Wednesday, October 22nd10.2°C
23711
22916

Cutting the fat - your services

Canada topics.

Moderators: oneh2obabe, Triple 6, Jo, ferri

Cutting the fat - your services

Postby SurplusElect » Nov 6th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Most cuts hitting services, says budget watchdog. Parliamentary Budget Office says 85% of cuts will affect services Canadians value

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... -cuts.html

This finding contrasts with Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's statement that the budget savings of $5.2 billion would affect mainly what he called "the back office."The PBO says that only 15 per cent of cuts will be to what's termed "internal services," meaning departmental overhead. The remaining 85 per cent of savings will come from programs and services that will affect the people who rely on them
.

We were told that the government would be cutting red tape and bureaucratic overhead - no need to raise taxes.

Looks like they meant 15% - the rest will be coming out of your wallets with reduced services.

Not to worry, you can just go to the private sector for the 85% of 5.2 Billion of service cuts. Your pay has gone up in the last few years, right?

For instance, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will be hit with an annual cut of $19 million in its Food Safety Program. The Food Safety Program states that its target is for 98 per cent of inspected federally regulated establishments to be in compliance with federal regulations. The CFIA did not provide information about how the $19 million cut could affect that 98 per cent compliance goal. It's a source of frustration to the PBO that most government departments refuse to deliver information about the consequences of the cuts to their programs, including what services will be diminished if not eliminated, what targets will not be met, and how many jobs will vanish.On the jobs front, although Flaherty said 19,200 jobs will disappear, of which 7,000 are to happen through attrition, the PBO could only find specific information about 500 jobs.


Clear and accountable indeed.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm

Re: Cutting the fat - your services

Postby SurplusElect » Jan 24th, 2013, 4:13 pm

Think they are cutting the fat?

They are cutting front line services and hiring more managers. Less services to help you, less taxes coming in from big business. Guess who makes up the difference?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2 ... ports.html
A new report from the Parliamentary Budget Office finds that the Conservative government's spending restraint program is focusing on front line services, while back office spending continues to rise.

That's exactly the opposite of promises made by Treasury Board President Tony Clement, who said last year that the majority of the spending cuts would target administrative and support costs and wouldn't affect service to the public.
SurplusElect
Übergod
 
Posts: 1618
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 3 posts
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 1:45 pm


Return to Canada

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: lakevixen and 5 guests