BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Static
Guru

Re: BlackBerry maker CEOs step down as pressure mounts

Post by Static »

twobits wrote:OK, you made me look. Solid company. Good PE now. Nice dividend. Also note that you rode them from 35 to current 23ish in last ten months. Why not a set sell and profit take? Actually think I'll pick up a few k now.
Still does not make it appropriate on this thread and that was the message.

Sorry, can't agree with you on BB. All I see is a declining asset base and no money for r and d. It's cooked. All I see for it's future is a fire sale for whatever remaining value there is for intellectual property or customer list, or a slow and steady decline to nothing if they insist on hangin in. My grampa advice to you would be to take the capital loss now and use it to offset gains. The best thing you are going to achieve from BB right now is legal tax avoidance. And that is not a bad thing. It is actually a valuable tool in the investors tool kit.

I don't really look at my IPL holdings. Its a stock you buy and forget about.

I am not sure what financials you looked at, but they are nowhere near as bad as you have interpreted them (unless you cannot read financial statements properly, or your grampa eyes are bad). They spent close to half a billion dollars a year on R&D and a positive cash-flow allows them to spend more on it if need be. You are missing the fact they are essentially buying others R&D whenever they buy patents and companies. I'm holding onto my BB. There financials are fine. Free cash-flow and a few billion in the bank. They continue to gain market share in the auto sector and the Priv is getting very good reviews.

Non-GAAP software and services revenue of $74 million, a 19% increase over Q2 FY15 driven by 33%
growth in software licensing revenue

Positive free cash flow of $100 million in the quarter
Cash and investments balance of $3.35 billion at the end of the fiscal quarter, an increase of $37 million
over Q1 FY16 after using $47 million on share repurchases

• Non-GAAP loss of ($0.13) per share, basic GAAP earnings of $0.10 per share
• Non-GAAP operating loss of ($84) million, with GAAP operating income of $33 million
• Non-GAAP gross margin of 40.9% and GAAP gross margin of 37.8%
• Adjusted EBITDA of $68 million

Q1 Highlights
• Software and technology licensing revenue of $137 million, a 150% increase over Q1 FY15
• Positive free cash flow of $123 million in the quarter

• Cash and investments balance of $3.32 billion at the end of the fiscal quarter, an increase of $50 million
over Q4 FY15

• Non-GAAP loss of ($0.05) per share, improving on a loss per share of ($0.11) in Q1 FY15
Basic GAAP earnings of $0.13 per share
Non-GAAP operating loss of ($7) million, improving on a non-GAAP operating loss of ($41) million in Q1
FY15

• Non-GAAP gross margin of 50.3% and GAAP gross margin of 47.1%
• Adjusted EBITDA of $157 million, a 5% increase over Q1 FY15
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Go back thru the thread static. I told the whole world here when I thought it was cooked. That was somewhere around the 20 buck mark I think. Been out of BB for so long I'm not sure. Gave you my buy and sell points, and also told you when I was going to short the stock and covered around 8 bucks. BB made me some good coin. And I actually do respect your knowledge....to a point. Maybe when you are a grandpa like me you won't get emotionally attached like you have been here. And I actually get that. I used to as well.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ I think you need to learn how to read financial statements. There is no emotion involved in this one. If there was I would have sold by now.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Static wrote:^^^^ I think you need to learn how to read financial statements. There is no emotion involved in this one. If there was I would have sold by now.

Static, for Jesus sake, quit insinuating you have some superior ability to read a financial statement. Am pretty sure I completed the Licentiate in Accounting from UBC to qualify as a CA before you met your first grade teacher. Give it a rest man.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^^ oh! I didn't realize how old you were. I'll stop raising your blood pressure then. Sorry man.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

for crying out loud you guys, calm down! sheesh!
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

^^^^ Twobits starts it! :)
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

I bought more BlackBerry and Interpipeline stock today. Getting a 7.5% yield on IPL. They will increase their dividend next year and the following one. I called 10 different stores from different regions of Vancouver and 20% had the phone in stock 100% of the stores said they are selling.
Last edited by Static on Dec 11th, 2015, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Speaking of stocks down 2% today, you should seriously buy Kinder Morgan. They have taken a sh** kicking over the past 6 months (lost 50% of value). It's a rock bottom in my opinion.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:Speaking of stocks down 2% today, you should seriously buy Kinder Morgan. They have taken a sh** kicking over the past 6 months (lost 50% of value). It's a rock bottom in my opinion.

Yikes, what a blood bath in the markets lately. I've used this joke before (care of Dennis Miller) but the markets right now are like a blind dominatrix, you never know when she'll hit bottom.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Glacier it's yield is indicating a dividend cut.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

BlackBerry up 10% today on better earnings.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

WhatsApp is discontinuing support for BlackBerry devices by the end of the year... this is a huge blow and could finally spell the end of BlackBerry as a handset maker. This makes it tough for a lot of even the staunchest suppprters to stick with BlackBerry... myself included. I'm going to be forced to a Priv or to switch platforms because WhatsApp has become an invaluable communication tool for business purposes.

Even if we make the switch to the Priv, I understand that it's limited to the Jellybean version of Android and that may just prolong the inevitable until WhatsApp abandons older versions of Android as well.

I now truly feel like one of the last passengers on a sinking ship.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jonrox wrote:WhatsApp is discontinuing support for BlackBerry devices by the end of the year... this is a huge blow and could finally spell the end of BlackBerry as a handset maker. This makes it tough for a lot of even the staunchest suppprters to stick with BlackBerry... myself included. I'm going to be forced to a Priv or to switch platforms because WhatsApp has become an invaluable communication tool for business purposes.

Even if we make the switch to the Priv, I understand that it's limited to the Jellybean version of Android and that may just prolong the inevitable until WhatsApp abandons older versions of Android as well.

I now truly feel like one of the last passengers on a sinking ship.

Since I don't have smartphone just wondering does BB have built in apps.

Added later: so went to Blackberry site & checked Leap & Z30 both have builtin messaging, so whatapp after market add-on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”