BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

Great shares to own. 75M subscribers, and growing. Numerous patents. Its just a simple bump in the BB road. I beleive it is one of the most undervalued stocks on the TSX.

"Be fearful when others are greedy, and be greedy when others are fearful." Warren Buffet.

My average purchase price is $18.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

This one big company once hit a bump too...

Just kidding, although it's nothing but trouble with RIM. Especially with new CEO saying "nothing out of ordinary, we just have to market it better".
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

There are quite a few valid comparisons between RIM and NORTEL, although Nokia might be a better comparison. The main reason RIM has seen it's subscribers increase is because they have slashed prices, but this in turn has reduced profits. Bad marketing isn't their problem, it's an inferior product and slow innovation (IMO).

I haven't really lost money on my stock yet, but there are sure a lot safer and wiser investment opportunities out there. No need to panick though.
Last edited by Glacier on Jan 24th, 2012, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Down over 4% again on strong volume. This won't stop until all the shorts are covered. Might have support at 14.60
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Glacier wrote:There are quite a few valid comparisons between RIM and NORTEL, although Nokia might be a better comparison. The main reason RIM has seen it's subscribers increase is because they have slashed prices, but this in turn has reduced profits. Bad marketing isn't their problem, it's an inferior product and and slow innovation (IMO).

I haven't really lost money on my stock yet, but there are sure a lot safer and wiser investment opportunities out there. No need to panick though.

Nokia is a much better comparison. Fraudulant accting isn't what is taking RIM down. Just hope that doesn't become the next news :200:
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Analysts aren't happy with the restructuring of RIM, the new CEO and Chair are under attack, and now they've been served with another patent lawsuit while a judge has reserved his decision on another infringement lawsuit.

The Canadian Press

OTTAWA—Ottawa-based Wi-LAN Inc. has launched a patent suit against Research In Motion Ltd., adding to the challenges facing the troubled BlackBerry maker.

The suit, filed in a U.S. district court in Florida, claims that the BlackBerry maker is infringing on two patents belonging to Wi-LAN — U.S. Patent No. 5,515,369 and U.S. Patent No. 6,232,969.

The “369” patent relates to the way BlackBerry smartphones and the PlayBook tablet use Bluetooth, a means of short-distance data transmission between devices. Wi-LAN says about 60 models of RIM devices infringe on that patent.

The “969” patent relates to the “sym” key on several of the more recent families of BlackBerry smartphones, including the Bold, Torch, Curve and Pearl.

The claim against RIM says Wi-LAN has been “irreparably harmed and monetarily harmed” but doesn’t provide a financial amount. It does say that, if the claim is upheld, RIM should pay triple the damages if it’s found to have wilfully infringed on the patent.

Wi-LAN’s suit also asserts RIM should have known that it was infringing on the Bluetooth patent since it is the subject of litigation between the Ottawa-based patent house and one of RIM’s suppliers — Texas Instruments.

Patents can be incredibly valuable because they provide the legal right to use certain unique technology.

Wi-LAN specializes in licensing out rights to the patents in its portfolio and has a record of exacting multi-year licence agreements with companies after fighting successful legal battles that sometimes take years to resolve.

A spokeswoman for Wi-LAN said Monday the patent suit against Research In Motion was part of a normal course of business and unrelated to the weekend announcement that RIM’s co-CEOs were stepping aside.

Wi-LAN doesn’t comment on the cases when they’re before the courts, she said.

The suit, which filed late Friday in the U.S. district court for the Southern District of Florida and announced Monday, is the latest challenge for RIM, which is in the midst of a major shakeup of its senior management.

RIM has a new chief executive officer, who will replace Mike Lazaridis and Jim Balsillie.

They are being replaced by Thorsten Heins, a little-known RIM executive who has the job of trying to pull Research in Motion out of a big slump.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I do not see any similarities between Nortel and RIM. RIM' subscriber base is not growing because of slashed prices. All the growth is coming from Asia, which expanded by 35% last year. They have a safe and secure network favored by a niche market. Sure the BB has its faults, but so does the iphone as I am beginning to find out.

The CEO of Fairfax Financial joined the B-o-D yesterday. He has an exceptional track record.

I still sleep well and will profit nicely from my investment in RIM.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Oh when, oh when will RIMM take off into stratosphere? Another 4% down today.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh when, oh when will RIMM take off into stratosphere? Another 4% down today.

I bought more the other day at $13.50. I will trust the opinion of Fairfax Financial CEO who purchased $500m worth of shares in January. One of the secrets of being a successful investor is to avoid the sheep mentality that you clearly possess. :sillygrin:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Static wrote:One of the secrets of being a successful investor is to avoid the sheep mentality that you clearly possess. :sillygrin:

Teehee.

Let's bump this thread in 6 months and see where it is by that time.

I say it will be below $11/share by that time.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Teehee.

Let's bump this thread in 6 months and see where it is by that time.

I say it will be below $11/share by that time.

Based on what analysis?
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

don't have to wait 6 months, it will be that by mid april
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

:sunshine: Come on Homeowner! You were in the industry, why would you rely on analysts who are rarely ever right? If memory serves me correctly, he was the same one who called the end of Apple as well. Give me some organic critiques of where they are going wrong. Or not. You can always be a Bay Street Sheep and continue to post other peoples opinions. Afterall, it would be a shame for you to have to think for yourself. :sillygrin:
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

normaM wrote:don't have to wait 6 months, it will be that by mid april

You might be correct due soley to market forces, but it will still be a buy. It isn't going bankrupt this decade or next because the company is profitabel and the financial statements are clean. I will double my money in 2 years.

Return to “Canada”