BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

Of course you read bad reviews and I read the opposite. Phone companies are excited about it and are investing hundreds of millions to upgrade their systems to accomodate the technology. They wouldn't be doing so if they shared your same veiw. There is no point debating the phone until it is actually released.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Static wrote: Homeowner, they have previewed the phone already. Make sure you know what you are talking about before your sorry attempts at ridicule.

The phone is not even out yet. What was previewed was a prototype. What a twit. :dyinglaughing:

Anyway, only the intellectually challenged think a device makes or breaks a tech company. It's the ecosystem, as Steve Jobs so presciently divined when crafting the iPod and then the iPhone. And ecosystem is exactly where Rim falls apart (just as Microsoft did with Zune), as any app developer can tell you. It's why the iphone and ipad are world beaters while BB and PB are just beaten up.

But all this is far beyond some people's capacity to comprehend so they end up making themselves look foolish passing off wishful thinking as fact and analysis.
Last edited by Homeownertoo on Jul 20th, 2012, 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

"RIM's demise stems from arrogance"

"Certainly the new features alluded to so far will be far too little, far too late."

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/article/90409--rim-s-demise-stems-from-arrogance
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

try reposting without personal attacks - Jennylives
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Arrogance? Because I have made a positve assessment of a stock. :coffeecanuck: you are aware that Apple went down the same path as RIM before?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Static wrote:Arrogance? Because I have made a positve assessment of a stock. :coffeecanuck: you are aware that Apple went down the same path as RIM before?

And you are aware that the reasons were totally different? And that there was a cult-like figure to return to "save" the company?
You and 71 others Like this post
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Please explain LAndm
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Static wrote:Please explain LAndm

If you don't know or can't see the differences already, my explanation won't help.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

:dyinglaughing: Oh LANDM, you are useless.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Prem Wartsa has doubled his position in RIM. He now owns roughly 10% of the company.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Static wrote::dyinglaughing: Oh LANDM, you are useless.

Not entirely useless...I can be very useful as a spellchecker.....your idol is spelled Watsa, not "Wartsa" as you called him above. :dyinglaughing:
However, I am useless at feeling any need to respond to your request for an explanation of the huge differences between the histories of apple and rim. This is pretty elementary financial, corporate, and R&D background and I'm sure you really don't need that do you?

If you are using the history of Apple to provide your rationale for why RIM will pull themselves out of their current predicament, you are in trouble. There are other reasons why they may, just not that one.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Expand on those reasons LANDM.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Static wrote:Expand on those reasons LANDM.

You have already expanded on the reasons.....see above comments...just as I dont see the need to explain other obvious things, i dont see the need to restate what supporters of RIM, including yourself, have said....especially when it is contained in this very thread.
The difference is that I view it that they "may" be able to do it, whereas you view it that they "will". It is far from a foregone conclusion either way. The tech sector, while not unique in this regard, has especially extreme examples of short term determinants of success and failure.

Can RIM pull a rabbit out of their corporate hat on this? Sure they can.

Will they? Time will tell. However, nobody is right all of the time so hitching your wagon to Watsa or anyone else may increase your chances in general on your investments but it is not a logical reason to say that RIM will succeed. He may be viewing it simply as value as a takeover target rather than saying that RIM will carry on as RIM and all will be well. Frankly, I haven't studied him much specifically so I couldn't say what his reasons are or whether he has, in fact, stated them publicly. You apparently have so I'm sure you can expand on that, should you care to do so.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

What are the other obvious reasons?
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

All I have got to say is RIM is ridiculously cheap. I'll check back in 6 months. Ciao.

Return to “Canada”