The 2011 Canada census. And its implications.

NAB
Buddha of the Board

The 2011 Canada census. And its implications.

Post by NAB »

"Census 2011 interactive: How does your community compare?

The first results from the 2011 census are in. Use the following maps to explore the population numbers and see how growth in different regions of Canada compares and has changed since the last census in 2006.
Check back in the coming months for expanded information here when Statistics Canada releases more detailed census results.
Read the story: 'Canada’s future is in the West: 2011 Census'. View more interactives: Your 2011 census at a glance and Canada's West grows as the East stalls"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/nat ... le2326514/

Woodenhead
Guru

Re: The 2011 Canada census. And its implications.

Post by Woodenhead »

Thanks for the info, NAB, altho I really wished this forum auto-resized posted images. (it's a trivial code change)

With the "oil patch jobs" in the west prospering while the manufacturing-centric east jobs have been suffering since "the crash", I suppose this is to be expected?

Keep us posted - I do find the census info interesting to poke at.
Your bias suits you.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Apparently there is to be some updated census data/analysis released tomorrow (Tuesday 29th).

Don't know about the image resizing issue when linking directly to them. I suppose I could capture and resize them myself and hang them somewhere else, but I don't need the bother of doing that right now. I don't see the images and videos on the forum any more anyway, unless I click on them. Gets rid of a lot of the clutter that way.

Nab
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Yes, they will be releasing new data every so often over the next year or two. Hence the reason I started the 2011 census thread.

It's interesting that the population continues to drop in most of BC and Canada - including much of Alberta. All this despite rapid overall population increase. My view is that government needs encourage more settlement in remote communities again.

School districts are stuck between a rock and a hard place with remote schools now becoming extremely expensive to operate due to a rapid drop in enrollment, but it's also expensive to bus kids 2 hours to next closest school. I'm thinking of Edgewood where they only have 6 kids left. They have declining enrollments, but they can't close the rural schools because the next closest school is too far away, and they can't close the city schools because the schools are full.

populationchange2011.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Younger Canadians fretting about getting older: survey

On the eve of a major release of 2011 census data that's expected to highlight the rapidly growing proportion of seniors in Canada's population, a new national survey on attitudes around aging shows surprisingly less concern among the country's oldest citizens about the inexorable march of time — and higher levels of anxiety among younger Canadians.

More: http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/can ... story.html
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Infographic: How Canada breaks down on age and gender lines

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/pol ... le2446313/
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Good info, NAB.

Here is some other info you'd be interested to know (if you're looking down from above):

1) West Kelowna is one of only two BC "towns" over 30,000 people with no Muslims. The other is Campbell River. Both have just shy of 31,000 people. Only two other towns over 20,000 have no Muslims (North Cowichan and Courtney).
    2) Speaking of North Cowichan and Courtney, they are the only towns over 20,000 people with no Hindus.
    3) While the Okanagan is considered quite white, we do have a lot of Sikhs. The same cannot be said for the 19,000 person town of Cranbrook, home of Bill Bennett and the largest town with no Sikhs.
    4) Back to the Okanagan, Penticton (pop: 32,000) is by far the largest city in BC with no Jews.
    5) Places in BC with the highest percentage of non-religous people, Christians, and Muslims are all Indian Reservations (87.5% at Matsqui Main 2, 95.9% at Dolphin Island 1, and 19% at Capilano 5 respectively).
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Jx3
Übergod

Post by Jx3 »

Glacier wrote:Good info, NAB.

Here is some other info you'd be interested to know (if you're looking down from above):

1) West Kelowna is one of only two BC "towns" over 30,000 people with no Muslims. The other is Campbell River. Both have just shy of 31,000 people. Only two other towns over 20,000 have no Muslims (North Cowichan and Courtney).
    2) Speaking of North Cowichan and Courtney, they are the only towns over 20,000 people with no Hindus.
    3) While the Okanagan is considered quite white, we do have a lot of Sikhs. The same cannot be said for the 19,000 person town of Cranbrook, home of Bill Bennett and the largest town with no Sikhs.
    4) Back to the Okanagan, Penticton (pop: 32,000) is by far the largest city in BC with no Jews.
    5) Places in BC with the highest percentage of non-religous people, Christians, and Muslims are all Indian Reservations (87.5% at Matsqui Main 2, 95.9% at Dolphin Island 1, and 19% at Capilano 5 respectively).

Interesting.

I wonder when you say there are "no _____" in a certain city do you actually mean zero, or do you mean a statistically insignificant number? I ask because I lived many years in Courtenay not that long ago (not sure where Courtney is, but I'm sure she is very nice nonetheless) and while I didn't personally know of any Muslims I did know several Hindus.

Return to “Canada”