Severely injured Mountie

grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Severely injured Mountie

Post by grumpydigger »

Severely injured Mountie claims colleagues ‘conspired to shock’ with explosive doll

An RCMP officer has filed a lawsuit against two fellow officers in the bomb squad unit, the RCMP and the province of B.C. after a mechanical doll he kept at his desk was rigged to explode, which disfigured him to the point of requiring hand surgery and hearing aids in both ears.

Cpl. Tyrone Hempston suffered “severe injuries” after returning from Christmas holidays to his desk at the Explosive Disposal Unit in Delta on Jan. 4, 2010, where he noticed someone had tampered with his “Dirty Bertie” mechanical doll.

“He sat down and picked up the doll, held it in both hands close to his lap, then switched it on and it exploded in his hands,” according to the writ filed in Vancouver Supreme Court of B.C.

The writ claims unspecified damages for physical injuries and nerve damage to his hands that have required “numerous surgeries,” hearing loss and tinnitus in both ears, chronic post-traumatic stress disorder, sleeping and anxiety disorders and “nervous shock, anguish and loss of faith in his colleagues.”

Hempston’s lawsuit alleges Cpl. Nigel Blake and Const. Martin Simpson “conspired to shock” him by placing a “high explosive” SD-100 detonator that had been confiscated from a U.S. film company trying to bring them into Canada and turned over to the EDU for disposal.

“Both the defendants Blake and Simpson knew or ought to have known . . . a SD-100 . . . (is) a dangerous explosive that should not be used for recreation and that their actions were in violation of the unit’s zero horseplay policy,” the writ stated.

It alleged they showed “reckless disregard for the probability that the explosive in the doll would detonate in the plaintiff’s hand.”

Hempston, 44, was off work for several months over the past two years and and continues therapy for PTSD, taking anti-depressants and massage and physiotherapy and may require further surgery and can no longer type or write for long, the writ said.

Hempston would have been eligible for full retirement in September 2011. He is also suing for lost past and future wages.

None of the allegations have been proved in court and the defendants have three weeks after being served to file a response.

The lawsuit includes the federal attorney general, which is responsible for the RCMP, and the provincial solicitor general under which the RCMP is contracted to the province.

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Severel ... z1i87A9ksc
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Re: Severely injured Mountie

Post by grumpydigger »

Here is your taxpayer's money in action... after all they got their 20 year contract :dyinglaughing:

I wonder which Internet course these guys will have to take To fix this screwup :eyeballspin:
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

These guys are the whack jobs that get paid for protecting the public. Yeesh.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

This happened 2 years ago.

So they managed to keep this hidden until they got their 20 year contract :eyeballspin:

The one bad apple gang strikes again :dyinglaughing:
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

shoo wrote:These guys are the whack jobs that get paid for protecting the public. Yeesh.

What they did appears to have been wrong.....

But remember, these are the guys who have to deal with all the things in the province that go boom. They need to be a little wacky to do that job.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

KL3-Something wrote:
shoo wrote:These guys are the whack jobs that get paid for protecting the public. Yeesh.

But remember, these are the guys who have to deal with all the things in the province that go boom. They need to be a little wacky to do that job.

Or professional.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

What they did appears to have been wrong..... :dyinglaughing:

No, it's incompetent, arrogant, juvenile stupidity
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

grumpydigger wrote:What they did appears to have been wrong..... :dyinglaughing:

No, it's incompetent, arrogant, juvenile stupidity

"Juvenile" yes. "Arrogant" not so sure. Add "dangerous". Not "incompetent" though. It's apparent that they know how things that go boom are wired. That's important in their job.

Ultimately "wrong". I agree with you and you still can't accept what I say......

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

can't accept what I say.

Unfortunately when you're part of a gang.That has people stupid enough to do this And then cover it up for two years ...........You don't get much Trust from me...........

I guess the new Internet training program We'll explain that to you.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

KL3-Something wrote:

So if a kid rigs up a pipe bomb in his garage and blows something up for fun ,is he a menace to society or a candidate for depot?
What is wacky is that the losers who did this have their jobs and , just like those who have been named in sexual harassment allegations, will get promoted....

Any wonder why some get a nauseating feel any time they see one of your cruisers KL ???
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

KL3-Something wrote:

In my work,I am charged with protecting and enhancing rights for a very vulnerable segment of society. When things go 'boom', and they do in routine fashion,I don't consider myself wacky to be able to deal with it. I do what the taxpayers pay me to do. In a caring,competent, and professional manner. You as a taxpayer should insist on nothing less.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

shoo wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:

In my work,I am charged with protecting and enhancing rights for a very vulnerable segment of society. When things go 'boom', and they do in routine fashion,I don't consider myself wacky to be able to deal with it. I do what the taxpayers pay me to do. In a caring,competent, and professional manner. You as a taxpayer should insist on nothing less.

The "boom" in your line of work and the "boom" in the bomb squad's line of work are are probably two separate things. If someone left a ticking briefcase in your waiting room who do you call?

Again, I am NOT defending the actions of these particular members. If the allegations are true what they did was WRONG.

But in my time I have come to know a few of the guys that have worked in EDU (not these particular members). They aren't the ones who come to your door when you are having issues with your neighbor or pull you over for speeding. They go to deal with the things that everyone else doesn't want to come within a city block of. It takes a different kind of person to voluntarily put themselves in situations like that. I know I wouldn't be signing up for that gig anytime soon.

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

You will never understand police officers if you've never been one!!

This might have gone sideways, but the stories I could tell you about Police Practical jokes, you would wonder. In saying this, you have to be different to keep yourself sane in that career. It's one way of relieving the day to day stresses.

Police humour is often called ""black humour."
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

If that is how they relieve the stress of the job, I'm sure they won't mind paying the damages so the taxpayer does not get stuck with them. It would be the responsible thing to do.
Black Dogs Matter
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Kenyo wrote:You will never understand police officers if you've never been one!!

If you've never been a criminal Who planted an explosive device :eyeballspin: you will never understand one.

If you've never had a hearing in both ears destroyed and your hand mangled by a couple of stupid jackasses.............

What annoys me the most,is that this was kept hidden for two years during a 20 year contract negotiation.......

And is further evidence how above the law and stupid many of their officers are.

Return to “Canada”