BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

Homeownertoo wrote:Meanwhile, out in the third world, where some people think BB's salvation lies, in India, Z10s have just gone on sale. Price : 43,500 rupee; SG3s are under 30,000 rupees and Note 2s are 37,500.

Yup, lots of Indians (and other third-worlders) can afford more than an engineer's monthly salary for a phone, when the competition is priced way lower.

BlackBerry says it won’t go down road of $50 phones as Z10 sells out in two days in India

http://business.financialpost.com/2013/03/07/blackberrys-heins-says-he-wont-go-down-road-of-50-phones-as-blackberry-10-sells-out-in-two-days-in-india/?__lsa=6d40-0014
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Jeffries has a price target of 19.50. Interesting though is that they attribute very little of this valuation on the handsets (2-4) and the bulk on the income stream from the enterprise side. Even thought BBry would not be in the handset business in a years time.
Hope you managed to average down to high teens Static cuz I seriously doubt this is a $40 stock

ETA- And don't ya think it a bit strange for them to announce mid quarter a mill unit sale to a "mystery" buyer hiding behind confidentiality? Strikes me as almost a desperation announcment to maintain a positive spin?? And besides, it says nothing about what kind of success this mystery buyer will have in unloading the handsets or how far they might have to discount them to do so.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

twobits wrote:Jeffries has a price target of 19.50. Interesting though is that they attribute very little of this valuation on the handsets (2-4) and the bulk on the income stream from the enterprise side. Even thought BBry would not be in the handset business in a years time.
Hope you managed to average down to high teens Static cuz I seriously doubt this is a $40 stock

ETA- And don't ya think it a bit strange for them to announce mid quarter a mill unit sale to a "mystery" buyer hiding behind confidentiality? Strikes me as almost a desperation announcment to maintain a positive spin?? And besides, it says nothing about what kind of success this mystery buyer will have in unloading the handsets or how far they might have to discount them to do so.

I know you don't think it is a $40 stock. Otherwise you would have been buying this last year. I find nothing strange about them releasing such a press release. They also released that they sold 5 days worth of inventory in 2 to the Indian market. Trust me, any company (could be a government too) that orders a million of anything have done their due diligence. It is common for businesses to keep transactions private. Scour through any financial statements and they rarely ever breakdown what was sold to who.

I expect BB to announce at least 2M units sold in the last quarter. The financials are to be released March 28.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

"Research In Motion Ltd. shares are up 6 per cent after Morgan Stanley upgraded the BlackBerry maker two notches from "underweight" to "overweight" and boosted its price target to $22 from $10 (U.S.). It cited encouragement over expanding gross margins for the devices and higher average selling prices as the company transitions to its BB10 devices"

:discodance:
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Excluding some costs, profit was 22 cents in the period, the Waterloo, Ontario-based company said in a statement. That compared with an average estimate for a loss of 30 cents a share, according to data compiled by Bloomberg. Sales in the fiscal fourth quarter, which ended March 2, fell to $2.68-billion, missing the average projection of $2.83-billion.

Cash increased $0.8billion to $2.9b.

The company shipped about 1 million BlackBerry 10 devices last quarter (1/3 of a quarter), compared with the 1.1 million average estimate of 10 analysts. It shipped 6 million smartphones in total, missing the 6.9 million estimate.

55% of Z10 sales were to customers switching from iPhone and Google phone.

:nyah: :sillygrin:
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Prem Watsa: Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Is Worth $40 a Share

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/04/prem-watsa-research-in-motion-ltd-bbry-is-worth-40-a-share/

Weird!
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Static wrote:Prem Watsa: Research In Motion Ltd (BBRY) Is Worth $40 a Share

http://www.valuewalk.com/2013/04/prem-watsa-research-in-motion-ltd-bbry-is-worth-40-a-share/

Weird!

Wow, that is weird....the biggest shareholder pumping the stock that is sitting there stagnant after their most critical product introduction ever. Hmmmmm, I wonder why he would be doing that??????? Hmmmmmmmm......weird.
You and 71 others Like this post
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

LANDM wrote:Wow, that is weird....the biggest shareholder pumping the stock that is sitting there stagnant after their most critical product introduction ever. Hmmmmm, I wonder why he would be doing that??????? Hmmmmmmmm......weird.

Or perhaps because he sits on the Board of Directors and has access to the information that BB keeps tight lipped until its quarterly release. Besides, he has proven his steller business acumen, something you cannot say about yourself.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

In a statement, Selfridges said that the Q10 had been its fastest-selling consumer electronics product ever, through its London, Birmingham and Manchester stores. "Selfridges' initial stock of the BlackBerry Q10 sold out in stores within two hours," the store said in a statement. "Stock of the BlackBerry Q10 is being continually delivered on the hour, every hour to keep up with demand."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/apr/29/blackberry-q10-sellout-uk
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Michael Lazaridis, ex CEO of BB, purchased 127,500 shares on May 1.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:Michael Lazaridis, ex CEO of BB, purchased 127,500 shares on May 1.

Could be a smart move, even a bump to 19 would make him a quick half million and thus doesn't infer a long term bull attitude. And unlike the average investor, he has the means to gamble a little.
Still a really steep hill to 40 static! What did you manage to average down to?
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

twobits wrote:Could be a smart move, even a bump to 19 would make him a quick half million and thus doesn't infer a long term bull attitude. And unlike the average investor, he has the means to gamble a little.
Still a really steep hill to 40 static! What did you manage to average down to?

I don't think it will be. Shorts control the market at them moment, but once they release their earnings it think they are going to surprise everyone. They are licensing their operating system to auto manufacturers to put in cars. They announced they will be allowing other phones onto their network too.

My average purchase price is around $20. None of my clients are underwater on it. I got my ex girlfriend in at $7.50....go figure!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Static wrote:I got my ex girlfriend in at 7.50

Oh wow...Oh wait, those are dollars, not inches.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh wow...Oh wait, those are dollars, not inches.

Very funny...if I knew how to use my emoticons it would be the desk slapper.:)

Return to “Canada”