Tiny, 3-lb chihuahua designated 'dangerous dog'

oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Tiny, 3-lb chihuahua designated 'dangerous dog'

Post by oneh2obabe »

A Windsor, Ont., chihuahua that can easily fit inside a purse has been designated a dangerous dog after a letter carrier claims it bit her on an ankle.

The woman didn't want to make a big fuss about it, but her manager decided to file a police report on the dog attack based on Canada Post policies.

The designation means the owner is required to muzzle Molly, who weighs three pounds, and display a dangerous dog warning sign on the property because officials say "it's a danger to society."

“We don’t even know if we can find a muzzle because her mouth is so tiny,” said owner Mitzie Scott.

Mitzie and her husband Jason own the dog and said the designation is a joke.

“We have to warn people upon coming onto our premise that we have a vicious dog on site," she said.

The city is also forcing the couple to purchase a $1-million insurance policy on the chihuahua.

“It just seems so severe to me. We love the dog and we can’t get rid of the dog, but also that’s a very expensive monthly expense," said Mitzie.

Mitzie said her husband was doing yard work when it happened.

“I didn’t realize when I let the dog out that he had the side gate open and she kind of snuck out the front," said Mitzie. “I didn’t see anything, I just heard her bark.”

Soon after the alleged bite, city and health officials arrived at the home and quarantined the dog, she said. The couple wanted to appeal the decision because they didn't see the bite mark, a picture or even a medical report.

Mitzie said the dog has never bit anyone before.

“I didn’t know what my dog did, maybe my dog jumped up and scratched her," said Mitzie "I didn’t see it, I just took her word for it."

Coun. Ron Jones is on the city's licensing commission and said this is not as silly as it may sound.

"Nowhere in the bylaw does it indicate that a dog has to be 50 pounds to be designated as a dangerous dog," said Jones

The decision is not sitting well with Windsor Mayor Eddie Francis. He's concerned about the attention this story is starting to get.

"Media is going to have fun with this one, and we'll probably get national attention on this one as well." said Francis. "Unfortunately, the owner of the dog, in my opinion, based on the information that has been shared with me, demonstrated mitigating factors that would have given the licensing commission opportunity to consider other options."

The biting incident happened in August while the postal worker was on her Matthew Brady Boulevard route in east Windsor.

The city's licensing commission rejected an appeal by Molly's owner, Jason, to reverse its decision.

“I don’t want to sound like I’m not taking responsibility because it’s my fault, she slipped out," Mitzie said. "She’s three pounds, sometimes accidents happen. I just thought the consequences were just so extreme.”

The couple thinks a warning for the first offence would have been an appropriate punishment.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/s ... erous.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Tiny, 3-lb chihuahua designated 'dangerous dog'

Post by underscore »

The dog bit someone, so it's labeled as dangerous. I don't get why it should matter what size the dog is.
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Chihuahuas are vicious and should be banned.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

I consider any chihuahua, chow, cocker spaniel, shepherd, doberman and pitbull a potentially dangerous animal.
They can all be nasty.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I consider any dog that acts dangerously a dangerous dog no matter the size.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

jennylives wrote:I consider any dog that acts dangerously a dangerous dog no matter the size.

Agreed, and I would add onto the end of your sentence...'or breed'
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

this is insane ..
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

lucky that beast doesn't have a gun license
Hate the lil ankle biters more than others, get gummed and you are supposed to smile
Meanwhile everyone there ought to be afraid LOL
3 freaking pounds, what as the bite ... I have dog slobber left more a mark
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Chihuahuas make great bass bait.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Babbitman wrote:Chihuahuas make great bass bait.

Or trolling for Alligators...
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

or hunting unicorns
My doorknob is more dangerous
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
SurplusElect
Übergod

Post by SurplusElect »

I found myself in peoples homes in a employment setting. Ask anyone in the general same field - the worst offenders are the small dogs. They nip, bite and the owners minimize their aggression and generally lack control and do not leash or put them away.

Experience Points +1
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I've only ever been bitten one time, and it was teacup poodles off the leash. A pair of them savaged my ankles while the old bat walking them snarled at me saying "you must be a bad person, they don't react like that normally; so it has to be your fault". I went in and called dog control.
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

There's a reason they are called ankle biters ... nasty little creatures.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

i have a toy pom she would never bite anyone

Return to “Canada”