BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

Y would you sell when you said you would exit at 23 above?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

How did RIM lose its way? Five things that cost the BlackBerry its dominance
Michael Oliveira, The Canadian Press, January 27, 2013 12:00:17 PM

How did RIM fritter away its marketshare? Here are five factors that eroded its dominance.

1. A failed transition from the corporate world into the consumer market

Before users became accustomed to fast and unfettered mobile web access, wireless messaging on a BlackBerry was the ultimate in high-tech connectivity. The ability to send and receive email on the go and trade BlackBerry Messenger texts spawned the CrackBerry moniker, and everyone in the corporate world had a BlackBerry or lusted for one. But RIM failed to catch the wave of consumer smartphone adoption and its rudimentary support of multimedia and the mobile web eventually looked pathetic beside Apple's iPhone, Google Android phones and other devices. Only now with BlackBerry 10 does it appear that RIM has caught up to its rivals, but can it keep pace as Apple and Android continue to innovate?

2. Too many phones

Since its original release in 2007 only six versions of the iPhone have been produced. RIM, meanwhile, has flooded the market with dozens of BlackBerrys with consumer-unfriendly names and imperceptible differences. There have been Bolds, Curves, Pearls, Storms, Styles and the Torch, paired with four-digit product monikers like Bold 9900 that made little sense to consumers. Instead of focusing on perfecting just a few outstanding devices, RIM spread its attention across a multitude of phones, including some clunkers.

3. The annoying spinning hour glass, battery pulls

Somewhere along the line the BlackBerry went from being the phone everyone loved to the phone everyone loved to hate. As the functionality of BlackBerrys became more sophisticated, users got to know the infuriating hour glass icon, or clock symbol, which popped up (all too often) when the phone was getting bogged down. And many got in the habit of popping off the back lid to pull out the battery and restore their crashing BlackBerry to life. Of course, the process to then restart the BlackBerry took an eternity, or at least felt like it.

4. Lacklustre web browsing

Anyone with an older model knows that web browsing on a BlackBerry can be frustratingly futile. The BlackBerry 7 operating system did bring huge improvements to the web browser, which became embarrassingly inadequate in recent years as website design became more complex. Now, many popular websites won't even load on older BlackBerrys, leaving users to build a mental checklist of what sites they can actually visit on the go and which just won't work.

5. No apps

RIM's aggressive push urging developers to finally write apps for BlackBerrys is long, long overdue. RIM allowed Apple's App Store and the Google Play marketplace to develop huge leads over its own BlackBerry World before taking the app gap seriously. Many of the top-tier app and game developers are finally looking at the BlackBerry market but there are still notable omissions, including Netflix, Skype and Instagram.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Very much so. I hope Blackberry 10 is different from that perspective. Not having any of the apps always been frustrating to me. As far as spinning hour glass - iPhones tend to do it too, so it's not BB prerogative.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I'm excited to see what the new phone will be like. 7AM on BNN all day... :nyah:
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:Y would you sell when you said you would exit at 23 above?

Go read that post again. I also said maybe lower if it didn't reach 20-23 by release date. Profit taking started early so I bailed @ 16 and change for a 100% profit instead of 125%. Have you got a problem with that strategy or do you want to continue to try and proove that you are the only one that knows how to trade stocks. I don't wish any losses on you, just have different methods than you. I sold the news. Get over it.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

You should buy back in. The phone is going to sell very well. This is after you take a nap, grumpy pants. :sleepdeprived:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

They won't be selling new phones in US till end of the year and will only focus on Canada in the mean time, am I right?
GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by GrooveTunes »

Captain Awesome wrote:They won't be selling new phones in US till end of the year and will only focus on Canada in the mean time, am I right?

No. They go on sale in March in the US and 10 other countries.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I think. They are for sale in the UK today and Canada Feb. 4.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

anyone know how much they will be selling for
i assume they will come with the bull sh--t 3 year contracts :purefury:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

the truth wrote:anyone know how much they will be selling for
i assume they will come with the bull sh--t 3 year contracts :purefury:

$600 off the contract, $150 with the contract.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:I think. They are for sale in the UK today and Canada Feb. 4.

That strategy would make sense. BB's have done well in the UK because of the financial incentives provided to retailers to push them and in Canada there is the patriotic factor. If they can show some decent sales in these two markets it might create some interest elsewhere in the world.Try to build some momentum so to speak.
I am still seeing it as a long shot though.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I agree Twobits, although I am certain the phone is going to be awesome. Just bought more shares in all my accounts. I find it funny markets put so much emphasis on the U.S. when Asia, which favors BB over iphone, is a much larger market. The importance of the U.S. is no longer what is used to be. They are a slow dieing super power...thankfully.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Okay, the make-or-break device is out and ... it underwhelmed. It looks like Z10 will fly but it's not the android/iphone killer the fanboys were promising and expecting. I see it as enough to keep many BB users coming back but not enough to cause android and iphone users to make the switch. As for the stock, it's now down nearly 50% from its recent high. That may just be reaction, but it will be a haul to get it back up over $20. Too bad.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

If you are still trying to average down I would have waited a few more days. The only floor to this now is short covering and then asset value. The only upside will be good sales results and those numbers we will have to wait for.

Return to “Canada”