here if that is how the law is written. their hands are tied.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

UnknownResident wrote:

More. But it's not necessarily a reflection on the kids as it is on the parenting and/or social norms.

If I were to do that as a teenager 15 years ago, my dad would have beat my *bleep* with a belt and I'd be working every day to pay off what I owed the motel.

These parents will probably not do either of these things.
UnknownResident
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by UnknownResident »

fvkasm2x wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:

More. But it's not necessarily a reflection on the kids as it is on the parenting and/or social norms.

If I were to do that as a teenager 15 years ago, my dad would have beat my *bleep* with a belt and I'd be working every day to pay off what I owed the motel.

These parents will probably not do either of these things.

Now that beating your kids isn't as acceptable as it was, is that a good thing? Is that really the only way to discipline your children effectively?
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

ferri wrote:
    GenesisGT wrote:I still don't understand why the police could not stop someone from damaging private property, and even in the criminal court they can make the criminal pay damages.

i don't understand it either. that says to me that if i went to someones home, invited, and decided to tear the place up the cops couldn't do anything about it? isn't that the same thing?

by the way, not blaming the police here if that is how the law is written. their hands are tied.
What if you went to the police station and did a lot of damage. Would the police have to sue you? Or is wilful damage of public property a crime while wilful damage of private property is a civil matter? This one has me stumped. But if the police are right about the law then that old saying about the law being an *bleep* is sure true in this case.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

UnknownResident wrote:Is that really the only way to discipline your children effectively?

There are probably others that work, but parents stopped using the one that was something effective and haven't started doing anything else!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
UnknownResident wrote:Is that really the only way to discipline your children effectively?

There are probably others that work, but parents stopped using the one that was something effective and haven't started doing anything else!

Can't damage their precious psyches, now can we? We pat their little heads and tell them how wonderful their rotten behaviour is instead.

Return to “Canada”