Big retailers face new language rules in Quebec

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Big retailers face new language rules in Quebec

Post by oneh2obabe »

Some of the world's largest retailers are fighting for the right to keep their identity intact after Quebec's French-language watchdog demanded they rework their brand names to fit the French-language charter.

Costco, Best Buy, Gap, Old Navy, Guess and Wal-Mart have asked Quebec's superior court whether the Office Québécois de la langue française (OQLF) has the right to demand such changes to their trademarks.

The OQLF wants businesses to add French generics to their trademark, something many other retailers have done in recent years after solid crackdowns by French-language authorities.

French generics can be terms to help describe the service or product sold by the retailer or descriptive terms added under a trademark name. For example, the Second Cup coffee chain recently added "les cafés" before its name in order to comply with language laws.

Nathalie St-Pierre, vice-president of the Quebec Retail Council of Canada, said the businesses believed they were in compliance with the law for the last 20 years but were surprised by the OQLF's warning.

She said the issue is the way the French-language watchdog applies its requirements to different retailers on a case-by-case basis.

"The issue is how do we go about doing this and do we have rules that are clear and that are applicable to all in the same manner, which is not the case currently," said St-Pierre.

St-Pierre said the OQLF should consider applying solid rules rather than demanding particular changes to different stores.

She said infractions can cost businesses between $3,000 and $20,000 in fines and repeat offenders can be charged even more.

Stores could also see their certificate of francisation confiscated — the certificate that confirms the work environment abides to current provincial language rules.

According to a news release issued by the OQLF in August 2011, French-language officials will not force businesses to translate their names, but would rather demand they add French slogans or descriptive titles to their current titles.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/ ... anies.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Big retailers face new language rules in Quebec

Post by Bsuds »

Maybe they should just close their doors in Quebec.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Imagine how many people will be out of work if those 6 decide to close up shop. What gives the OQLF the right to demand changes to company names, which I'm sure are all trade-marked, when those same companies are doing advertising, hiring, etc. following the language laws?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It is getting to the point of ridiculous.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
westbankkid
Übergod

Post by westbankkid »

:1419: What do you expect from Quebec? They are all a bunch of rednecks. They should be applying the law evenly across Canada. If you want an English or French sign it should be the company's choice. We need a law that unless the Province is more than 15% French, English can be the only language on packaging.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

oneh2obabe wrote:Imagine how many people will be out of work if those 6 decide to close up shop.

Let's be real - none would ever close the shops over it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

Of course they won't close up shop ... that's why I said "*imagine" if they did.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

This is just so stupid. What they are in essence saying is that Quebecors are just too plain stupid to know what some of North America's largest trademark names are without an accompanying french phrase. Is there anyone in North America that does not know what Walmart or Costco sells? Apparently the quebecois are too stupid and need a french footnote.

Les department stores du WALLMART

Am sure that will end their confusion
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
waynetyea
Fledgling

Post by waynetyea »

give them *bleep* for tat... make french signs and names be changed over to english till they remove thier stupid lang. laws...
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

A lot of the names then don't comply... So here's my idea:

-Tim Hortons - Like, do we really have to say they serve coffee?

-Loblaws - Lobelâ, Votre épicier

-Dunkin DOnut - Les beignes de Dunkin This one have been in business for over a millennium in Quebec and EVERYONE knows they serve donuts. Doh. -

-Canadian TIre - Les Pneus Canadiens? :dyinglaughing:

-Hart, pas cher pas cher.

-Wal Mart - Le Magasin de Wal

-Target - La Cible (Right, this one won't be present in QC)

-Costco - Coopérative Coûteuse

- Best Buy - Meilleur Achat

- Gap - La craque

-Old Navy - Vieux Marin

-Guess - Devine

-American Apparel - Appareillage Américain

-Apple - Pomme

-Banana Republic - La république de bananes

-Bell Canada - La Cloche canadienne

-Starbucks - Monnaie étoilée

-Fairweather - Météo équitable

-Sears - Cire

-Subway - La voie sous-marine

-Telus - Téléphonez-nous!

-Virgin Mobile - La vierge mobile

-San Francisco - Saint-Francis

-Payless ShoeSource - La source qui vous fait payer moins pour vos chaussures

-Winners - Saucisse
Last edited by French Castanut on Nov 10th, 2012, 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:Maybe they should just close their doors in Quebec.

Or have the French language watch dog neutered, something I could certainly support. :D

French Castanut wrote:A lot of the names then don't comply... So here's my idea:

- Gap - La craque

La crack, I love it. :dyinglaughing:

My favorite by far.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
French Castanut
Lord of the Board

Post by French Castanut »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

La crack, I love it. :dyinglaughing:

My favorite by far.

:-)
Vote C'Nutz for President of the Republic of BC May 14th!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

How totally ridiculous.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Snarf
Übergod

Post by Snarf »

this is sooooo la stupid.....
Don't they have bigger fish to fry?
Roadster
Time waster at work

Post by Roadster »

Its like they are whining a disability,,, We cant read english!!!

Wa wa wahhhhh.

I hope all them stores close up. Those names are registered and are legal names that fit with their ideas and their accounting and legalities and their,,, well ya, it was bad enough we had to carry french labeling here outside of their borders and now companies that are not French based must look like they are. Are they getting closer to their separation thing yet?
I was there many years back and of the two years planned stay for work, I left after nine months, was it ever nice kissing that place good bye with my butt cheeks and a little wind :dyinglaughing:
I didnt stop either,,, right to the westest of the west,,,, BC. My work place asked where I would like to be and I pointed west, they didnt even question it. Man I love it here.
♥ You and 98 other users LIKE this post

Return to “Canada”