BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

I've been checking out some strata's in North Vancouver, most are down 10% over the past few years surprisingly. But they are still too expensive to create positive cash flow if I was to rent the place out in a few years.
maryjane48
Buddha of the Board

Post by maryjane48 »

i wish i would have bought in kitimat when i had chance , lol you could have gotten a nice house for less than a hundred grand
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

lakevixen wrote: i wish i would have bought in kitimat when i had chance , …

Yes, as the expression goes, timing is everything - and when referencing home purchases this could refer to either getting in during a buyer’s market or deflated market, or by living in your home long enough to benefit from appreciation and increases in equity. Prices fluctuate. We sold a very nice condo in Kelowna when we left there in 2004. If we had been able to stay one more year we could have sold it for $100,000 more. Fortunately, we had already owned the condo for some time and were still able to walk away with a considerable amount of equity – which provided us the ability to move up in our next purchase. I’m sure glad we hadn’t been giving our shelter money to someone else all that time. I recognize that circumstances are different for everyone, but looking at the home you live in solely as some speculative investment betrays a real lack of understanding.

Those who insist on comparing home ownership (where it serves the purpose of shelter) with stock market investing (that is done with after-shelter income) are completely missing the point. Everyone has to pay for shelter (unless you’re living in a tent in the park). It doesn’t matter if you’re paying interest to the bank if you’re using money you’d be spending on shelter anyway. A person can try to pretend there is this magical “difference” that could be invested, but that only happens if you create an example out of your butt where someone over-leverages themselves to purchase a home they cannot afford. I pay half in mortgage (including tax) what other people are currently paying in rent for shelter far less spacious and comfortable than my home. Yes, I have spent some money in renovations, but anything I’ve paid in mortgage (and building some extra equity on top of my market investments while at it) would have gone to rent (building some extra equity for some landlord) otherwise.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I agree with what you are saying SL. But there is a time to buy and a time to rent. People my age are buying into a market that leaves them zero money(and often negative cash-flow at the end of the month) to put aside in savings whereas renting leaves some income aside to save. Unless of course, you are a person who is unable to save, then sure it probably is a better idea for that person to buy, even if they are going to take a beating in price depreciation. But, for someone like myself, it has been far more profitable to rent. You can debate this all you want, but at the end of the day, numbers do not lie. Which reminds me, bust out the numbers showing me how much better off I would have been buying say 7 years ago rather than investing in the stock market. Assume I had a $50,000 downpayment at the time. I am still waiting.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Static wrote: I am still waiting.

And as long as you continue trying to compare home ownership
with stock market investing you always will be. Good luck Static.

atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Static wrote:PS. I'm not in my 20's. I'm in my teens.

Interesting... Back on May 5th, 2009 you posted....

Static wrote:My wife and I will be buying in year and a half to two years. I think prices are going to undershoot. Eventhough there is too much supply, there are still new projects coming to market.

If you are... I don't know, say 19 right now... then...

Wait... let me do some math on my calculating machine here....

Ummm 2015 minus 2009 equals six years... so if you are 19 now then you were married when you were ummm...

Yeah,... roughly 13 years old.

Yeesh! Not that I ever thought you were ever truthful in the past, but wow! way to go there static!

How did that whole buying a home in two years pan out for you?

Oh, on topic... Blackberry still sucks balls as both a phone, and an investment.
You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

When it comes to finance, numbers never lie. The only number that matters is the bottom line. Please show me how someone using a $50,000 for a 10% downpayment will accumulate more wealth than investing the amount and earning a historical return in the stockmarket (8-9% return). While you are at it, Show me how someone is better off by sitting on a paid off home than she would be if they invested the capital and used the dividends to pay the rent.

Who wants to bet SL's answer will be a deflection?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

atenbacon wrote: If you are... I don't know, say 19 right now... then...

Wait... let me do some math on my calculating machine here....

Ummm 2015 minus 2009 equals six years... so if you are 19 now then you were married when you were ummm...

Yeah,... roughly 13 years old.

Yeesh! Not that I ever thought you were ever truthful in the past, but wow! way to go there static!

How did that whole buying a home in two years pan out for you?

Oh, on topic... Blackberry still sucks balls as both a phone, and an investment.

LMAO.....good job Magnum PI....clearly I was joking....I am in my 30's.....lol...that was awesome.

Blackberry sucks as an investment only depends on when you bought it. If you bought it a year ago you would be up 20%. But, if you waited until April you would be up 60%. Me on the other hand, I am still down 24%.
Last edited by Static on Mar 2nd, 2015, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

SL, using Google in Mom's basement trying to figure out what compound growth and opportunity costs are...
Attachments
SLBasement.jpg
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

OK SL, tell me what is better and less expensive-selling your paid off home in Vancouver (average price $1m) and throwing it into a mix of low risk blue-chip stocks and receive 6% ($60,000) in income annually and rent this http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/apa/4887949086.html

or continue to live in this?

http://www.rew.ca/properties/V1107189/767-east-26th-street-north-vancouver?property_search=314167633

Oh ya, so much more value in buying.....
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Oh SL, how you look so silly. Can only resort to insults.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:^^^ no they don't. I classify non-dividend shares as speculative and never speculate with more than 10% of my portfolio. It's really done nothing to my portfolio, my dividends have covered the loss already.

You complete azz. Many on these threads gave you opinions 12 months in advance of the obvious downward spiral of BB. You preached to us know nothings how wrong we were.
Now, a year later, when our predictions actually were correct, you are still unable to take a conciliatory position and ask for not advice, but simple opinion. Smart money listens to opinion static. Whatever your stated roi is on total asset, I personally don't believe it for a minute just because the way you pumped BB. Any investor, let alone one that professes to invest for others, with one iota of competence would not have continued to pump BB well past it's expiration date.
If you had come on the threads and been straight up.......I'm not sure about this stock.....wadda ya think....? Instead, you pump BB whose financials are clearly public like it was some kind of OTC penny stock. Sorry dude, but I wouldn't have you manage my personal checking acct never mind my investment portfolio solely for the way you pumped BB. It was that obvious bud and you didn't see it.
And BTW, 10% of a management fund is VERY significant. To say it was only 10% just confirms amateur.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Static wrote:Oh SL, how you look so silly. Can only resort to insults.

atenbacon
Übergod

Post by atenbacon »

Static wrote:Bla bla bla... words and more bla bla....

You have to keep an open mind until it is proven one way or the other. You just can't take the T.V. or internet word on it.

Return to “Canada”