Another myth blown away

GrooveTunes
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Another myth blown away

Post by GrooveTunes »

Artofthedeal wrote:
GrooveTunes wrote:
So the survey didn't include mentally ill persons? How do you know that? You don't. There are 1000s of people not diagnosed that make poverty wages.

Once again, I believe you are either deliberately or mistakenly throwing in a red herring here to detract from the main message, that people, if they apply themselves, and are not mentally ill, have a better than even shot of getting out of a poverty level tax bracket and into a much higher one. People do not stay in static abject poverty, as many of the media, those with a doom and gloom outlook on life (mostly leftists for some reason) and those with a financial stake to benefit from the myth that this is true like government-funded advocacy groups, want us to believe.

There are so many out there that don't even realize they have a mental illness. They go about their lives the best way they know how and most are stuck in low paying jobs year after year. And thats if they are lucky enough to find employment at all. How are they getting an even shot of getting out of poverty? The survey is really not proving anything if people like this are included.
All posts are my opinion unless otherwise noted.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I have no problem with the fact there is income mobility in Canada and always has been. I have no problem with the fact that there are many people for whatever reason that will never get out of the low income group and we should be helping them as much as we can. Where I am having more and more of a problem is how the low income group is going to stay mobile. With the gap widening between the lowest wages and the cost of everything their money doesn`t go as far towards lets say getting further education. Lets take something like foreign workers holding down the wages of fruit pickers. Sure there are experienced workers out there who can make good money but unexperienced workers do not make that kind of money. Add to that the new laws regarding unemployment insurance and these people can no longer work all summer and have some time off for studies with a bit of income. There are many things like this that I believe are starting to affect the income mobility of people. I also believe it is going to get worse if something isn`t done about it. Does income mobiloity still exist, yes. Is it getting harder and harder, I believe so. In fact I`ll bet there has been quite a change since 2007 which seems to be a date they refer to in the original article.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

The problem for those in the lower percentile is their income is stagnating even more so than for other groups. 7.3% income growth over 18 years is really putting the squeeze on some folks, as their purchasing power (which doesn't mean luxuries in that group) has dropped by more than 1/3.

Even for the median of the top income group, their real purchasing power has declined by roughly 1/5.

Income stagnation is not a myth, despite the fact that there is good mobility within the income goods. Mobility doesn't mean as much if the ceiling on that mobility is declining in real terms.

I speculate that the purpose of this study was to convince Canadians that if you feel like your real income hasn't gone anywhere, it's your fault, not the companies that balk at fair compensation. That's why the attempt to "debunk" the "myth" of stagnation by showing that income mobility exists, two entirely separate issues.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.

Return to “Canada”