Salvation Army - Anti Gay

my5cents
Guru

Salvation Army - Anti Gay

Post by my5cents »

Just on the CTV News at 6:00 PM. A woman at a Saanich mall, saw a bell ringer at a Salvation Army kettle wearing a sign that read :

"IF YOU SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS: PLEASE DON'T DONATE

The woman confronted the young man attending the kettle and asked if he had permission to display the sign. He said that he did. The volunteer was later replaced..... HOWEVER.....

What I found even more shocking was that CTV contacted a spokesperson from the Salvation Army, a Kyla Ferns, who stated : "It does not align with our branding, however we do not discriminate against people for their sexual orientation....."

I guess the Salvation Army does not align with my charitable donating.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Salvation Army - Anti Gay

Post by Glacier »

Every time I hear people whine about the Salvation Army being anti-gay, I donate $20 to the kettle. I'm only up to $40 so far this year.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Sn0man
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Sn0man »

I like the salvation army. Maybe I will donate some more money to them.
Sunshine tax rebate recipient
AllthatFunk
Board Meister

Post by AllthatFunk »

my5cents wrote:
What I found even more shocking was that CTV contacted a spokesperson from the Salvation Army, a Kyla Ferns, who stated : "It does not align with our branding, however we do not discriminate against people for their sexual orientation....."

I guess the Salvation Army does not align with my charitable donating.

Branding is the method and/or means by which you propel your business into the public consciousness. I'm guessing that she doesn't care much about how the public perceives the Salvation Army because in my mind, if they supported any sign that says "IF YOU SUPPORT GAY RIGHTS: PLEASE DON'T DONATE" then they are discriminating against people for their sexual orientation.

I donate to the Salvation Army all of the time. I'm guessing that its this particular church in Saanich that feels this way as I have never in my life seen any such signs, or any other similar signs for that matter, at a Christmas Kettle.

I guess now I have to wonder if that same Salvation Army Chapter would be willing to use the donations they collect to help Gays in the community who are in need of support. Because if they do aren't they going against their own brand and if not then is that not discrimination?
I'd rather live with regrets than regret not living.

Return to “Canada”