RCMP says kicking handcuffed man was 'stun technique'

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

RCMP says kicking handcuffed man was 'stun technique'

Post by oneh2obabe »

Alberta RCMP are looking at a YouTube video showing an officer kicking an arrested man in the face. Mounties say the suspect was difficult to subdue and the kick was used as a stun technique.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/rcmp-say ... 22829.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
FreeRights
Guru

Re: RCMP says kicking handcuffed man was 'stun technique'

Post by FreeRights »

Kicking a person in the face is a stun technique that can be used in certain situations. However, after watching this video and observing the person handcuffed and being restrained by two officers (and if I am not mistaken, a third was also close by), I do not think any stun techniques are truly necessary in this situation.

When a person is in handcuffs and a scrum ensues, the risk of that person becoming injured increases (damage to wrists, arms). I do not believe the subject was combative enough for it to be necessary for that action to be taken.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
diggerdick
Board Meister

Post by diggerdick »

Just like the man , up in Prince George who was hogtied and handcuffed in the back RCMP cruiser and then dropped on his head and beat up inside the station

It was all just a technique to stun him :dyinglaughing: it's amazing the stories that can be made up when you try to cover your backside
THINK for yourself - Dont be lead-
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

As much as I will often defend police operations, I will never defend the kicking or physical abuse of a handcuffed prisoner.

If a prisoner is handcuffed behind their backs in the normal way, the worst they can do is a two foot kick if you are in their kicking range. Rear and side windows of police cars are the typical victims here.

Kicking a restrained prisoner is an incredibly cowardly act of bullying and or lack of self control on the part of the police officer. The members who do this should be dealt with very harshly.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Seriously, you're defending *bleep*...es. The same consideration should be given to them as that which they gave to others.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Just watched the video. Goes to show if you stop, shut up and cooperate, you likely won't get beat.

Again, what's the issue here?
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Alex1967 wrote:As much as I will often defend police operations, I will never defend the kicking or physical abuse of a handcuffed prisoner.

If a prisoner is handcuffed behind their backs in the normal way, the worst they can do is a two foot kick if you are in their kicking range. Rear and side windows of police cars are the typical victims here.

Kicking a restrained prisoner is an incredibly cowardly act of bullying and or lack of self control on the part of the police officer. The members who do this should be dealt with very harshly.

Right on!! No excuse for that and it amazes me that a senior officer at the rank of Superintendant would seemingly support these actions as being [possibly] legitmate and warranted by suggesting that it was a "stun technique". Members who do stuff like that would not have lasted very long a few years back when they were required to work alone at night in tough areas, northern mining towns and so on. Yes, there are more guns and weapons out there these days, but once a prisoner is handcuffed like that and there are two or three other members there supporting the arresting officer, there is no way that should be happening. Those officers lost a lot of respect from all of the other people that were witnessing this event, and unfortunately, the feelings they take away from seeing the members behave that way very often influence their own behavior toward the police in the future.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Highly trained as they are, when you get right down to it, they are human beings and they are prone to knee jerk reactions occasionally just like the rest of us. Jeff Mantler excluded. POS.

Obviously they are placing themselves in a position where they are going to be judged harshly by many when stuff like this happens.

I am torn between people getting what they deserve because they are socially stunted and criminally oriented and the police having to maintain a facade of unflappability no matter what they are being subjected to.

I think that a lot of guys like this idiot continue to be idiots because no one kicked them in the face during the formative years when, as junior as....es they bullied and terrorized with impunity.

i think that if enough of them had their butts kicked as fledgling scum bags, many of them could have had a come to Jesus moment early on and spared all of us the aggravation of them walking among us.
Treblehook
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Treblehook »

Three able bodies members right there and the scumbag [no question about that] was prone and reportedly handcuffed. No need to put the boot to his head. The member who did that is obviously oblivious to the fact that he is being recorded I would say. Either that or he just doesn't care which is pretty indicative that he is in the wrong kind of work.
FreeRights
Guru

Post by FreeRights »

ledzep77 wrote:Highly trained as they are, when you get right down to it, they are human beings and they are prone to knee jerk reactions occasionally just like the rest of us. Jeff Mantler excluded. POS.

Obviously they are placing themselves in a position where they are going to be judged harshly by many when stuff like this happens.

I am torn between people getting what they deserve because they are socially stunted and criminally oriented and the police having to maintain a facade of unflappability no matter what they are being subjected to.

I think that a lot of guys like this idiot continue to be idiots because no one kicked them in the face during the formative years when, as junior as....es they bullied and terrorized with impunity.

i think that if enough of them had their butts kicked as fledgling scum bags, many of them could have had a come to Jesus moment early on and spared all of us the aggravation of them walking among us.

I'm certainly willing to bet that the subject deserved a good boot to the face, but I don't think the police were the ones who should deliver.
Come quickly Jesus, we're barely holding on.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

it certainly stunned me.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Hey, you're the man with the gun, I expect you to maintain professional demeanour and etiquette at all times. It yours job an d if you can't handle that, give the gun back.

As someone said ,more lost respect.

Return to “Canada”